• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC WiFi Tournament

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
Years
  • yeah, scyther you should just battle him again.

i actually had no idea certain non-uber legendaries were banned myself. this is news!

So let's say a baseball player doesn't know steroids are banned. He uses them, and he wins, but he is caught with the steroids. Would he get a second chance?

This is a fair competition, so I don't want to see it turn into a "Give everyone a second chance" tournament.

Master Beaver never battled Aragornbird, so he lost. If he suddenly wanted to battle him again, would he get another chance?

The answer is "no."

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • So let's say a baseball player doesn't know steroids are banned. He uses them, and he wins, but he is caught with the steroids. Would he get a second chance?

This is a fair competition, so I don't want to see it turn into a "Give everyone a second chance" tournament.

Master Beaver never battled Aragornbird, so he lost. If he suddenly wanted to battle him again, would he get another chance?

The answer is "no."

That's a terrible metaphor.

I'd see it more like, let's say a someone who played a certain sport for X country, where steroids were legal, came to America and got caught using steroids here. Should he be banned completely, or should this be treated as a relative offense? The fact that Cresselia is basically legal everywhere but this tournament, I think it's a minor fluke. And even then, if you can't beat Cresselia, you're not doing your job as a competitive battler.

I say let's save the arguments and let's see what Alakazam decides, since it is his tournament.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2008
    I'm not too up on the sports scene, but I'm pretty sure that Barry Bonds fellow got a second chance.

Anyways, you're shirking the point by bringing in examples that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Baseball players wear batting gloves, which enhance grip and allow for a stronger swing. Ban those. It clearly gives players who use them an unfair advantage over players who don't, and centralizes the meta around hitters.

If you're arguing that all legendaries are ubers (if you are you're a moron), there's my counter point. If you're arguing that someone who clearly bested you in a contest should be disqualified on a technicality generally unseen, then it's clear you know you're outclassed and don't want to admit defeat. He beat you, but you've got to find the smallest of excuses to justify your loss and attempt to defend your moot point.

Out of curiosity, how big a part did Cresselia even play this matchup?

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
  • It doesn't matter what part it took in the battle. The point of a tournament is following the rules. It wouldn't matter to me if I lost, I just think it should be fair in the first place. Being four weeks into the tournament, everyone should know the rules. I only do battles I need to do, and I could care less about "proving my competitive spirit." This is one battle I do not need to fight again.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • How Is This For A Personal Attack!!
    animated135.gif

For mocking one of my passions, I will destroy you. Swiftly and painfully. Make whatever preparations you will.

And Blue shouldn't be given a second chance. He blatantly ignored the rules, and admittedly so.

Richard Steel said:
    Yeah, for once I actually agree with genus... I think I supported banning legendaries back in the day, but after pwning plenty of Cresselias and Jirachis (even though I feel Jirachi is a bit different), Cresselia isn't actually that hard to defeat.

So? I've beaten plenty of Regigigases and Mewtwos. Should we allow them into competition?

Samson said:
    i actually had no idea certain non-uber legendaries were banned myself. this is news!

Another case of ignoring the rules.

xXscytherXx said:
    So let's say a baseball player doesn't know steroids are banned. He uses them, and he wins, but he is caught with the steroids. Would he get a second chance?

The answer is "no."

100% with you there.

Richard Steel said:
    I'd see it more like, let's say a someone who played a certain sport for X country, where steroids were legal, came to America and got caught using steroids here. Should he be banned completely, or should this be treated as a relative offense? The fact that Cresselia is basically legal everywhere but this tournament, I think it's a minor fluke. And even then, if you can't beat Cresselia, you're not doing your job as a competitive battler.

His fault for not realizing the rules of the land. What kind of effed up country would he have to come from that condones steroids, anyhow? <.<; Cresselia, legal? Pfft. As if.

ichidad.png

Bishopk

meow :)
    Years
    • CO
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    I was going to say that, but I don't like it when people hate me.
    Anyways, I think this qualifys as an Ichida'd!-ing

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Regigigas is considered an uber.

And the general concensus is Cresselia is also not an uber. So basically Scyther lost to a standard 6 team and is *****ing about how unfair it is.

You're defending him on the merits that a rule is a rule and as such should be followed to the letter. He didn't 'blatantly ignore the rules', he skimmed over them like we all did to see if anything stood out. Naturally he saw that certain pokemon were banned, and assumed they were all ubers. You really can't fault him for not jumping to the conclusion that this tournament has a few arbitrarily banned pokemon. This is the only tournament I've ever seen banning useless 'pogeymanz' like Rotom because you can only get 1 in game. Which is a shame, I wanted to whip out a Phione against someone for comedic effect but can't because base 80 stats across the board is just too broken for pkmncommunity.

Basically, I'm calling 'foul' on this no legends rule and saying Scyther deserves the loss for his inability to counter one of the most common pokemon in the game. But even if the rule is of sound logic, you shouldn't crucify him for a single infraction when he is willing to redo this battle. Do you really want to be known as the guy who disqualified someone for using a DP standard?

On that note, institute a rule for species clause. Unless you want to see a stall team of Hippowdon/Hippowdon/Hippowdon/Cradily/Cradily/Cradily

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • Behold, the end to this discussion, since NOBODY wants to read it:

2. You must have a team of six Pokemon, not including the following:

Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Wobbuffet, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Uxie, Azelf, Mesprit, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin, Darkrai, & Arceus.

An established rule was blatantly ignored and violated. Blue should be disqualified. Case closed.
    ichidad.png

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2009
    Well me and Fabio just had our match, it was a very fun battle but the final result was 2-0 to me. Good Game Fabio!

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • I agree with you but maybe you could do it in a less arragant way. You don't want to sound like Genus do you?

Years
  • I have to agree with Ichida and co on this one. Maybe you use Cresselia (how you do not consider it as uber eludes me) in your competitions, but in the vast majority of competitions I have entered Cresselia is almost always banned. Until we knew about you using Cresselia, in over 40 pages of this thread not one person has questioned the banned Pokemon on the list.

You entered the tournament, so I guess you must have read the rules. I'm very sure it was an honest mistake, but there is no doubt Cresselia will have some advantage over the vast majority of Pokemon here.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • Better luck reading the rules in the next tournament(of course that is if alakazam decides to dq him)

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2009
    I've just noticed there are currently 30 entrants left in the tournament and the whole deal with XxScytherXx and BlueKitana would be best solved if they both advanced as that way there would be 16 entrants in the next round meaning everyone gets a match and no ****-ups like there would be if there were 15 entrants next round. Anyway, A17, you'll read this and hopefully consider as there's nothing more annoying than an odd number of participants in a tournament.

Back