• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with a good in-game Team !

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    Heya everyone !

It's been a long time for me that I've played Pokémon, and now with all the new Poké's since Leaf Green/Fire Red, I could use some help with my team I've got 3 Badges, and my party include; Larvitar 28, Charizard 36, Greninja 38, Gyrados 33, Doublade 35 and Hawlucha 30 as my HM slave. I feel however that this Doublade has a lot of weaknesses, and that my team is not strong enough. I'm currently training them all till level 45 ( which Larvitar will evolve at 35 ).

Any good idea's ? I've got a few more Pokémon in the box, but I don't know a lot of them haha. And if I look up the base stats, I don't know what is considered "Good" I'm more of the attack kinda guy, not really interesting in doing a whole bunch of power up moves and then finishing them to be honest.

Cheers Tuco.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Your Gyarados seems kinda redundant, since you already have Greninja, Hawlucha, and Charizard. Also, you have a huge weakness to Electric. You should replace your Gyarados with a Grass type, like Exeggutor, Ferrothorn, Gourgeist, or Trevenant.

I personally think Doublade is pretty good, especially after evolving into Aegislash. But if you really want to replace it, you should go with Gengar, or an Electric type like Magnezone, Luxray, or Ampharos.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    Your Gyarados seems kinda redundant, since you already have Greninja, Hawlucha, and Charizard. Also, you have a huge weakness to Electric. You should replace your Gyarados with a Grass type, like Exeggutor, Ferrothorn, Gourgeist, or Trevenant.

I personally think Doublade is pretty good, especially after evolving into Aegislash. But if you really want to replace it, you should go with Gengar, or an Electric type like Magnezone, Luxray, or Ampharos.

I've ditched the Gyrados and picked a Conkeldurr or how I spell it, I've also not included a Psychic type, I reallly love Gengar, but I don't know anyone who's got a 3DS :(. And where do I catch a Magneton, I've only got 4 Badges ( Just defeated the electric one ! ). My Larvitar already evolved. About 5 levels earlier, is this normal ?

Cheers !

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Larvitar evolves at level 30, not 35! :)

Magneton can be found in the Lost Hotel in between Routes 15 and 16. Magnezone would be great for your team since you have an electric weakness, but Gengar would also work just as fine since you do have a Fighting-type weakness. Also if you have access to Wifi, getting a Gengar is pretty easy since there are plenty of people in our Trade Forums that would help you out with evolving it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    Someone traded me a Magneton, via Wondertrade :). I also obtained a Aerodactyl which is nice :).

Also, Altairis, I've swithced the Charizard in the box for a Magby (I really want a Magmar). But I can't decide between Magneton or Conkeldurr, the Conkeldurr is 61 and the Magneton is level 37.
    And how do I have a fighting weakness ? And I've got the idea that the Doublade has got a LOT of weaknesses, or am I wrong here ?

Cheers !

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    I've now put a Haunter in my team ( Want a Gengar ) to replace Doublade, and put in a Magneton and a Tyranitar. Switched out Greninja for a Gyrados and a Hawlucha for my HM's and I switched out charizard for a Magmar. Is this a good team ? Or should I ditch the Haunter ? Also is a pure type better or a dual type ? Because I got a feeling Doublade has got many more weaknesses than Haunter...

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I would bring Charizard back, simply because you have four Pokemon that are weak to Ground-types. As for Pure vs Dual type, it isn't really something you can make sweeping judgements about, it's more on a case-by-case scenario.

Doublade has a lot of weaknesses, however, it works really well as a defensive Pokemon. Besides, a lot of Pokemon have many weaknesses - that's why we have teams instead of battling 1v1. The team should cover each others' weaknesses regardless of how many they have.

MasterMedicham

A Medicham full of wisdom
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2016
    You don't need a Tm slave in X and Y. Maybe someone who can surf, fly and rock smash but that's it. I have completed Y without any slave and if I needed strength I have went back to a Pokemon center and shift to a Pokemon who can learn it. You are wasting both better moves and one Pokemon who can help your team becoming stronger instead of having a Tm slave.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    You don't need a Tm slave in X and Y. Maybe someone who can surf, fly and rock smash but that's it. I have completed Y without any slave and if I needed strength I have went back to a Pokemon center and shift to a Pokemon who can learn it. You are wasting both better moves and one Pokemon who can help your team becoming stronger instead of having a Tm slave.

I've never thought of it like that, is Haunter a Pokémon to carry around ? I know he can/is usefull in the E4, but still, I don't want to carry him around wasting a slot.. I've now in my party : Trevenant ( I need a good grass, or should I get my bulbasaur to evolve or a scyther ? ). A Magmar, Tyranitar, Gyrados ( Or should I get my squirtle out and train him ? ) And a Magneton ( I'd love an Electabuzz though, or should I get my Pikachu out ? ).

Edit: Got one slot left since I ditched Hawlucha, I've got a Snorlax and a buttload of other pokemon, maybe an Aerodactyl ? Or the Yvethal I caught ?

MasterMedicham

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2016
    Try to make a base of types to want to have in your team and then start to choose Pokemon. Which Pokemon do you have now in your team? You are making me confused :p

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    Try to make a base of types to want to have in your team and then start to choose Pokemon. Which Pokemon do you have now in your team? You are making me confused :p

Haha I'm sorry :P. I can't decide, I now took Bulbasaur as a grass pokemon, and squirtle obviously as a water, a Magmar because I love him :P. Tyranitar, Magneton and Conkuldurr.

I don't know which type, I like Ghost and Psychic yet they don't have very much use in-game until the E4 right ? Because that's where I'll take my Alakazam out and turn it into a god training it till like level 90 and take it up against the Psychic team..

PS: The Supertraining should I focus on weaknesses ( let's say for Magmar speed ) or focus on his strengths ?

Edit: Also, my Tyranitar I've been checking his moves on serebii. He has got a higher attack stat, should I teach him physical attacks instead of special attack moves ? And my Magmar has 3 fire moves. It's better for a Pokémon to have moves of different types right ?

Last edited:

MasterMedicham

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2016
    Bulbasaur is a good choise for a grass type! But I think you chould change squirtle to another water type. It isn't so strong and it needs to mega evolve to be good. You can't mega evolve your whole party every match so it's bad to have many mega evolutions in your team.
    Use Alakazam! If it learns shadow ball it can take out the champions Mega Gardevoir.
    I like strength more so if you ask me, I think you should focus on that ;)

And try to learn every Pokemon 4 different type moves. Then you will be very powerful! Tyranitar for example; earthquake, stone edge, crunch & brick break :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    And try to learn every Pokemon 4 different type moves. Then you will be very powerful! Tyranitar for example; earthquake, stone edge, crunch & brick break :)

Yeah I'm stuck with the Magmar which knows 4 fire moves (I'm going to give him 2, for the reason fire blast only has 5 pp and flamethrower si not as strong ) I'mtaking a level 100 seviper with me which I want to learn either flamethrower or earthquake, I ditched blastoise for Gyrados, and I want to get a Ponyta, where do I get one ? My Venusaur is level 62 Magneton 75 and Tyranitar 76, and Magnar ariybd 75 somewhere. I did not think I needed my Alakazam, because I'll be taking it for just one pokemon.. I figured my Seviper could take him with a few bite's and a poision jab...

Any tips ? I'm training my pokemon in victory road till they all learned their final moves :).

Well I DEMOLISHED the Champs Mega Gardevoir with my level 78 Tyranitar's Stone Edge or something, didn't give me much trouble, did not even use my Venusaur or Alakazam, used Magneton, Tyranitar, Conkeldurr ( which is the BEST against the dragon girl, it says Ice for Tyrantum or something but it's useless using ice against him ) and my Gyrados :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    Nice man! Your team is good as it is now :)

I've decided to switch Alakazam for HaunterGengar because I like him more haha :P.
    And, my Tyranitar get's killed with psychic attacks, evne though bulbapedia says he's immune ? How does this happen ?

classiccartoonsftw

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I've decided to switch Alakazam for HaunterGengar because I like him more haha :P.
    And, my Tyranitar get's killed with psychic attacks, evne though bulbapedia says he's immune ? How does this happen ?
    Did you mean Fairy type attacks? Because Tyranitar is immune to Psychic type attacks.

classiccartoonsftw

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    My Tyranitar got mauled by Mewto with "Psychic" unfortunately :(. I don't know how it's possible !
    That Mewtwo must have used Miracle Eye! In case you don't know, Miracle Eye is a move which allows the user to hit Dark-type Pokemon with Psychic-type attacks.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    That Mewtwo must have used Miracle Eye! In case you don't know, Miracle Eye is a move which allows the user to hit Dark-type Pokemon with Psychic-type attacks.

I don't know it was the wild one you catch in the Unknown Dungeon ( or Cave I can't remember ).

I'm now trying to complete my Pokédex, how do I get a Magmortar ? Also, all my Pokémon now have Pokérus, how do I benefit from it ?

Back