• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Formal Greeting

Years
Hey everyone, I guess I need to post something here for the sake of decorum, so let's grind this out:

Long time lurker -- I found this place by accident over a year ago and I've never really left my viewing perch for long. There have been multiple times I thought of signing up (my birthday, to coincide with my anniversary if I managed to integrate with the community long enough for it to matter; New Year's Day; April Fool's Day, so I could make a dumb joke about it here in the intro thread) and then for whatever reason I... didn't. And I could never think up a satisfying name or a fitting avatar, and in truth I'm not usually one for much interaction with people in the first place, and I haven't really had any experience with forums like this since 2008 or so...

But still, this place has held my attention for a long time, and the people seem nice, and the community as a whole is stable and not nearly as dysfunctional as most places online. Why not drop anchor and see what happens? So I threw together the embarrassing ensemble you see in this post's header with just enough thought to make sure everything was working correctly and here I am.

So yeah, might as well talk Pokemon since that seems like the obvious point of common interest here. I've been around since the beginning of the series in the West; I still remember magazine advertisements before the launch, basically saying "Pokemon -- they are coming!" with an image of then-random monsters. I'm predisposed to liking this sort of thing, immediately recognized said monsters after seeing the anime by chance, bought Blue when the games were released, and I've been following the series with varying degrees of intensity ever since. Usual information regarding the core games that seems to come up in these intro threads, to get it out of the way:

Gen V is my favorite; I thought most of the ideas and content here worked really well. B/W felt like a new beginning to the series I hadn't known I wanted, and B2/W2 compensated for the originals' faults, also paying homage to everything that came before them. Gen III isn't far behind, mostly for the Hoenn games. (Still the best region ever, geographically speaking? ORAS is pretty great too.)

Emerald is probably my favorite single game -- still the most complete in the series.

Favorite type is probably Poison. I don't really have a favorite Pokemon so much as a rotating pool that spring to mind whenever I'm asked what I like. Right now I'm feeling things like Toxicroak, Slaking, Hippowdon, Cofagrigus... even Unown, though it's obviously worthless in a fight. My tastes usually revolve around design and lore; I understand and keep up with the deeper mechanics, if not the metagame, but I haven't really cared about the competitive aspects of the series since the third generation. (I might stop by the Battle Server and fool around a bit anyway at some point.)

For all that though, I'll probably be most active in Video Games and some of the other general sections.

I guess that's it then? If you reply, maybe ask me something -- I'll be compelled to respond to everything anyway, and that will give me more to say than "Uh... Buh... Uh..." Or not, but in that case you can expect something generic in return. =P

I also have a tendency to ramble and make needlessly long posts. Regardless, I'm looking forward to meeting people and giving this whole forum business a shot! Now to click the "Submit New Thread" button before I have the chance to regret it, and...

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Hi Knucklewalker! Welcome!

I see what you mean by your tendency to ramble and make needlessly long posts, but that doesn't matter. You introduction is a lot more interesting to read than people just saying hi and their name. It's good to see you decided to join after a long time of procrastination.

You seem to know the forum pretty well already, so I don't think there's really a point in showing you the directions, but maybe you'd be interested in Toxic to the Touch, the poison type fan club, as you say it's your favorite type. You say you expect yourself to be mostly active in Video Games. What games, other than Pokémon, do you play?

I hope to see you around here!

Years
Oh wow fellow Unova fan, definitely always awesome in my books because I know the region needs more than just being hated on all the time. On that note, welcome aboard and I hope everything's all good for you!

Poison-types are pretty cool, and while not exactly my fave type it does have its interesting Pokemon. But based on the fact you'll likely be spending your activity in the Video Games board tells me you're an avid gamer? Being a competitive player yourself is also interesting, maybe you will consider visiting the Showdown server sometime because there's lots of different battles going on over there all the time.

I don't have much else for you right now, but have fun and do stick around. I'm always open for a visitor message if you ever want someone to talk to.

Years
Unova fan?? Really really? If I had a cookie I'd send it over to you because the fifth generation is totally my favorite too and probably always will be.. though Hoenn is a very, very close second. Poor B/W and especially B/W2 were so underrated despite how awesome I thought they were. ;_;

But yeah, better late than never to join, right? So it's great that you finally decided to create an account rather than lurking about for such a long time. :) Hope you'll enjoy it enough to stick around since we'd love to have you. Have a good time and do ask if you ever need any help!

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
Hey, welcome to PC! I love Gen 5 as well, it just feels like the most well-designed out of all the games. I sort of hesitated to start posting as well, I first found this forum last year and didn't start being active until what, sometime last month?

Anyway, since you mentioned questions, here's one: We know you like Pokémon, but you have to play other videogames, right? Say what other game series you like.

I hope you have fun, and if you'd like to do anything or just talk drop me a PM.

Back