• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon X Pokedex tips?

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2015
    So I'm trying to complete most of the National Pokedex to get the Shiny charm in ORAS (I might also get it in X but later on). I completed the ORAS (AS) Pokedex and am transfering all the Pokemon via Pokebank (Some Pokemon I don't have anymore because of trading). Now for X I need to complete the Pokedex but have All the Pokemon from it so I can transfer it to my ORAS (That means like All evolution's of one pokemon but individual of them, so if it has 3 evolution's I need 3 Pokemon). I'm just wanting some tips as the Kalos region Pokedex seems harder then the Hoenn one. So if you guys have some tips and tricks or shortcuts (Not Hacks or Cheats) that would be nice thanks guys :)

P.S. I know to use the internet like GTS and Wondertrade as much as I can :)

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • So what I understood was that you want a living dex? Meaning you want every pokémon in every stage. Pokémon X/Y has a lot of pokemons you can catch and the best way to catch them all is trying to complete each part of the pokedex. So start with the central part, then coastal then mountains.

Some tips:
    - Use sites like serebii to check location and encouter rates of pokémon.
    - Carry a lot of diverse pokéballs instead of only ultra balls to increase odds of cathing pokemon. Recommended pokéballs are quick ball for the 5x catch rate on first turn. Dusk ball for 3,5x in caves and night. Repeat balls for
    3x for already registered pokémons. Dive balls for fishing, nest ball for water/bug types. Luxury ball for pokémon that evolve by friendship.
    - Check the trading forum or search for a local place where you can trade with people.
    - Instead of tryin to re-catch pre-evo stages of a pokémon you already evolved breed them instead.
    - And of course have a high level pokemon with false sweep to not KO pokémon and have a pokemon that can induce sleep or paralyze.

I really recommand going over to the trading forum to try and get some people to help with filling your dex. Because some legendaries are rather hard to come by and for trade evolutions that require items its also very easy to get scammed by random people on the gts or passerby.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I'm in the process of catching all the Pokemon in X/Y. I've done it for Gens 1-4, and now working on 5 and 6. My process is usually:

1. Beat the Elite Four. You can try to catch all the Pokemon as you go, but in a lot of games, more Pokemon are obtainable post Elite Four.
    2. Grind the Elite Four until you have a Pokemon that can solo the Elite Four and a high level Pokemon that can learn False Swipe. XY made it much easier than past games since False Swipe is now a TM. I'm rocking Charizard (Mega Charizard X) with Dragon Claw, Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Heat Wave right now, and a Pangoro as my false swiper.
    3. Catch all the Pokemon that are obtainable in the region. Yeah sure you could just transfer all of the Pokemon from ORAS to XY but that's not as fun as catching everyone you can in XY. Sometimes, you can find really useful maps like this one https://imgur.com/x3V0mjw that will really help you out in that department. By this point your false swiper should be level 60 or so, and should be able to false swipe everything down to 1 hp. Like KillerTyphlosion said, you want lots of different types of Pokeballs. You should have plenty of money from beating the elite four so many times.
    4. Organize your living Pokedex. At this point, its time to start making your living Pokedex. I like naming my boxes "1-30", "31-60", etc. That way its nice and easy to see which Pokemon goes in which box.
    5. Write down which families of Pokemon you are missing. So like if you have a Bulbasaur but not Ivysaur or Venusaur, there's no need to write this down, as you'll just evolve your Bulbasaur. Use a site like Serebii or Bulbapedia to figure out how to get the ones you don't have. On the same list, write down how you obtain them. Can you obtain them only in ORAS? Do you need to do an event to get them? Once I have all that written down, I like to reorganize them into method of obtaining them. So all the Friend Safari Pokemon are in a list, ORAS exclusives, Y only, events, etc.
    6. It's time to head back to the Elite Four! With the readdition of the Experience All in this game, this step became really easy (yet time consuming). Grab your E4 Soloer and 5 Pokemon that evolve from level up (preferably one that knows fly) and run through the E4. Switch out the ones that evolve until you have everyone evolved. Note: Some Pokemon (looking at you Caterpie/Weedle/generic bug of every generation) evolve at something stupid at level 10. That's a waste to take through the E4, it'll be like level 20 after the first fight. Evolve those in Victory Road to save time and space in your E4 runs. You have so many E4 runs that every little bit that you can save counts.
    7. Get a Pokemon from each family you're missing! Most of the ones I'm missing are from friend safari/ORAS exclusive/events, and IIRC most of the friend safari ones are also obtainable in ORAS via Mirage Forst/Mountain/whatever, so in your case, you probably have most of these. I'd get the friend safari/mirage whatever Pokemon in ORAS, friend safari is so annoying. If you insist on doing friend safari though, I recommend going to somewhere that has a lot of people exchanging safaris. I use /r/friendsafari and safaricode, and I'm sure this site has something similar. This is another step that can take forever, so I'd recommend switching off on doing step 6 and this step back and forth so you don't get burned out.
    8. Breeding time! At this point your dex should be getting pretty close. Slap a ditto in the day care with whatever you need breeded, grab a Pokemon with Flame Body to help hatch eggs, hop on your bike, and go wild. This can probably be added into the mix while doing 6 and 7.
    9. At this point you should be down to event Pokemon and Pokemon that evolve in special ways, via trade/stone/whatever. Serebii if you don't know how to evolve them, if you do know, then go do it!
    10. Pray that events happen, or find someone that's willing to part with their event Pokemon.

Phew this post got long. Like I said though, I've done this for 4 of the 6 generations. It's definitely tedious, but so worth it when you finish.

Years
  • The others have already given you top tips, but the ones I most agree with is to keep a checklist so you know what Pokemon you have obtained, and given the fact there's now 720-something Pokemon it's always handy.

PC's Trade Corner section is there if you ever need to trade for something, like version exclusives. There are certain Pokemon found only in X/Y and others in OR/AS, but then you also have to break it down to ones that are only obtainable in one version out of all four games.

Looking up encounter locations is also crucial, sites like Serebii will be your best friend here. Also, in 6th Gen some Pokemon are only caught in their evolved forms so you'll need to breed or trade as well if you want the pre-evolutions.

And also make sure to consult this thread as well if you're confused: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=341008

Back