• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen IV Breeding

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2015
Hello, I one of those people that played pokemon to death as a kid, forgot about it, then saw a DS while I was shopping and decided to jump back in. I was watching videos online of battling and after defeating the elite 4 decided I could have a go of that. Every single pokemon I had was 1 shot and did no dmg to anyone else pokemon. You can imagine how it lead me to IV breeding.

My problem is though, I have read through massive articles, have quadruple checked every stat on the pokemon I'm breeding and the items they hold but I cannot get a 5IV, I'm not even going to attempt 6. I have done this for hours upon hours and i can't get the right 5 IV's.

I cannot even fathom doing this for 5 other pokemon... how do I cope with this? I want to play competitively but this is completely ridiculous... please some tips or help with what I need to do?

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Well first make sure you have the basics

Everstone - for the right nature
Destiny Knot - For making sure 5 IVs come from the parents

For simplicity sake ask in the trade forums if anyone can clone/trade/give you a 6IV ditto as this will make life a lot simpler for you in the long run.

Find out what your pokemon has IV wise at the stat judge then start breeding until you get one with better IV's or if you dont have a 6IV ditto then breed 2 (of different sexes) with better IVs and swap out your breeding stock for these.

Rinse and repeat until you have 2 4/5IV pokemon (of different sexes unless you have ditto) of the right nature and other factors then breed them to get your correct stat 5IV pokemon or if your lucky a 6IVer.

It does take time but is worthwhile, getting a 6IV ditto really does help speed things up though so id strongly recommend that. Alternatively if you have pokemon to trade then perhaps inquire in the various trade shops for the pokemon you want.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Here's an IV guide that I bookmarked when I was new to competitive breeding. :3
Spoiler:

Back