• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google has a Pokémon feature!?

Years
  • I just figured that out. I don't know how long I have been missing out on it and can't seem to find the info.

It's not that a big deal though, but still really nice that Google acknowledges the community. Here's how it goes:

- Type in (almost) any pokémon name in the Google search bar
    - Get provided with pokemon species, type, abilities, weaknesses, direct evolutions, hidden ability and height.

For pokemon with generic names that may refer to something else (Electrode for instance), Google will hint that you may be looking for the pokémon info and offer a link to display it.

Also, some more prominent pokémon will have some extra info displayed. Such pokémon are Bulbasaur, Blastoise or Mew for instance. Extra info could be a short introduction or pokémon weight.

Enjoy your pokémon quick search!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    What a wonderful nod to this popular franchise haha! Maybe it only does it from some countries though? Not sure I've noticed that feature before.

Years
  • I never personally tried out this feature, but it's really cool to see Google showing Pokemon info as you search for the Pokemon itself. Although adding extra stuff to only more popular Pokemon is what I call pretty biased in my opinion.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I had a to do a double take when I saw it a couple months back, but I still use serribi and pdb. I am still waiting for things like google docs to recognize pokemon names without the red line under them, but that is probably a lost cause.

Years
  • I had a to do a double take when I saw it a couple months back, but I still use serribi and pdb. I am still waiting for things like google docs to recognize pokemon names without the red line under them, but that is probably a lost cause.

I don't think it even competes with these. But it's enough when you just need a quick reminder. They must cover a large parge of searches for pokémon just with this information.

Years
  • Google and Pokemon have always seemed to have a good relationship, so it doesn't really surprise me that they give you quick information like that when you type in a Pokemon's name.

I also loved when they added Pokemon to their Google Maps for April Fools Day last year. I wasn't able to get it to work on my phone, but it was pretty cool to see Google give a big nod to Pokemon, especially with one of their more popular features.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Yeah I noticed this a few months ago! It's good for when you just need quick info, it would be nice for some more info. Like maybe a moveset or something else, but that's what Bulbapedia is for. It looks best on Chrome, IE, and Mobile though.
    Spoiler:

Although adding extra stuff to only more popular Pokemon is what I call pretty biased in my opinion.

What do you mean? It seems to give about the same amount of info for each Pokemon?

Years
  • I noticed this a while back as well, really surprised but I mostly use Bulbapedia which is always the first link anyway so it's only useful for basic information. Still a cool feature though.
    Oh, that's just me having a teeny rant. Nothing to bother me about. Maybe it might change based on what someone is operating it with I guess.
    It's not biased. I think it's down to the algorithm. It takes information of wikipedia (as well as bulbapedia) in the same way it does for science and philosophy related concepts for example. Not every pokemon has a page on wikipedia however, hence why it's inconsistent. Lairon doesnt even have an entry :(

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    I never noticed it was an actual feature, always thought it just pulled information from Bulbapedia or something. Very cool.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2015
    Like a bunch of other people on here, I noticed it but didn't know it was an actual special feature. Yahoy!!! Recognition!!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I have no idea it was a special feature specifically designed for us Pokémon fans, even though I have recognized that Google would show me the info of the Pokémon I've been searching for most of the time. I like the fact that it even shows the abilities and weaknesses so that I can figure which move will cover it.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    I think that's a cool little addition but I don't see me ever being able to use it. Anytime I need Pokémon information I type the name of the Pokémon the add "db" at the end.

Back