• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cut Throat

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
  • Houndoom@Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EV Spread: 252 SPD / 252 SPATK / 6 HP

Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    Hidden Power [ Ice ]
    Overheat

[ It's been an effective lead in the past and I doubt that'll change. Kills Weavile, Salamence, and Alakazam leads. ]

Slowbro@Leftovers
    Nature: Bold
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EV Spread: 252 HP / 212 DEF / 28 SPATK / 18 SPDEF

Surf
    Hidden Power [ Electric ]
    Calm Mind
    Slack Off

[ My favorite Pokemon. Ever. I'm unusually lucky with HP Breeding, so I've managed to obtain a 70 Power Electric Hidden Power. Calm Mind once or twice. Then sweep. Slack Off when damage is becoming a nuisance. ]

Mamoswine@Leftovers
    Nature: Brave
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    EV Spread: 172 HP / 136 ATK / 120 SPATK / 80 SPDEF

Earthquake
    Blizzard / Ice Beam
    Stone Edge
    Substitute

[ I like :horns: so I'm using it. Should I go with Ice Beam because I won't have Hail Support so accuracy could be an issue. ]

Forretress
    @Leftovers
    Nature: Relaxed
    Trait: Sturdy
    EV Spread: 252 HP / 180 DEF / 78 ATK

Gyro Ball
    Earthquake / Explosion
    Rapid Spin
    Spikes / Toxic Spikes

[ It's Forretress. ]

Infernape@Life Orb
    Nature: Naive
    Trait: Blaze
    EV Spread: 252 SPD / 172 SPATK / 86 ATK

Close Combat
    Flamethrower
    Grass Knot
    Nasty Plot

[ Mixed Ape for the win. ]

Togekiss@Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EV Spread: 252 HP / 200 SPATK / 56 SPDEF

Air Slash
    Flamethrower
    Thunder Wave
    Roost

[ Self-Explanatory. ]

Last edited:

Spice Curry

"...For that, your game ends."
    Years
  • Houndoom@Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest Wouldn't Timid be better?

Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    Hidden Power [ Ice ] / [ Fighting ]
    Pursuit maybe?

Why d'you need two fire attacks?

Mamoswine@Leftovers
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant...I believe

Earthquake
    Ice Shard- preferred b/c of Mamoswine's speed, iirc
    Stone Edge
    Substitute

Slowbro@Leftovers
    EV Spread: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 6 SPATK

Surf
    Hidden Power [ Electric ] <-- nice
    Calm Mind
    Slack Off

=D Slowbro ftw!

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • I caught a Heatran with 68 Power Hidden Power Ice so I'm thinking of swapping it in for Houndoom.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    sorry i started reading and felt a need to whine; whyyyyy did they wreck houndoom with this crappy sprite? he used to be so rockin...
    oh and nice team :)

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • I went with CBcross. I had one bred for that purpose and so far it's annoying my roommate.

Years
  • Houndoom@Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest

Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    Hidden Power [ Ice ]
    Overheat

[ It's been an effective lead in the past and I doubt that'll change. Kills Weavile, Salamence, and Alakazam leads. ]

Hmm... I'm not too sure about this set. It looks like a mix between a Choice Specs Houndoom and the Choice Scarf Houndoom, but more Specs since it contains almost every move except HP Fighting. Since you have HP Ice I would lean more towards the Choice Scarf set that looks more like this:

Houndoom @ Choice Scarf
    Flash Fire / Modest Nature
    EVs: 252 Sp. ATK / 176 SPD / 80 ATK
    - Overheat / Fire Blast
    - Dark Pulse
    - HP Ice / HP Fighting
    - Pursuit / Reversal

Pursuit covers Ghost and Psychic types, but Reversal can be a good move if Stealth Rock or Sandstorm are tearing Houndoom apart. I do believe that if Houndoom only has 10% HP left it can 2HKO Blissey and OHKO Tyranitar, which is good if you decide to use HP Ice over HP Fighting.

Slowbro@Leftovers
    EV Spread: 252 HP / 212 DEF / 46 SPATK

Surf
    Hidden Power [ Electric ]
    Calm Mind
    Slack Off

[ My favorite Pokemon. Ever. I'm unusually lucky with HP Breeding, so I've managed to obtain a 70 Power Electric Hidden Power. Calm Mind once or twice. Then sweep. Slack Off when damage is becoming a nuisance. ]

Looks like a standard CM Slowbro.

Mamoswine@Leftovers
    Nature: Brave

Earthquake
    Blizzard / Ice Beam
    Stone Edge
    Substitute

[ I like :horns: so I'm using it. Should I go with Ice Beam because I won't have Hail Support so accuracy could be an issue. ]

You've got Mamoswine's EV's all over the place. You should really only focus on HP and Sp. ATK and if you wanted an ATK boosting nature you should have gone with Adamant. Mamoswine also does a lot better IMO as a Choice Bander and that set looks like this:

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
    Snow Cloak / Jolly Nature
    EVs: 252 ATK / 200 SPD / 56 HP
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Ice Shard / Ice Fang
    - Peck / Ice Fang

I would go with Ice Shard over Ice Fang as it helps with his average speed, destroys Dragons, and helps with his Grass weakness. Though if you like more power go with Ice Fang, but that will only mean you will have a harder time taking on Dragon types as they will most likely be faster. The last slot is up to you. Peck will OHKO Heracross and is there for pretty much that reason so I would go with this move if you're Heracross weak. Ice Fang can go there if you wanted to keep Ice Shard and wanted the more powerful Ice attack and will be more useful to you than Peck.

Forretress@Leftovers
    Nature: Relaxed
    Trait: Sturdy
    EV Spread: 252 HP / 180 DEF / 78 ATK

Gyro Ball
    Earthquake / Explosion
    Rapid Spin
    Spikes / Toxic Spikes

[ It's Forretress. ]

I have just a couple changes for this set. I would drop the DEF EVs to 96 and raise the ATK EVs to 162. Keep Spikes and replace Earthquake with Explosion. Also, if you don't think Forretress can handle Magnezone I would replace Leftovers with Shed Shell

Infernape@Life Orb
    Nature: Naive
    Trait: Blaze
    EV Spread: 252 SPD / 172 SPATK / 86 ATK

Close Combat
    Flamethrower
    Grass Knot
    Nasty Plot

[ Mixed Ape for the win. ]

Ahh... One of my favorite Pokemon, but you need more SP. ATK IMO. Raise the Sp. ATK to 232 EVs and lower ATK to 24. Other than that, this set looks fine.

Togekiss@Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EV Spread: 252 HP / 200 SPATK / 56 SPDEF

Air Slash
    Flamethrower
    Thunder Wave
    Roost

[ Self-Explanatory. ]

Togekiss doesn't need that many EVs in Sp. ATK, in fact I usually don't add any at all. My Togekiss EV spread usually looks like this: 252 HP / 240 DEF / 16 Sp. DEF. You've also got two Pokemon covering fire attacks, so I would drop Flamethrower and go with Aura Sphere or Grass Knot.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • I think Mamoswine should be Choice Scarfed. Ice Shard on Mamoswine? Ice Shard is a Special Move with very low power, resulting in very minimal damage.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    sorry i started reading and felt a need to whine; whyyyyy did they wreck houndoom with this crappy sprite? he used to be so rockin...
    oh and nice team :)

WHY do you keep complaining about the D/P Sprites? Most of the time, you'll be seeing its back, anyways.

btw, nice Hidden Power on Slowbro.

The only good HP I've ever gotten was HP Bug 60 on Pinsir. But now that it's special, it's kind of redundant to use it >.>;

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Well, hello Lex aka Mr. RP Abandoner. Thanks for the suggestions. This team hasn't been the most successful so far, so changes are appreciated. (From testing on Shoddy before breeding which every good player should do.)

Aren't Pursuit and Reversal Physical? Should I go with Mild instead on Houndoom?

I'm sorry Iceman, but I don't think I'm suited to use :horns: at all. I'm gonna go with Lex's suggestions.

Switching Hera back for Infernape. I missed my Mixedape. =(

Btw, I want my Houndoom to be able to outrun Scarfcross. How much Speed does it usually carry?

Last edited:

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • assuming all scarf heras have 252 spd adamant, houndoom has more than enough with 252 SPD to outrun it.

but still, i wouldn't use houndoom for scarf =/

maybe specs, but it's really not suited for scarf. you can use it for inflicting status + taunt (a set i use). it's very effective.

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
  • nice team... those HPs really seem to benefit them...

I personally would not expect an HP Ice coming from a Houndoom.

Years
  • Loquacity said:
    Well, hello Lex aka Mr. RP Abandoner. Thanks for the suggestions. This team hasn't been the most successful so far, so changes are appreciated. (From testing on Shoddy before breeding which every good player should do.)

Aren't Pursuit and Reversal Physical? Should I go with Mild instead on Houndoom?

I'm sorry Iceman, but I don't think I'm suited to use :horns: at all. I'm gonna go with Lex's suggestions.

Switching Hera back for Infernape. I missed my Mixedape. =(

Btw, I want my Houndoom to be able to outrun Scarfcross. How much Speed does it usually carry?

I'm not a RP Abandoner, I just get caught up in other stuff that I can't find the time to do anything with them anymore. So I've just kept out of the RP sections until my life becomes less busy.

Yes, Pursuit and Reversal are physical which is why you add on the 80 ATK EVs. Plus Pursuit gets STAB and Houndoom has a base ATK of 90. Reversal's attack power is also based off of the amount of HP Houndoom has. But now that I think about the Choice Scarf set I beginning to notice that it seems to be his weaker sets. When I used him I ran with his special sweeping set:

Houndoom @ Life Orb
    Flash Fire / Modest Nature
    EVs: 252 Sp. ATK / 216 SPD / 40 HP
    - Nasty Plot
    - Fire Blast
    - Dark Pulse
    - HP Fighting

Nasty Plot gives Houndoom a power boost and after a single NP this set can do around 54-63% of damage to Blissey. But, if you want better accuracy you can replace Fire Blast with Flamethrower. Dark Pulse gets STAB and HP Fighting smacks Tyranitar around. If you can't get HP Fighting you can replace it with moves like Will-O-Wisp (Helps cripple physical attackers like Tyranitar), Substitute (A Salac Berry could be helpful with Substitute), and Taunt (Stops Blissey from sending those annoying status effects).

Back