• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Setting up a double battle with a single pokemon

Telemetius

Tele*
Years
  • EDIT
    Found a way! Solved! It's a bit of a long process and I need to write down all the edits but as soon as I'm 100% sure that it's safe for the game I think I'll post a tutorial.

Hello forum, I'm currently trying to set up a double battle against one trainer.

Except that I'd like for him/her to always send out just one Pokémon at the time.

I've located the part that takes care of the opponent's initial send out animation, of what they say etc. :
    Code:
     #=======================================
        # Initialize opponents in double battles
        #=======================================
          if @opponent.is_a?(Array)
            if @opponent.length==1
              @opponent=@opponent[0]
            elsif @opponent.length!=2
              raise _INTL("Opponents with zero or more than two people are not allowed")
            end
          end
          if @player.is_a?(Array)
            if @player.length==1
              @player=@player[0]
            elsif @player.length!=2
              raise _INTL("Player trainers with zero or more than two people are not allowed")
            end
          end
          @scene.pbStartBattle(self)
          if @opponent.is_a?(Array)
            pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} and {2} want to battle!",@opponent[0].fullname,@opponent[1].fullname))
            sendout1=pbFindNextUnfainted(@party2,0,pbSecondPartyBegin(1))
            raise _INTL("Opponent 1 has no unfainted Pokémon") if sendout1 < 0
            sendout2=pbFindNextUnfainted(@party2,pbSecondPartyBegin(1))
            raise _INTL("Opponent 2 has no unfainted Pokémon") if sendout2 < 0
            @battlers[1].pbInitialize(@party2[sendout1],sendout1,false)
            @battlers[3].pbInitialize(@party2[sendout2],sendout2,false) 
            pbDisplayBrief(_INTL("{1} sent {2}! {3} sent {4}!",@opponent[0].fullname,getBattlerPokemon(@battlers[1]).name,@opponent[1].fullname,getBattlerPokemon(@battlers[3]).name))
            pbSendOutInitial(@doublebattle,1,@party2[sendout1],3,@party2[sendout2])
          else
            pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1}\r\nwants to battle!",@opponent.fullname))
            sendout1=pbFindNextUnfainted(@party2,0)
            sendout2=pbFindNextUnfainted(@party2,sendout1+1)
            if sendout1 < 0 || sendout2 < 0
              raise _INTL("Opponent doesn't have two unfainted Pokémon")
            end
            pbDisplayBrief(_INTL("{1} sent {2} and {3}!",
               @opponent.fullname,getBattlerPokemon(@battlers[1]).name,getBattlerPokemon(@battlers[3]).name))
            pbSendOutInitial(@doublebattle,1,@party2[sendout1],3,@party2[sendout2])
          end
        else

Now I think the interesting part is this one in red:

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"]pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1}\r\nwants to battle!",@opponent.fullname))
            sendout1=pbFindNextUnfainted(@party2,0)
            [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]sendout2=pbFindNextUnfainted(@party2,sendout1+1)[/COLOR] 
    [COLOR="PaleGreen"]#this will check what's the species of the second pokemon (removing it will crash the game)[/COLOR]
            if sendout1 < 0 || sendout2 < 0
              raise _INTL("Opponent doesn't have two unfainted Pokémon")
            end
            pbDisplayBrief(_INTL("{1} sent {2} and {3}!",
               @opponent.fullname,getBattlerPokemon(@battlers[1]).name,getBattlerPokemon(@battlers[3]).name)) [COLOR="PaleGreen"]#this is just what the system will say, it's easy to edit[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]pbSendOutInitial(@doublebattle,1,@party2[sendout1],3,@party2[sendout2])[/COLOR][/COLOR]
     [COLOR="PaleGreen"]#here's the actual animation, removing the ",3,@party2[sendout2]" part will make the game crash[/COLOR]

Since it's more complicated that I thought I'd appreciate anyone who could help me with this problem or just point me in the right direction (or just straight up tell me that it'd take a lot of time to do it and that it's better to find another way). Thank you :)

Last edited:
    Back