• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Team Layout

Years
  • I am currently on my way to the final gym in Jhoto, and I was wondering if it's too late to train a krabby and evolve it to a kingler, or simply use the shiny gyarados basically given to you. Would it be worth the effort to train a krabby and evolve it to a kingler, semi-late game? Kinger would be more unique, but is it worth training up?

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Unless you picked Totodile as your starter, I'd say you can use Kingler on your team.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Gyarados is the more practical choice; it's more versatile than Kingler. It can learn a wider variety of move types (Thunder, Fire Blast, Blizzard), which would serve you better if you're facing off against the Elite Four. It also has the better all-round stats, though it does have that crippling 4x weakness to Electric-type moves.

That said, it's all down to personal preference, and using the Pokemon you like. Kingler's a pretty solid Water type, though you'd need to give him a powerful Water-type move to make up for his lack of Special Attack, as he doesn't get STAB on any physical moves back in Gen II.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • That said, it's all down to personal preference, and using the Pokemon you like. Kingler's a pretty solid Water type, though you'd need to give him a powerful Water-type move to make up for his lack of Special Attack, as he doesn't get STAB on any physical moves back in Gen II.

This. It's a shame that the Special/Physical type division existed for such a long time in the way that it did in Gen I - III, because it let Pokémon like Kingler down a lot. Its Attack stat is left do to work other than Water attacks.

I would suggest Gyarados anyway. It has always been a powerhouse.

Years
  • The Gyarados would generally be usable, alternatively you could use a non-shiny Gyarados from the lake if you want a less common option. Kingler could be useful if you want to train them up, although you could always try that after the E4, if you've trained up enough to be able to level up against them, at which point it should level up quite quickly. It really depends on if you have anything in particular you'd like to do with the Kingler - if you're using it in essentially the same way it's probably not worth it - or not; if you do, then you might as well use that, if that is thus your intention.

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
  • If you want something unique, why not go for Poliwrath? Can learn ice-punch for the 8th gym and also useful in the E4! Although it always comes down to what you like personally :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Crab hammer is Kinglers only momentum, asides for the other combinations.

All Golden Pokemon are weaker then there original forms.

I trained all of these pokemon only for the battery to die on me. Screw you Nintendo

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    I had fun with Kingler. Its not great for using a water move, but its like a water version of golem if you need a meatshield. Gyarados is a much better choice movewise and it has stronger over all stats, but it has no def stat compared to kingler. Both are damage monkeys though.

I say use the Kingler if you havent tried it.

Back