• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Birds & Golems

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • There was plenty of legendary pokemon available to catch over on the 3rd generation games, RSE and FRLG, but I just want to focus on the ancient golems from RSE, and the legendary birds from FRLG.

377.png
    378.png
    379.png

144.gif
    145.gif
    146.gif

The legendary birds are always stationed at their respective spots, like the Victory Road where Moltres is, the Power Plant where Zapdos is, and the Seafoam Islands, where Articuno is.

The regis are a little bit tougher to obtain as you have to first get a Relicanth and Wailord as well as a Pokemon with Dig and Dive, then you'd have to dive towards a specific spot near route 134, where read this braille text, and then, the regis will finally surface upon different caves: the Desert Tomb in the desert where Regirock is, Route 105's Island Cave where Regice is, and the Ancient Tomb in Route 120 where Regirock is. But even if you know where the caves are, there are still puzzles to solve within each of them, like to reach Regirock, you'd have to go right twice, down twice and then use Strength, to reach Regice, you'll need to stand there and wait 2 minutes, and for Registeel, you'll need to use Fly in the middle of the room. Whew.

Still though, the discussion of this thread is, which do you prefer, the legendary birds, or the ancient golems? If you had to pick a region, Kanto or Hoenn, just to find these legendary pokemon, which region would you pick? Any other thoughts? Feel free to share!

Sirfetch’d

I like the golems a bit more honestly. Both trios are good in their own ways, but the story behind the golems, the tricky methods used to obtain them, and the overall appearance of them really makes them stand out as one of, if not the best trio. When I was playing through Hoenn for the first time I remember obtaining or at least seeing every Pokemon in the Hoenn dex except these 3. I was wondering "what goes in those last 3 spots??" I did some research and found out about these 3 guys and was really astounded by how to get them! I immediately caught all 3 and began to use them. I fell in love so fast, especially with Regice haha. Ever since then I have always been especially fond of this trio of legends.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Honestly, their designs are almost equal for me, with the birds being a little better in my opinion than the golems, but I just loved how the golems were hidden away and treated like ancient secrets. The method you needed in order to get them was also really interesting and different, while the birds have just been the postgame wandering legendaries for several games now. I would love to see the birds return to a stationary position, but for now I'll vote for the golems!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Personally, I'm a bigger fan of birds. Not only are they older (this isn't exactly a reason for my liking, but thought I should still mention), but in terms of battling, I could say that they're generally better. Am sure that golems would be able to take the birds down without much trouble, but Zapdos, Articuno, and Moltres could defeat them even faster, so to speak.

Of those three legendary birds, one that stands out to me most would have to be Zapdos. It looks kind of intimidating in terms of appearance due to its spiky body and color-scheme, and competitively, it's also very easy to utilize, as it has decent Special Attack stat, strong bulk, and is very quick. To take advantage of all of that, it has some decent moves in its arsenal as well.

As for second, that's got to be Articuno. In my opinion, it's just simply filled with beauty.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    I don't really like the Regis. I got them, but I never really used them. Articuno and Zapdos could be used pretty early in FRLG and Moltres not too much later, and they just played a bigger role.

+Zapdos is a solid battler these days.

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    I really dislike the Regis. The birds are so much better, in design and everything else. The Regis have the most stupid way of obtaining them especially since my battery is dead in all my third generation games so I can't get Regice anymore.

Years
  • Hmm, honestly, it's a tie.

Golems definitely have one amazing story behind, and the whole process of obtaining them is so much more complex and interesting. So the background story on them is awesome, but themselves alone, are kind of plain, and a bit creepy. Seeing them, and hearing their "cry" is pretty cool, but if I saw that in real life, I'd crap my pants and run away.

On the other hand, getting the Trio birds is much simpler, but it still takes some thinking and planning. Also, I love how they are all in different places; volcano on an far island, ice cave, and power plant. Plus they seem much more interesting and "alive".

So, I guess for me trio birds are a bit better :D

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • The Regis is kind of cool but i don't use them. Their body looks kinda 'urhh'. I much more prefer to the trio birds. They are easy to get and way more cooler than the Regis.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've always liked the legendary birds from the originals, I don't know why but any of the later legendaries don't really compare for me. To be fair though the Golems by far have the best encounter music. n_n

Back