• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket Question

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
Years
  • Hey,

I was wondering why Team Rocket sometimes help Ash & Co. and not steal his Pikachu, for instance in the movies. I never understood it. Team Rocket is a bad organisation so why would they help Ash & Co? Or why won't they steal Ash's Pikachu?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    1. The TR you're referring to specifically, JJM/TRio, can hardly be considered anything close to villainous, barring their role in BW season one.
    2. The answer to your actual question: the power of plot convenience.

I mean, if the world's being destroyed (like in the second movie), wouldn't you set aside your differences and help out your worst enemy if he was the key to saving the world?

Some of the times where they cheer for Ash & Co. when they're down and out may also be an ego thing. They're constantly beaten by Ash & Co., so they sort of need them to feel super strong so they don't feel super weak. If Ash is losing or being cheated out by someone else, they've gotten keep their egos intact. And Jessie's got quite the ego.

danjuno

Usually Quite Serious
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Nov 14, 2015
    While I mostly agree with Garchomp, I'd like to add that James and Meowth in particular both have moments of being sympathetic to them when the rest of the trio couldn't care less.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Hey,

I was wondering why Team Rocket sometimes help Ash & Co. and not steal his Pikachu, for instance in the movies. I never understood it. Team Rocket is a bad organisation so why would they help Ash & Co? Or why won't they steal Ash's Pikachu?

Because Team Rocket is a friendly Villain !
    Like : Ice King (Adventure Time) or Keroro squat (Sgt Frog).

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2020
    Hey,

Or why won't they steal Ash's Pikachu?

Team Rocket has capture Pikachu before and has sent it to the boss. The boss receive Pikachu and was like "What is this little mouse?" Then he released Pikachu and it found it's way back to Ash. This happen in the orange league if I remember correctly. Though, Team Rocket is basically here for comic relief and a permanent running gag. They will never catch Pikachu.

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
    Years
  • Team Rocket has capture Pikachu before and has sent it to the boss. The boss receive Pikachu and was like "What is this little mouse?" Then he released Pikachu and it found it's way back to Ash. This happen in the orange league if I remember correctly. Though, Team Rocket is basically here for comic relief and a permanent running gag. They will never catch Pikachu.

I can't remember that really to be honest though it's a long time ago since I've stopped watching Pokémon for a while at D&P season, so it might be around 7 months ago since I've watched the Orange League series. But yeah, that's what I love about them (and Jessie in contests of course xD)

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2021
    My regret. But I forgot to know which kinds of some Pokémon as listed below Team Rocket currently owns or used to own?
    • Jessie's Woobat
    • Jessie's Frillish
    • James's Cacnea
    • James's Yamask
    • James's Amoonguss

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Because sometimes the circumstances of the episode (e.g. a common enemy or threat) require them to team up with Satoshi and co. and/or they just never get the chance. Musashi, Kojiro, and Nyarth are villains, but they're also sympathetic enough characters that the writers can and will use them to fight for good on occasion.

Given their characterization, I honestly wonder if Team Rocket would seriously be able to live with themselves if they actually managed to take Pikachu away from Satoshi for good. If the characters were ever to get any true resolution in the anime, that's something I'd like to see addressed.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It is because the Team Rocket Trio are not evil. Sometimes they can be, but their backgrounds show that they grew up in bad families (not really bad, but strict) and they were forced down a path such as Team Rocket.

And in most cases, would opposing forces not join forces if there is a great evil that threatens everyone?

In all honesty I think, when the time comes, the Team Rocket Trio will betray Giovanni and join the good guys.

VillageofDragons

On hiatus from PC forever
    Years
  • It is because the Team Rocket Trio are not evil. Sometimes they can be, but their backgrounds show that they grew up in bad families (not really bad, but strict) and they were forced down a path such as Team Rocket.

And in most cases, would opposing forces not join forces if there is a great evil that threatens everyone?

In all honesty I think, when the time comes, the Team Rocket Trio will betray Giovanni and join the good guys.

I agree with everything except for that last little bit.

While yes, they can be sympathetic and will help Ash and Co. when they know something's greater at stake, I doubt they will ever leave Team Rocket and join Ash and Co. Plus that would be super awkward considering how long they've tormented Ash and his friends. To just see Jessie, James, and Meowth traveling with him throughout the whole region would just be really weird and uncalled for...

I feel like, honestly, though Giovanni doesn't give a crap about Jessie, James, or Meowth anymore. If they ever did manage to capture someone's strong Pokemon and give it to "the boss" he would throw it away or give it back to them and tell them that he doesn't care what they do anymore. To put it in basic terms, I feel like Giovanni is "True Team Rocket Material", and Jessie, James, and Meowth are just Team Rocket wanna-be's who act like they're still a good part of the organization when they're not. Their obsession with Pikachu is really far-fetched too, seeing as a Raichu would be a much better catch.

All in all though they're the main running gag of the show, and they'll never be off the show for good imo. They're not too bland exactly BECAUSE they can by sympatheic, and funny at times when they argue with each other. Also how catching Pikachu isn't ALL they do. They participate in contests and events too like Jessie participating in Pokemon Contests, and James participating in that Ringer Contest in Hoenn where he almost actually won surprisingly. They are a funny trio that is also evil, but likable too.

RhydonTheAncient

RustyKNIGHT
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    I agree. Team Rocket is terrible when it comes to being villains. Where is Team Flare in the Kalos region man?

véronique

Shiroshipping, FTW!
    Years
  • Its because of the plot imo. I honestly prefer it when they don't try to capture Pikachu or any other Pokemon and actually help out Ash and the group. It feels like they are sort of developing as characters even though the development doesn't stay for very long.

I agree. I mean, no one is totally good, nor totally bad. I doubt that Marine Le Pen would open a death camp for all the étrangers en France, regardless of how big of a racist she is. Making Team Rocket 100% bad denies their humanity and makes them less well-rounded.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2015
    It was for the sake of the movies, to make them more interesting to children so they think "Oh, the bad guys are teaming up with the good guys!" But you hardly see this in the series itself.

Back