• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animated Load Screen!

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Is it possible to have an animated gif as your load screen background? (The screen that says New Game, Continue, Options, ect. when you boot the game up). I made a gif and loaded it into the game, and while it does recognize the file and display it, it doesn't animate it like it should; it only displays the first frame. Can someone help me with this? It's a small thing, but I'd really like it to work out.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    I have a tutorial for the splash screen up in Tutorials and Scripts. I believe it would use the same concept. If you have frame images instead of a .gif PM me and I can help you

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Oh, yea, I do have all the frames saved seperately, so if there's a way to do it without compiling a gif I can :3 I'll PM you. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Unfortunately, Rayd12smitty as unable to aid me in my problem after all; it was something different than what he had initially thought. Incase it needs clarifying, let me do so now:

What I need is to find a way to get my animated gif to work as a background for the load screen. By "load screen", I mean the screen that says "New Game, Continue, Options..." and the like, where the player chooses to load their old game or begin a new one.

This is the gif image by itself. It animated fine on it's own as an independent image.
    so1ndi.jpg

However, when I set it as the background for the loadscreen, I get this:
    okslj5.png

It appears exactly as that static image with no animation at all; even though it was imported as a gif.

Does anyone know a simple script modification to fix this, or is there just something I'm doing wrong?

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    no, but I can try XD seems really simple so I'ma punch myself if it works

EDIT: Okay that didn't work either :(

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • First let me say, that is a really nice background! Did you make that?

Secondly, I can't believe this sort of thing keeps popping up. Go into PokemonLoad and under line 47 (where you'd see all the various updates) add @sprites["background"].update . That's it. It's that simple. You can't update your background, if there is no update function for it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Yes I did :3 thank you for the fine compliment sir!
    Secondly, I'ma go try this right now!

EDIT:
    Didn't work :( I'll show you what the code looks like just to make sure I'm doing it right... starting at line 47 of PokemonLoad
    loop do
    @sprites["background"].update
    Graphics.update
    Input.update
    pbUpdate

It still only displays the first frame of the gif :(

Last edited:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Yes I did :3 thank you for the fine compliment sir!
    Secondly, I'ma go try this right now!

EDIT:
    Didn't work :( I'll show you what the code looks like just to make sure I'm doing it right... starting at line 47 of PokemonLoad
    loop do
    @sprites["background"].update
    Graphics.update
    Input.update
    pbUpdate

It still only displays the first frame of the gif :(

Haha. Oh dear. You didn't need to do anything at all. No code changes. You compiled your GIF wrongly. The game couldn't animate it because of that. I tested the Load Screen with 2 other GIFs and they worked, and now I recompiled your GIF and it works too.

loadbg.gif

Here you go, this one should work with the game (it worked for me at least).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Lol the image won't show... But it figures it was something I did wrong XD I'm so scatter brained.

Back