• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone here a Kingdom Hearts Fan?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • tumblr_mharqxkcfU1r2uf3jo1_500.png

Alright, soooo Kingdom Hearts! Is anyone else a fan of the series, or at least played one Kingdom Hearts game? Just to give you a reminder, here's the list of the KH Games (if I missed one, just give me a holler):

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
    Kingdom Hearts 1
    Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
    Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    Kingdom Hearts Coded, Mobile phones
    Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
    Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
    Kingdom Hearts 3 (Coming Soon)

Anywho, which Kingdom Hearts Game have you played, and which one is your favorite? Which characters are your favourite? Least favourite? What do you personally think of the KH games?

Feel free to share all thoughts about the KH games here. :)

Yukari

I so far the only one I haven't played is dream drop distance. Some are better than others, but I have to say that they're all at least decent. (Re:Coded being the weakest.) My favorite is 2, and honestly none of the others come even close to it. (I also played it for over 600 hours so :P.) Birth By Sleep was great too though.

If I had to pick a favorite character, then I'd have to say Sora. But only because he's the protagonist so I'm biased. I don't think I have a least favorite though.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • You missed Kingdom Hearts χ (chi), the browser game. ;) It's pretty fun, but it's Japan-only which is kind of disappointing because... like... it's actually important to the overall plot of the series. Honestly, it's more important than Re:Coded so the fact that they haven't said a word about localization is slightly baffling... although English audiences don't really do the F2P thing in this style so there probably isn't much of a base for it, idk. Then again, if any fandom could embrace a weird style of game, it would be Kingdom Hearts fans. C'mon Disney, get on it!!

KH is my favourite game series! I owe sooo much to it and I love it to pieces. The whole reason I learnt Japanese was so I could play imported KH games and not have to wait months for them to be localized and I have no regrets. My favourite game in the series by far is Birth by Sleep. (It's my favourite game of all time!) I adore everything about it and I really hope its characters have a big role in KH3. Aqua's my favourite character but for a long time before she existed, my favourite was Marluxia so I still have quite a soft spot for him and hope he returns to be a minor villain in Lea's parts of the KH3 story hehehe. I used to absolutely hate Riku, but when I played 3D he seriously grew on me. I'm almost proud of him for growing up so much over the course of the story, you know? He's insufferable in the early games but I love him a lot in 3D and I'm excited to see how he'll be in 3.

I'm still upset that they ditched the Birth by Sleep 2.0 that was teased in the secret ending of BBSFM. :/ Delay KH3 another 5 years and give me that instead!!! #unpopularopinions

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • So I have played pretty much all the games, but I haven't beaten them all. I've played everything except for Chain of Memories on GBA and Coded. I might give CoM GBA a chance if I find it on the cheap, but I won't play Coded. I might, and that's might, watch the cutscenes for a trophy in 2.5, but even saying that is a stretch...lmao.

Anyway, my favorite in the series is Birth By Sleep. I adore all the characters and the play style is just super fun. Each character's final boss makes me want to throw my controller and I always fight them like I'm a wuss, but hey, if it works it works and I'm not changing my strategy, lol. I guess my only complaints about the game are that 1. the camera seems to be a bit too close to the character, however it didn't take me long to adjust to that and 2. I'm not a huge fan of the Disney worlds that we go to in BBS. However the music in all of them is awesome (except Castle of Dreams...that just gets stuck in my head and bugs me) so I can forgive not enjoying the worlds. But Ven is a beeb and that's all that matters in the long run tbh. :3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've played KH1 and KH2, and I've played like half of CoM before I got frustrated and gave up :( I've also played Dream Drop Distance before I gave up on that on the final boss. ;___;

But I do like the series! I only wish I was into it more, because my interest is generally waning. :<

I thought I was over the series until I played Birth By Sleep. Well, not OVER the series, but you know. My interest was really low too and I mainly purchased 2.5 because KHII was my favorite at that point. But I hadn't played BBS yet and I knew how highly acclaimed it was, so I played it and remembered why I loved the series so much to begin with. So I recommend trying that out when you can.

I also forgot to mention, I love BBS so much that I bought the PSP version of the game. I don't have a PSP.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yeah, the only reason why my interest was declining to begin with was because well...I'm sure you're aware of the card system in CoM, right? At first it was significantly awkward for me, and then I grew used to it. And then the problems start to build when you have to have specific kinds of cards in order to beat specific bosses. x_x; Like, your best bet would be to have all 9s 8s, and 0s if you are going to have any chance of surviving anyone past like...Riku.

...Coincidentally enough, that's exactly who I'm stuck on. :| Riku is a serious pain! But yeah, even though I could've skipped CoM and went straight to BBS, I just wouldn't feel right for doing so, because I always felt that each KH game followed a specific series of events and they're all linked with each other.

Though I am interested in what Re: coded is like. The only thing I've heard about it is that it's about a fake Sora that gets changed into data or something (Sora in Data form or some shit? idk), but that's really about it. Seems interesting, though.

I gave up on PS2 CoM because I could not for the life of me figure it out. :/ I honestly don't know how people have been able to finish that game because I just...don't know what I'm doing. And I wish I was good at that game because pretty much all my favorite Organization members die in Castle Oblivion so the only chance to really see them is this game. So considering I can't even freakin' play this game...yeah. It frustrates me.

And uhhhhh yeah Coded may sound interesting on the surface, but it's really...it's bad. Poke Erica about it, she can tell you why it's bad better than I can. But yeah.

Cherrim

Years
  • And uhhhhh yeah Coded may sound interesting on the surface, but it's really...it's bad. Poke Erica about it, she can tell you why it's bad better than I can. But yeah.
    An excuse to complain about Re:Coded? I AM HERE.
    Though I am interested in what Re: coded is like. The only thing I've heard about it is that it's about a fake Sora that gets changed into data or something (Sora in Data form or some shit? idk), but that's really about it. Seems interesting, though.
    Everything you need to know about Re:Coded:
    • Jiminy finds an extra page written into his KH1 journal that was messed with in COM.
    • Mickey digitizes the journal which turns out to be glitched, so he has the Data Sora inside of it "debug" the glitchy parts to find out what is wrong
    • Data Sora relives KH1 which is the THIRD TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED FOR US THE PLAYERS
    • Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc. are sucked into the journal to help. Maleficent and Pete invade it too for some reason.
    • Data Riku is there? And is the one who sucked them into the journal somehow? And then Data Sora has to fight him to reboot the journal which will destroy all of Data Sora's memories because he's just a character in the journal but he's Sora so of course he does it to help everyone
    • The reset means they discover Castle Oblivion in the journal data, added by Naminé and---
    • ALL OF THE ABOVE (20+ HOURS OF GAMEPLAY) IS 100% IRRELEVANT BECAUSE ALL THAT MATTERS IN THE END IS:
    • Naminé left a data copy of herself in the journal to explain that the real Sora needs to rescue the BBS characters, which is what Mickey conveys to Sora in the letter Sora gets in the ending of KH2.
    • Then in the secret ending you see Sora and Riku at Yen Sid's house ready to take the Mark of Mastery Exam in KH3D... a scene that is stupidly not actually included in KH3D so that game has no context at the beginning because of it... since just about no one bothered to complete Re:Coded.
    • I guess there's also a scene in the 2.5 HD version of Re:Coded that alludes to the fact that Maleficent is searching for the Book of Prophecy (something from KH chi) but we don't really know what this means yet. It's just confirmation that the browser game that's only available in Japan is getting hinted at in the rest of the series so it's now canon to the series. And still more worthwhile than Re:Coded
    • That's it. That's the entire plot.

Honestly not even the like 3 hour movie version in 2.5 is worth your time. You will never get that part of your life back. Just read a summary, even though at least two paragraphs of any summary are completely irrelevant to the overall plot of KH. Seriously.

Like, it's not even really the first time this has happened in KH. Most of the side games kind of "reset" by the end of them because they're inserted to the timeline after the fact, so of course they can't stray too far from the canon presented by KH1 and KH2. But even with those games... COM is important to the events of KH2 and even if Sora "forgets" all of it, Castle Oblivion, what happens in Castle Oblivion, and even the dead characters from Castle Oblivion are all important in future games. Riku remembers everything so COM is still very relevant to him. In Days, everyone may forget who Xion is, but you learn so much about the Organization's goals, the nature of Nobodies, and even Xion is still relevant in KH3D (and probably future games). But Re:Coded? None of the new characters exist at the end of the game. They are completely irrelevant to the Kingdom Hearts series as a whole, and literally everything important about the game can be conveyed in about 2 minutes of cutscene. It. Is. So. Pointless.

I love KH so much but I get so angry thinking about Re:Coded. And for the record, I was fine with Coded. A little cell phone game that was released in episode format where the climax of the story hinted at the new game BBS that had just come out? Cool! A 30 hour game with terrible controls (compared to BBS, whose battle system it appropriated... or even Days which was another DS game), awful graphics, and a story that gets reset to the point where a whole 2 minutes of it is relevant to the overall story? hahahahha hahaha ahahaahah....... *sighs very deeply*

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • One of my friends convinced me to buy the HD Remix 1.5 for the PS3, so I've been playing through that. Unfortunately, the PS3 is in the living room, and my roommates are often using that tv, so I can only play it on my days off when I'm home alone. I just started, currently trying to grind up in levels for the coliseum, but I like it so far. It's kind of interesting to see all of the characters come together like this, and I can't wait until the plot picks up.

Years
  • :D I love the Kingdom Hearts series! It's definitely one of my favorite video game series after Final Fantasy. I've played all the listed games there (minus 3, of course!)

I think my favorite game in the series is Kingdom Hearts 2, probably because it was my introduction to the series. My friend gave me his copy since he didn't like it anymore (for whatever reason) and I was hooked. I love the mix of Disney/Final Fantasy characters a lot; it doesn't seem like that combination would work, but it actually was really nice.

BBS was pretty amazing, though. I loved the characters soo much, especially Ven and Aqua.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Kingdom Hearts is definitely one of my favorite franchises, and after a long agonizing wait for KH3, Square Enix better not screw it up like their other IPs. I have played all entries in the series, minus RE: Chain of Memories and the original Coded, and Birth By Sleep is my favorite in the series so far.

pkmin3033

I've tried numerous times to get into this series, but there's just something about it that puts me off, or doesn't hold my attention. I got to Agrabah in the original before I gave up, and about halfway through Terra's story in Birth by Sleep. 358/2 Days I barely got past the prologue before I gave up due to not having the slightest clue what was going on, and I haven't been inclined to try the other games yet, as I imagine I'd experience the same difficulties in understanding the plot that I did with 358/2 Days. It's one of those things I should probably love, but don't...I have 1.5 and 2.5 on PS3 though, and I will go back to BBS eventually, as I quite liked Aqua and Terra...even if the latter in particular is mind-blowingly stupid even by JRPG protagonist standards. xD

I think part of the problem is that I keep trying to do the minigames. I loathed the gummi ship minigame in the original, and the less said about Ice Cream Beat in Birth by Sleep the better...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've tried numerous times to get into this series, but there's just something about it that puts me off, or doesn't hold my attention. I got to Agrabah in the original before I gave up, and about halfway through Terra's story in Birth by Sleep. 358/2 Days I barely got past the prologue before I gave up due to not having the slightest clue what was going on, and I haven't been inclined to try the other games yet, as I imagine I'd experience the same difficulties in understanding the plot that I did with 358/2 Days. It's one of those things I should probably love, but don't...I have 1.5 and 2.5 on PS3 though, and I will go back to BBS eventually, as I quite liked Aqua and Terra...even if the latter in particular is mind-blowingly stupid even by JRPG protagonist standards. xD

I think part of the problem is that I keep trying to do the minigames. I loathed the gummi ship minigame in the original, and the less said about Ice Cream Beat in Birth by Sleep the better...

I will say that this series has some terrible ways to start the game. KH1's building the boat was a drag. KH2's part as Roxas was just...insufferable. And I mean, I get what they were going for. It's so you can get to know the characters, especially in Roxas' case because, you know, and it fits the tutorials in, but I just don't think it works. The beginnings of these games just aren't fun and it really drags for me and it feels like a chore to get through. Beginning of KH3D is a drag too and unlike KH1 and 2, I don't think it had a reason for it so that's even more inexcusable. BBS pretty much says, "tutorial cutscene done go kill unversed" which might be why I found it so easy to get into haha.

I hate Gummi Ship missions as well and yeah, ice cream...I don't wanna discuss lol.

Yukari

I will say that this series has some terrible ways to start the game. KH1's building the boat was a drag. KH2's part as Roxas was just...insufferable. And I mean, I get what they were going for. It's so you can get to know the characters, especially in Roxas' case because, you know, and it fits the tutorials in, but I just don't think it works. The beginnings of these games just aren't fun and it really drags for me and it feels like a chore to get through.
    You know, I can agree with this. I found the beginning of KH2 to be the worst part. And it honestly deterred me from playing the game a second time (Though I did anyway.) Some loved that part of the game, but I'm not one of those people.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I've been a fan since the beginning. But I think if they made a KH3 I wouldn't play it. 7 years too late. I just isn't worth buying a consol for. If it was on something I own, then Totally.

They said after KH3, they could make more games going in a totally new direction... And I would be down for that.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Love the series, played DDD, 2 and 1, while watching let's plays of the others. Can't wait for 3!

Ruby Rose

Drinks Milk B]
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2015
    I haven't played very much of the game series(playing a little bit of the first one now) but I remember watching my brother play this game all the time when we were younger :] I really enjoy the game's storyline.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2015
    Kingdom Hearts has always been a game that I've heard praised a lot but never picked it up. Anyone got recommendations for starters? Such as playing in release order or chronological order? I have a PS2 and New 3DS.

Cherrim

Years
  • Kingdom Hearts has always been a game that I've heard praised a lot but never picked it up. Anyone got recommendations for starters? Such as playing in release order or chronological order? I have a PS2 and New 3DS.
    I would go in release order. KH1, Re:CoM and KH2 are available on PS2. Then after that comes 358/2 Days, Re:Coded (skip this one), and 3D... all of which could be played on your 3DS.

The only game that's been released in English that you'd be missing is Birth by Sleep (PSP) which, while my favourite, is a distant prequel so you wouldn't be losing a whole lot in the current storyline if you really get into the games.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd had neglected Kingdom Hearts for a good amount of years, due to some negative comments that few of my friends made on the series. Though, eventually, I've decided to finally give it a shot, and... I loved it! If I remember right, I believe the game was Re:Coded, which is for Nintendo DS. The title seemed to have encouraged button-mashing, which is one thing that had kept me playing.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten much chance to try my hands on any other Kingdom Hearts game past Re:Coded, so I'm currently missing out on some of the fun. Soon, however, I'll jump right back in.

Back