• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B/W and B2/W2 are similar to R/B and G/S

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 5, 2018
In terms of story structure and layout.

In both B/W and R/B your main character goes about completing the league challenge but gets involved with a evil organization that their hight because of plot barrier and eventually take them down so that you can continue. Also the rival is always one step ahead of you and eventually takes the title of pokemon league champian before you defeat him and become the champion.

In B2/W2 and G/S, it is set some years after the events of the first game and the evil organization has fallen from glory and is now using much more aggressive tactics to achieve their goal. Your rival is intimately related to the evil organization and wants them all gone for personal reasons and is very angisty but as the game progresses learns that his methods will harm his pokemon and will make him no different from the group he despises. Because of that he has a change in attitude and becomes more caring at the end. Also he does not become the champion but instead the dragon master does.

Granted this is a very generalized view of the games and there are many major plot differences but I couldn't help but notice it while I was replaying white 2 while watching a lets play of gen2.

Your thoughts?

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
That could be the case, after all these games were intended to be a 'fresh start' for the franchise.

It seems like Gen V gets a lot of love now that Gen VI is out. I personally have returned to play them again and found them to be a lot more enjoyable and engaging than the first time around.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 5, 2018
True, espically so for me scince the Gen V games and the 3DS were the first games I bought with my own money. Also, gen VI(pokeX for me) just seemed disapointing for me, it really felt like a rehash game and the original sections just rub me the wrong way with the only good section being exploring lost hotel.

But enough ranting, in W2 for clays gym, it becomes a cakewalk if you decide to go get the free deerling although to be fair you have enough pokemon given to capture to murder clay's excadrill: e.g. a dig scrolipede. To think I had such a hard time trying to take it down the first time.

Years
Cheren never becomes Champion per se, but he does beat the Elite Four before Alder gets busted by N's legendary. :P But where does Hugh think he might hurt his Pokémon if he keeps pursuing it? Before you battle the Shadow Triad in the Plasma Frigate, they do tell Hugh that his Pokémon might have actually came back to him had Ghetsis succeeded with the original games.

All this said though, this is a really nifty analysis, I mean Cheren is rather like Gary in how he's always getting badges around the same time as you, so there's that. And Team Rocket wants to control Pokémon in GSC while in B2W2 they want to freeze Unova and then take Pokémon by force (there are still Team Plasma grunts there like that), while the rival in GSC and especially HGSS does come to be more realizing. So this is a good analogy.

You know, in a thread I made earlier in the year, one person that that "GSC and B2W2 are polar opposites" (something like that) and didn't really explain what he meant at all. But they aren't, and this kinda shows that (and I really hope he didn't mean in terms of quality or gameplay).

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 5, 2018
True, those are inconsistencies with the overall structure.It does seem that blue was split into both Cheren and N. I have to replay W1 again though for confirmation since my memmory of the game is a tad foggy.

With reguards to Hugh it isn't stated outright but IMO he was really overbearing and strict with is pokemon by keeping a close eye on them all the time because of paranoia but over the cause of the game learns to relax and take it easier with pokemon and even joins the ex-plasma pokemon care center by post game.

With reguards to GSC and B2W2 being polar opposites, I guess he was talking about how you could choose which of the 3 gyms to fight midgame while B2W2 follows a strict gym progression. Personally I prefer the strict gym progression unless they made level tiering for every gym so that they are always of the appropriate level.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I think it is half coincidence and half on purpose. BW is meant to mirror the original games - since this is how Gamefreak chose to go about creating new games that would be a "fresh start" for everyone. There are many parallels, such as the region only being full of Unova Pokemon, but I also think that Gamefreak chose to mirror parts of the first games on purpose to create some sort of extra throwback for the fans who were there since the start.

The games also might feel extremely similar because Pokemon's storyline formula hasn't changed that much over the years; they're all bound to feel the same to some.

Back