• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
FF is Fire Red

I would know, since I am a Fire Red Hacker...

Don't ever overwrite 00 in Fire Red... BAD move, lol.

Well it's not freespace then, because I leave it on default of FF...

Man, this is bothering me.

XSE sometimes also compiles stuff wierdly, adding and removing things. And usually adding things to make things crash in a flashy way.

Exon

Hacker in Training
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 18, 2010
Alright, so I took screen shots of my problem to help, but I can't post the link yet. Thus I'll try my best to explain.

The Idea:
I'm working on re-doing PKMN Ruby while learning what I still need to learn about hacking. Using Advance Map I created a map that's an extension of the Petalburg Woods. Transportation between the two maps is supposed to be done via warps.

The Problem:
I set the map up, I've fixed warp events on both maps, and have checked that the corresponding warp#/map bank/map numbers are all correct and set the movement permissions as needed. However, when I go to test in game my character just moves over the area where the warp is set as if it were a normal area.

I've tried everything I know of. Not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Years
Strange I am having the same problems. It's strange, when I use the GOTO button in AM, it takes me where I had defined. But in game, it does nothing. I am on the verge of pulling the vista card. [Vista Card=The ultimate blame card for anything, blame vista x32/x64.].

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Alright, so I took screen shots of my problem to help, but I can't post the link yet. Thus I'll try my best to explain.

The Idea:
I'm working on re-doing PKMN Ruby while learning what I still need to learn about hacking. Using Advance Map I created a map that's an extension of the Petalburg Woods. Transportation between the two maps is supposed to be done via warps.

The Problem:
I set the map up, I've fixed warp events on both maps, and have checked that the corresponding warp#/map bank/map numbers are all correct and set the movement permissions as needed. However, when I go to test in game my character just moves over the area where the warp is set as if it were a normal area.

I've tried everything I know of. Not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on the tile you set the warp... Certain tiles have certain warp functionality, for instance, the pokemon center stairs... you can place a regular warp on them, and the stairs automatically move.

What kind of warp is it?
(In front of door, leaving house, leaving cave, pokemon center stairs, regular stairs... you know...)

Years
It depends on the tile you set the warp... Certain tiles have certain warp functionality, for instance, the pokemon center stairs... you can place a regular warp on them, and the stairs automatically move.

What kind of warp is it?
(In front of door, leaving house, leaving cave, pokemon center stairs, regular stairs... you know...)

I think he is doing it on an open tile, that it's supposed to transport him from one map to another. Like is it possible to do it from any tile or does the tile have to have certain properties?

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I think he is doing it on an open tile, that it's supposed to transport him from one map to another. Like is it possible to do it from any tile or does the tile have to have certain properties?

The tile has to have certain properties.
So your best bet would be make a replica of the tile, and add the specifications needed to it.

(If you needed an open tile to war, not surrounded by anything, you would go into the Block Editor in A-Map, and make a replica of the tile you wanna warp on. Then you set all 4 boxes to say...

61 | 00
00 | 00

(That is if the warp's top layer is supposed to cover the player, if your tile has 2 layers, and you want the player to cover both of them, you would use;

61 | 00
00 | 02
Simple enough?)

So yeah, just do that and viola, you got a working warp tile! (Remember to use that tile for the warp, and the regular version for the rest of the area.)

It isn't hard making specific warps either, most of the options to choose from are commented out.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
XSE sometimes also compiles stuff wierdly, adding and removing things. And usually adding things to make things crash in a flashy way.

XSE always compile everything right. It's just your fault. You can't decompile a script, add some commands and then happily recompile. "But..." No, you can't. Direct recompile is only applicable when you just edit/remove stuff (e.g. you change some parameters). In any other case you need to repoint the script somewhere else using dynamic labels.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
For my hack, I'm replacing many of the usual pokemon elements with other stuff.

For instance the thing I need.

I need to findout how to change how the pokeball looks when you throw it to capture and send out your pokemon. Anybody know how to do it?

This is really needed for my hack, becuase without, things realy don't click.

RaycrowX

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
A-map Overwriting

Could somebody please help me out on this? My original post is buried 5 pages back and I have no solution yet. I can't go on with my hack without an answer.
Spoiler:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Could somebody please help me out on this? My original post is buried 5 pages back and I have no solution yet. I can't go on with my hack without an answer.
On the glitched Safari Zone map, go into the Header menu, press Ctrl+H to go into advance header mode, then find free space in your rom, depending on how big it is (1000 bytes to be safe). Then take this offset, go down to the Map offset box, and paste in there. Then click, Save changes and reload map. Then test it out! :)

Exon

Hacker in Training
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 18, 2010
The tile has to have certain properties.
So your best bet would be make a replica of the tile, and add the specifications needed to it.

(If you needed an open tile to war, not surrounded by anything, you would go into the Block Editor in A-Map, and make a replica of the tile you wanna warp on. Then you set all 4 boxes to say...

61 | 00
00 | 00

(That is if the warp's top layer is supposed to cover the player, if your tile has 2 layers, and you want the player to cover both of them, you would use;

61 | 00
00 | 02
Simple enough?)

So yeah, just do that and viola, you got a working warp tile! (Remember to use that tile for the warp, and the regular version for the rest of the area.)

It isn't hard making specific warps either, most of the options to choose from are commented out.

Thanks a lot! Thinks are working almost 100% correctly. There's still some minor stuff to do here and there but those things I'll figure out on my own.

-Yay-

Anyways, I have 2 more questions and I'll stop bothering you all for a while. (hopefully)
Q1- What tile am I supposed to use as the border for the insides of buildings. I tried using block editor and turning a tile completely black to match the other "borders" that are on the in-game maps i.e. Pokemon Centers, Day Care, every other building in the game nearly....but it doesn't work. I'm not completely sure on how to make this look right.

The truly important Q2- Alright, so I've added a second map to the game. However, whenever I try to go to the map via the warp that's set up, the ROM crashes. I'm thinking that I need to find free space on the ROM like diegoisawesome told RaycrowX but I'm not entirely sure. Is this the case? And if so, how would I find the free space?
I was also thinking that I might need to expand the ROM itself to add space and everything would be fine, but again, I'm not sure on this and don't quite know how to do that either if needed...

Thanks once again.
-Exon-

(Maybe I should just stick to Mapping/Spriting lol)

Kalsard

Looking for time travellers.
Years
um -post above-
Try reinserting the map in, that happens to me sometimes.
Q: If I wanted to edit a set healing place, how would I start, like set healing place 1 is your mum, how would you change that, position, map bank and script of talking?

Also does anyone know of the offsets for the intro script, or how to edit the rival scene (I dont want to name a rival, kind of like Ruby), does advance text work?
Thanks

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Thanks a lot! Thinks are working almost 100% correctly. There's still some minor stuff to do here and there but those things I'll figure out on my own.

-Yay-

Anyways, I have 2 more questions and I'll stop bothering you all for a while. (hopefully)
Q1- What tile am I supposed to use as the border for the insides of buildings. I tried using block editor and turning a tile completely black to match the other "borders" that are on the in-game maps i.e. Pokemon Centers, Day Care, every other building in the game nearly....but it doesn't work. I'm not completely sure on how to make this look right.

The truly important Q2- Alright, so I've added a second map to the game. However, whenever I try to go to the map via the warp that's set up, the ROM crashes. I'm thinking that I need to find free space on the ROM like diegoisawesome told RaycrowX but I'm not entirely sure. Is this the case? And if so, how would I find the free space?
I was also thinking that I might need to expand the ROM itself to add space and everything would be fine, but again, I'm not sure on this and don't quite know how to do that either if needed...

Thanks once again.
-Exon-

(Maybe I should just stick to Mapping/Spriting lol)
Insert the map into itself.
[offtopic]10000th post in the thread!

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
um -post above-
Try reinserting the map in, that happens to me sometimes.
Q: If I wanted to edit a set healing place, how would I start, like set healing place 1 is your mum, how would you change that, position, map bank and script of talking?

Also does anyone know of the offsets for the intro script, or how to edit the rival scene (I dont want to name a rival, kind of like Ruby), does advance text work?
Thanks

Yes, I think you could use advance text to take away where it says "this is your rival,umm what is his name now." But it might just take away the text and not the naming thing :/ JUst make sure to have a permanent backup of your rom before doing it XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back