• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LET'S GO SKIING Y'ALL!

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
  • LET'S GO SKIING Y'ALL!

Snover (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Blizzard
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Toxic

Decided to see if it was more effective than Abomasnow and it's proven to be pretty good so far. Hail + Leech Seed + Toxic really wares down non-Grass/Steel-types. Takes hits surprisingly well with Eviolite.

Houndoom (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Atk / 12 SAtk / 244 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Sucker Punch
    - Overheat
    - Thunder Fang
    - Taunt

Absorbs Fire-Type attacks that ravage my team. This has always been my favorite Houndoom set to use in OU and as usual it's proven to effective on this team too. Provides a powerful priority move too which every successful team usually needs. Taunt surprises people on this otherwise offensive set. Usually lead with Overheat to draw in Jellicent, taunt it, and then smash it with Sucker Punch.

Mamoswine (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Icicle Crash
    - Stone Edge
    - Ice Shard

My favorite Pokemon to use ever. Originally had Walrein but it sucks. This behemoth hits like a tank like usual and will never disappoint me.

Cloyster (M) @ White Herb
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Icicle Spear
    - Rock Blast
    - Razor Shell
    - Shell Smash

My clean up Pokemon who comes in to clean the other Pokemon's messes. Razor Shell lets me have a sure KO on Heatran who could otherwise provide problems to my team.

Espeon (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psyshock/Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Grass Knot
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

Bounces back pesky moves that could really hurt my team while hitting like a truck. Thinking of switching to Psychic since my team handles Blissey very well.

Conkeldurr (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Stone Edge/Payback
    - Bulk Up

The sexiest clown in the world who takes Rock/Dark/Bug-type attacks like a champ. Might experiment with Payback to see if its any more effective but I'm happy with Stone Edge so far.

~*~*~

Basically the purpose of this team is to hit hard while wearing them down with residual damage. This team started off as a gimmick of sorts but I'm really enjoying it so far. Only lost a few times due to my tendency to overpredict (my biggest weakness). I swore my next team would be full of standard sets but as usual I used a bunch of gimmick Pokemon. Oh well!

I struggle with Skarmory (kind of) if Houndoom is out of the picture and I can't set up Bulk Ups with Conkeldurr. Any suggestions?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Hey Luke, cool team. I just wanted to point out a few things that I saw when I was playing around with your team (since honestly at first glance I had basically no idea what to do with it). Firstly, Scizor is annoying as hell, especially if Houndoom is weakened at all. It comes in easily on Snover (and oftentimes leads against Snover once they see it in the Team Preview). I made my first mistake in the first match by Protecting and scouting for U-Turn but they SD'd, and I was like "OHHHHH" and went over to Houndoom to hopefully catch it while it SD'd again, and then it OHKO'd Houndoom with a Bullet Punch and proceeded to do the same with the rest of the team. The only other thing that could live a Bullet Punch was Cloyster and it couldn't OHKO Scizor, so... :(

Also Scarf Terrakion is annoying as it can come in, mash something, exit, repeat. Same thing with Infernape, although to a lesser extent. I think Espeon is an awful Fighting-resist, especially when you need one so bad - getting 2hko'd by any remotely powerful Fighting-type move is probably a feat of frailty. Here are some of my suggestions:

I think you can consider a more specially inclined EV spread on Snover. The only physical moves that it's going to be walling any time soon is more or less random Earthquakes, and those always come with the unfortunate coverage of a Rock-type move. Plus, by changing it to a specially-based spread, you can become an easier switch-in for things such as Politoed and other Pokemon that rely on Water+Elec+Ice coverage like Starmie, considering that Snover resists 2/3 of that. Anyway, I just prefer a specially-inclined set (not to say you have to go max SpD, but it'd be more beneficial for Snover imo to be concentrated on the special side.

Secondly, I'd consider a variant of Chandelure over Espeon. It gives you a great Fighting immunity as well as another Fire immune, which you desperately want when Houndoom is so frail. Why over Espeon and not Houndoom? In my personal opinion Chandelure fits more of the same role as Espeon than Houndoom - I mean, it's fast (given a scarf :x) and it hits like a truck. Its resistances and immunities are just much more useful for your team than Espeon is and while yeah entry hazards suck and you want to prevent them I think having a reliable immunity and method of beating Scizor is much more important. Plus it gives you just another way of beating Skarm.

If you're really concerned about Skarmory you can always run Hydro Pump and use a mixed spread on Cloyster but I had no trouble with it during playtesting. Outside of those I'm not sure what else to suggest or what else sounds like a good idea (since Scarf Terrakion still rips this team a new one imo). Good luck with your team and hopefully my changes helped a bit. :(

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I remember facing this team on PO. :D

Anyway, just had a little thing about Cloyster. I personally prefer Focus Sash over White Herb, as Cloyster's item. Cloyster has terrible Special Defense, and having White Herb won't help it that much. Now, Cloyster has pretty good Defense. I've been able to take a majority of attacks even with the Defense loss of Shell Smash. So with Focus Sash, you can still kind of take any attack they throw at you except priority moves after using the focus sash :xSo, that's just my opinion.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • first off, i do like your team =)

for conkeldurr i would keep payback because it is useful for getting rid of ghost types that wall your fighting type moves. although you have to watch out because some ghost types potentially carry psychic. two pokes i see causing some trouble are T-tar and excadrill. if snover is gone then tyranitar can potentially set up sand storm and stealth rocks, which mamoswine, houndoom, and cloyster dont like. once sand storm is set up excadrill can come in with double speed and wreak havoc on your team with rock slide, x scissor, and earthquake. granted this is all hypothetical, but if your up against a SS team then the sand abuser excadrill will probably be there.

i hope this helps a little =)

Back