• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buying new laptop, want a gaming. Need help like difference between i7 2nd and 4th

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
  • Hello my laptop just broke. I want an actual gaming laptop now. Like... The kind where I can play world of Warcraft with ultra graphics on. Also just dumbed down things like what's the difference between 2nd gen and 4th gen i7. Any help would be great

Years
  • Intel makes quite a few processors with the i7 branding. If you want to have a look yourself, you can see Intel's i7 processors to compare models here:

2nd gen: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59136/2nd-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@All
    4th gen: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/75023/4th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@All

For gaming, as I always say: go with what you need; don't get a product that cannot handle what you intend to use it for, and do not get a product that can do more than what you really need it for. For gaming, especially for games like WoW (and ultra graphics), don't go lower than 8 GB of RAM at all.

Also, be sure that you look for a graphics card (which is often internal in laptops) with sufficient video memory as well to handle the capabilities of your games.

Years
  • Everything that Zach said. And don't get sucked into a terrible GFX mobile edition either, they're usually underclocked as hell.

Try your best to avoid HP/Compaq and anything Lenovo G series based. Former has terrible heating issues and the latter has bad build qualities and you don't want to wind up buying another laptop 5 months after buying.

The Lenovo Y series is a good choice last time I heard. if you don't mind spending money, I guess you could go Alienware(!?). Their laptops are the only thing worth having anyway from that brand. I think Asus has some good ones too.

Back