• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Original or Remakes?

Years
  • I prefer the originals, because I think they were more challenging. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the remakes. They are great improvements from the originals, but I just like the originals more. I guess nostalgia plays into it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    The winky face tells me it's a joke, but my mind reads it in a serious tone

Both. :P

It is interesting, though, that we have a remake (FRLG) that is exactly as old and outdated as an original that has been remade (RSE).

For those of you who prefer the remakes for all the remade games... Why do FRLG hold up better for you than RSE? Is it because FRLG don't have a new and improved version like RSE do? Or, have FRLG actually not held up well at all and are only better than RBY by default?

Years
  • They both have their place and both have pros and cons and are enjoyable for different reasons. The originals are obviously exciting to play as they're all new to explore and new Pokemon to encounter but remakes keep up with technology so the games look and sound better and have smoother game play. They usually add in something new too. So ultimately I'd say I prefer the remakes.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I like all the remakes more than the originals. Not that I don't respect the originals, because I really do... but I've yet to come across a Pokemon remake that didn't just flatout improve on practically every aspect of the original version. The one exception, based purely on what I've -heard-, is OR/AS' lack of a Battle Frontier. I was never able to get very interested in R/S/E, so I never got that far... but it sounded pretty cool, and I'll admit it's kind of a shame we didn't get them in the remake.

Alpha Sapphire is actually my favorite game in the series, and while I didn't like Emerald when I played it, and HATED the region... AS made me completely change my mind about it. It's now not only my favorite game, but my favorite region.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    So far the only remakes that I appreciate are the FireRed and LeafGreen versions as well as HeartGold and SoulSilver because of their updated mechanics.

I haven't played RG for almost a decade already, when I played again this year. It proved to be too much for me, despite I started from Gen I. Probably I'm too into the mechanics from the Pokémon games nowadays.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I much prefer the originals. Not that I have anything against remakes, but the originals kinda feel like a breath of fresh air, like you're completely in the dark about what to expect, where to go, the Pokemon you're going to catch, things like that! To me, it's a thrill playing a game that I have not played before because I want the game to constantly surprise me! Unfortunately with remakes, I kind of already know what to expect, which isn't a bad thing per se, but it's not really as exciting to play through anymore. It's nice for nostalgia, though!

That is why I have been saying plot reboot with the old region is better than a copy-paste with a few tweaks remake. :)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I much prefer the remakes over the originals, all three sets of remakes for me are better than their predecessors. I find it quite difficult to go back to an original game once we've had a remake for that generation. The only exception is RSE, I still feel like I could play those games or do some sort of nuzlocke challenge with them.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Spin-off, specifically Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.
    *awaiting the "Thanks for playing along" replies*

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    So far the only remakes that I appreciate are the FireRed and LeafGreen versions as well as HeartGold and SoulSilver because of their updated mechanics.

Of course, "updated" should have quotations around it in regards to FRLG, as those games' mechanics are very outdated nowadays. They don't even have a clock or a P/S Split, let alone Megas and Fairies.

Granted, HGSS don't have Megas and Fairies either, but those are pretty much the only "big" things those games are missing. They still hold up pretty well, otherwise.

If there isn't going to be a plot reboot, there has to be, at the very least, something to make the post-game a lot more exciting and engaging because I feel like most of it dies after beating the Elite Four. ...But that's another topic, anyway. u_u

Unfortunately, I don't think that will ever happen as long as GF continues to cater to the competitive crowd. Can't let any of that "plot" and "character" stuff get in the way of breeding and EV-ing up a "perfect" team. :rolleyes2:

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I would have to lean more on originals, personally, mostly due to nostalgia.

Though, remakes are still great in their own right, as they're much, much more filled with features in comparison to original titles, have hugely improved graphics, better-sounding music... what's there not to like, really? Haha.

Years
  • Personally, I mostly prefer the remakes. That's FRLG over RB, HGSS over GS, and RS equally to ORAS for me. That last one may be in part because of nostalgia, as Ruby was my first main Pokémon game.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Having started with Red/Blue I must say that I prefer playing FireRed/LeafGreen due to how faithful they are. The same thing can't be said about HeartGold/SoulSilver.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • Unlike most people here who wear nostalgia goggles, I actually prefer the remakes over the original versions because it keeps the iconic features of the game but brings it to a modern audience with updated mechanics so that it can be more relevant to the current state of the games.

Yay! Someone with honesty! I completely agree with every word in your statement. lol

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Having started with Red/Blue I must say that I prefer playing FireRed/LeafGreen due to how faithful they are. The same thing can't be said about HeartGold/SoulSilver.

I think most of the fandom would highly disagree with you, but you have a right to your opinion. ;)

To me, deviating from the originals is what made HGSS worth playing. They didn't feel like a lazy rehash of an older game. If I wanted to play the originals, I'd just play the originals. A good remake needs to offer something new.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
  • Enjoyment-wise, I enjoyed the originals more when I played them. But I think the remakes are objectively better. FRLG I enjoyed a lot, though! Unfortunately with HGSS, I loved the originals but I hated gen 4. They're better objectively though imo and the Pokemon following feature was nice. I never finished AS tbh. It wasn't bad or anything, I guess I just wasn't in a Pokemon mood and never picked it up again/I played the originals so many times that it didn't feel as fresh.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I would have to say remakes. Having updated visuals and mechanics was really nice and brought the games to life more than when they had subpar graphics. All are great games though of course :3

Years
  • I'm having a really hard time in choosing.
    The originals were more challenging, which is something i am fond of.
    The remakes brought additional features, in an attempt to surpass the originals.
    I'd say it's a 50/50 for me.

Back