• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 Recalled [Update 10/7/16 - No longer for sale, discontinued]

Years
  • http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/02/technology/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall/

Basically another case of batteries catching fire while charging. In the coming weeks, Samsung hopes to issue a revision of the product and has stated that users with a potentially-defective unit in affected regions will be able to exchange the recalled model for a newer release at no cost.

Anyone else here experience this, or have a Note 7 under part of the recall?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I'm shocked that they didn't find this during testing...

Years
  • Honestly, in occurrences like this, I would just flat out change my device, because you'd never know if the revisions could have other defects that may require yet another recall.

Now I'll just wait to see if anybody files 'suit against Samsung demanding refunds for the defective products that they may want to not use even after the revisions come out.

tokyodrift

Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Honestly, in occurrences like this, I would just flat out change my device, because you'd never know if the revisions could have other defects that may require yet another recall.

Now I'll just wait to see if anybody files 'suit against Samsung demanding refunds for the defective products that they may want to not use even after the revisions come out.

I think this is the reason why I don't rush out immediately to get the newest device. I rather stick with my old one until they get all the bugs out.

Years
  • i dont think the test units had this issue but for some reason the batteries in the note 7 that went out to the public did it makes me wonder if someone deliberately sabotaged the batteries like someone secretly working for apple

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • This was a case I've heard from a friend of mine who works as a phone screener - they had shipments of Note 7 laying around but they had to recall them for this very reason. Kinda concerning how they've got them and only found out that they were faulty. s: Something serious could of happened.

Years
  • You would think this would be found during testing O_o
    Sometimes not. A lot of products can go out onto the market after testing and then suddenly problems arise.

Think about back in 2010 when the first releases of the iPhone 4 had bad antennas/reception because the phone was being held a certain way. That was definitely not something found during testing.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Oh shit, better tell my brother, lol. "There's a very slim chance anything will go wrong", he says - even before he got his replacement he still used his Note 7 every day with no worries. But yeah, this is ridiculous! Just knowing that your phone is capable of bursting into flames has to be so unsettling.

Years
  • it could of been possible the chinese person got a note 7 that did not have the battery replaced yet but i have heard not everyone returned there note 7 for replacement or refund hich sounds like to me that they are trying to wait for fire and then sue samsung

Guest123_x1

I think this is the reason why I don't rush out immediately to get the newest device. I rather stick with my old one until they get all the bugs out.
    The frequent recalls over batteries in portable devices is one of the reasons why I don't like how fast information technology is evolving these days. Seems like a new device version comes out every couple of months, which everybody rushes out to buy, but oh, wait, something's wrong-a recall has been issued over the battery or a hardware component with a high propensity for failing. Worse yet, despite what some people want, there probably isn't that much time for reliability testing these days considering how fast everything's changing.

On a somewhat unrelated side note, this kind of issue with recalls coming up frequently reminds me of how the major pharmaceutical companies are coming out with these "wonder drugs", which are advertised heavily on prime-time network television when such products come out, but all of a sudden, somebody has a bad reaction to them, and BAM! Trial lawyers start putting out endless streams of ads on daytime (especially syndicated) television telling people how "dangerous" these new drugs are, and that viewers who have been injured by such medicines or implants should call the advertising law firm because they "may be entitled to substantial compensation." I'm kind of surprised now that this tactic for advertising impending lawsuits hasn't spread to defective technology products including the Galaxy Note 7, given how regularly this issue comes up.
    [/rant]

Years
  • Man Samsung, you really need to get your shit together.

Absolutely. My family recently had to buy a new microwave and we ended up getting a Samsung, so it's unsurprising my mother dreads the brand due to the exploding phone batteries. Still, it's a sign that one shall never rush out to buy the latest product.

Years
  • Absolutely. My family recently had to buy a new microwave and we ended up getting a Samsung, so it's unsurprising my mother dreads the brand due to the exploding phone batteries. Still, it's a sign that one shall never rush out to buy the latest product.
    Samsung home appliances are within a totally different division of the company than their mobile devices.

tokyodrift

Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Oh wow... I haven't heard anything about their home appliances having issues until now.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I think it's actually kind of expected that they have this kind of problem. This is what happens when you try to rush out the next new gizmo; and this is why I avoid flagship devices that are brand spanking new from brands like Samsung. It's rare that I actually buy something like hardware on it's release day due to the high rate of failure. The more incidents a company has like this; the longer I wait for the product to be "declared stable" and "usable" by reviewers.

Years
  • Boosting this yet again - another replacement Note 7 caught fire on an Southwest Airlines jet and forced an evacuation.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/smoking-samsung-note7-prompts-airline-evacuation/story?id=42593666

Just how much testing are these batteries going through? Will the Note 7 become a commercial flop if Samsung can't get these battery issues under control?
    I wonder if maybe an original model got mixed somehow, although I highly doubt it with the IEMI number being listed as not part of the recall.

Either way, this is not good for Samsung.

Years
  • What's next? Samsung TV sets? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't even say that we have like 5

This is pretty sloppy of them though :/ If even the replacements are having the same issue, why not use a battery from a phone that didn't catch fire?

Back