• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Burnout

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    It happens sometimes, not just with pokémon. Usually I just play something else when it happens, come back later. I don't rush to go back to it if it happens.

Years
  • Yeah, plenty of times.

Now, this is gonna sound like I'm lying but this specific forum is actually what fixed my burnout, haha. I wasn't really feeling like playing anything until I came here and started chatting about the games in the DCC. It made me excited to play the games again. 8)

I'm kinda in the same boat with you here Achromatic. When I finished the game, and tried to breed for competitive gaming, I was shocked on how tedious breeding is. But when I find someone in breeding club to talk about it, it inspires me to push harder. Now I started breeding again :)

@Laguna

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll try to play Zelda or something once burnout strikes me again.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Hmm. Now that I think about it, I haven't had a burnout since between BW and BW2 came out. I really don't remember very much about what happened, but once I beat the e4 I just stopped playing. I think I got hooked on some online game and forgot about Pokemon for a while, had some stuff going on behind the scenes to iirc. Luckily BW2 came around I got back into it, been strong since :D.

Well, I am sure I would have had another if not for this forum. I am pretty confident that if I had not stumbled across the challenges section (yep, I didn't join for Rom hacking!) after joining I don't think I would be here today. There is a challenge for everything, so if you need something to do then it's your best bet.

pkmin3033

Three times. The first time was when Ruby and Sapphire came out; the games really put me off the franchise. FR/LG and Emerald fixed that; the former were just what I needed to get me back into it, and Emerald warmed me up to the third gen by just being a better game.

Second time was when Black and White were released...god, those games were awful. I pushed through Black when I should have sold it there and then, and just the thought of Pokemon was enough to put me off it for a while. I got back into it again with B2/W2 though, which were somehow much more enjoyable.

Third time is right now, and honestly I don't know how I'm going to break out of it. I lost literally everything when my X file corrupted, and I just...can't be bothered any more. I've tried playing earlier games and my interest fizzles out. Alpha Sapphire didn't hold my interest. This may or may not be the end for me as far as the mothership titles are concerned.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't believe I've ever burnt myself out, thankfully. If it were to happen, I'd likely take a year-long break to refresh myself.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I sometimes had burnouts which happened after I beat the games by beating the E4 and Champion, but what I did to fight it is that I play another game or do something else other than Pokemon related, and then once I feel like playing another Pokemon game/challenge I will go back and play it.

To be fair, it's also the same with other games for me.

Years
  • Three times. The first time was when Ruby and Sapphire came out; the games really put me off the franchise. FR/LG and Emerald fixed that; the former were just what I needed to get me back into it, and Emerald warmed me up to the third gen by just being a better game.

Second time was when Black and White were released...god, those games were awful. I pushed through Black when I should have sold it there and then, and just the thought of Pokemon was enough to put me off it for a while. I got back into it again with B2/W2 though, which were somehow much more enjoyable.

Third time is right now, and honestly I don't know how I'm going to break out of it. I lost literally everything when my X file corrupted, and I just...can't be bothered any more. I've tried playing earlier games and my interest fizzles out. Alpha Sapphire didn't hold my interest. This may or may not be the end for me as far as the mothership titles are concerned.

Wow, we dislike the same games! I don't like gen III either except for the remakes and I don't like gen V at all.

But pokemon X rekindled my interest maybe because of easier game mechanics (breeding, obtaining rare pokemon, finding shiny, etc.) If I can share an advise as to fight this burnout, it is to try something new in the game that you haven't done before. For me that's using the pokeradar and trying to find shiny 'mons to breed. Good luck, I hope you won't entirely lost interest on the franchise. :)

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • I haven't had one yet, and if things go the way I want them to, I never will, haha.
    To be fair, I was close to experiencing a burnout a few years ago, but my cousin traded over his entire collection of competitive Pokemon to me before going off to college, and from that I developed an interest in breeding and (occasionally) competitive battling. That saved me from becoming disinterested in Pokemon, fortunately.

I still enjoy the games a lot, so I don't see myself facing a burnout in the next few years or so.

Years
  • I'm going through one right now with the Gen 6 games, seeing that currently I'm more interested in the rom hacking side of things. Throughout my time playing the series I've had multiple burnouts, so this one certainly won't last forever; competitive will likely reel me back into it when I get in the mood for IV breeding.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I get it constantly. When I play Pokemon, I get really into it and play constantly, so after a while I just end up needing a break from it. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I focus on the most monotonous tasks in the games, like breeding and EV training. I normally get hooked again as soon as a new game comes out though~

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Does it count if I am taking a break from normal Pokemon?

Because the sole reason why I have still yet to fully-complete AS(As in, the DE, the entire postgame, etc) is because I'm too distracted doing Nuzlockes.

Years
  • Does it count if I am taking a break from normal Pokemon?

Because the sole reason why I have still yet to fully-complete AS(As in, the DE, the entire postgame, etc) is because I'm too distracted doing Nuzlockes.

Hmm... Yes, it's a burnout from normal pokemon because you tend to do nuzlockes instead of playing it normally.

But experiencing a major pokemon burnout really is a lot harder than that because it really makes you want to keep your pokemon games for good and not touch them for a long period of time. It really feels like doing everything in-game is a chore and you don't enjoy it anymore.

But hopefully we all get back to Pokemon games one way or the other. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2016
    I did for about 1 year, just getting back into it now, Rom hacks and nuzlockes are holding my interest right now.

X&Y were garbage, i didnt enjoy them in the slightest so i stopped playing after i beat the games. ORAS i havent played, seems okay.

I experienced one after i finished BW but i started enjoying the games again when i finally picked up BW2, i just thought BW2 was a chill game if you took it slow.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • Yes, I have experienced it, but it never lasted more than a year. Sometimes I just need a break- in my burnout times I'd just play other games like zelda, animal crossing, etc. But I could never completely burn out on it.
    I sometimes burn out on physical games in favor of online play, or vice versa. But... I don't think I've ever gone more than 6 months without playing a Pokemon game.

Acnologia Rising

Koliax Rogue
    Years
  • Yep. I have experienced this a few times.

My first (core) pokemon game was Platinum, and was the only DS game I had at the time (this was in 2010), once I completed it the first time and did all I could, I stopped. Got bored of Pokemon and stayed away from it.

Then comes along Gen V. I didn't get the first B/W games, due to money and stuff. Instead I got B2 the christmas of the year it came out (Never did get B/W). Again, completed it, did everything I could, and again...I got bored of pokemon.

Fast forward to the first Announcement of X/Y. The announcement got me interested in Pokemon again, but due to money issues, never did get any more Pokemon games, so I turned to Emulation, and watching people on YouTube who did pokemon stuffs. I played through Fire Red, then Emerald, then did an Emerald Randomised Nuzlocke, then discovered ROM hacks. Since then, I haven't had a pokemon burnout. So I guess it's thanks to X/Y that I enjoy pokemon so much again XD

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I'm kind of experiencing that now. I've finished X twice now and I can't be bothered to do another run, this time a Nuzlocke. I really don't feel like buying OR/AS, and I'm not patient enough to wait for some other new game. I also have Pokemon White, though it's too long-winded for me to spend time on...

The only thing keeping me in the series is competitive battling simulators and creative fan stuff, really.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I had Pokemon burnout after Black and White came out. It lasted a little under a year but competitive Pokemon and minor interest in ROM hacking brought me back in. I was really excited when Pokemon X and Y came out but I burned out again a few months later. I have lost interest in almost every aspect of Pokemon as of now. I might randomly boot up a Pokemon game or even more rarely do competitive battling or even try to play a ROM hack from time to time but I don't stay interested for long. Pokemon is hard to let go as it got me through most of my childhood but it really doesn't interest me that much anymore. I still want to keep up with series but I just want to see how much (or little) Pokemon has changed.

Back