• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle of the browsers!

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
  • So which internet browser do you use?
    At present, I've gone back to using Chrome with my much loved theme of 'raindrops,' now that I have a computer that doesn't choke from the strain of running its resource hungry self.

Why do you think it's better than others?
    It definitely has speed on its side, it'll give it that much. Page load times are that few seconds faster in Chrome than my next browser of choice, Firefox - even if Firefox has caching enabled. Plus, it seems more stable, in my experience, and less likely to clam up than Firefox.

Have you always used it, or not?
    Sorta. I was around for its inception, vividly being able to recall a huge broadsheet advert in the paper broadcasting to the rafter about how new and exciting it was. What I tended to do was use Chrome for a year or two, then swap over to Firefox once something managed to tick me off. And then come crawling back to Chrome once Firefox got on my nerves. Haha. I really do have dual-loyalties when it comes to web browsers. And apart from Opera and those mentioned, I dislike all others.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years

Firefox.

It's the only one I've used that hasn't had a meltdown whenever I try to have more than four tabs open. That's it.

Nope.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Internet Explorer user here. I have preferred how Internet Explorer is basically the web page and nothing much else in its current iteration. The way it handles scrolling under most circumstances, the rendering quality of text which is exceptional even without sub-pixel antialiasing, how it scales gracefully to high-PPI displays, how it handles on a touch-screen device...

And, most importantly, how it behaves under limited computing resources, whether CPU-bound, or memory-bound. It runs surprisingly adequately on an obsolete smartphone system-on-a-chip (the NVIDIA Tegra 3), and it also runs great when my laptop with its Haswell i7 quad-core has to down-clock to 800 MHz in power saving mode. Things stay smooth enough under such circumstances, so yeah.

I probably wouldn't even think about switching browsers if I have no incentive to do so. I am actually looking forward to Edge, which by all accounts should make Internet Explorer look like a creaky old browser.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Internet Explorer user here. I have preferred how Internet Explorer is basically the web page and nothing much else in its current iteration. The way it handles scrolling under most circumstances, the rendering quality of text which is exceptional even without sub-pixel antialiasing, how it scales gracefully to high-PPI displays, how it handles on a touch-screen device...

And, most importantly, how it behaves under limited computing resources, whether CPU-bound, or memory-bound. It runs surprisingly adequately on an obsolete smartphone system-on-a-chip (the NVIDIA Tegra 3), and it also runs great when my laptop with its Haswell i7 quad-core has to down-clock to 800 MHz in power saving mode. Things stay smooth enough under such circumstances, so yeah.

I probably wouldn't even think about switching browsers if I have no incentive to do so. I am actually looking forward to Edge, which by all accounts should make Internet Explorer look like a creaky old browser.

Wow.

I was expecting someone to show up saying this, but I kinda expected a 'n00b' somehow, which is far from being the case. Have you tried any other browser apart from IE? Not trying to change your mind, just asking, because Google Chrome is 'basically the webpage', since it was designed to avoid overloading your screen of unnecessary stuff.

You got me on the rendering quality, but my experience in IE, which I need to use at work, has taken me to some horrible displays in several websites... especially with fonts.

I do have interest in Edge, by the way.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I'm a Chrome girl, I used to be exclusively Firefox which I loved when I started using the Internet more regularly, then I used both for a while, and now I prefer Chrome a lot more. The last time I tried Firefox was a couple years ago and it just didn't appeal to me as much as it used to, so...

The only time I've used Safari was on my iPhone and even then it was just ugh so I use the Chrome app, and I've never used Opera. Internet Explorer is like... something I used for maybe two years from ages 11-13, lol.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
    Firefox is the main one I use. I also have Chrome on my tablet, IE on my phone, and Safari on my iPod Touch though.

Ehhh, I think they all have their ups and downs. I don't really use Chrome, IE, or Safari much, so I'll just stick with Firefox for the purposes of this response. I guess I just like Firefox's customizability? I dunno. xD

Almost always, haha. We used to have AOL, so I'd use that built in browser. Then I discovered there were other browsers, like Firefox, so I went with that instead. (I knew of IE too, but back in the day, that was supposedly virus ridden or whatever.)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Wow.

I was expecting someone to show up saying this, but I kinda expected a 'n00b' somehow, which is far from being the case. Have you tried any other browser apart from IE? Not trying to change your mind, just asking, because Google Chrome is 'basically the webpage', since it was designed to avoid overloading your screen of unnecessary stuff.

Internet Explorer still has an advantage in terms of "chrome" when you allow Internet Explorer to have the tabs and address bar to be on the same row. I don't find a full-length address bar to be necessary under most circumstances - most domain names should be able to show up in full, even with an address bar that is just about 30% of the window width. That, usually, is the most important part in verifying where you are. (Curiously, intentionally not allowing the title bar portion to be occupied by the tabs and/or address bar also means that the window is still normal at maximized.)

You got me on the rendering quality, but my experience in IE, which I need to use at work, has taken me to some horrible displays in several websites... especially with fonts.

They changed the way text is rendered, fundamentally, along with a complete reworking of the graphical engine in Internet Explorer 9. In Internet Explorer 11, pretty much nothing makes use of the old-style text metrics, too, so everything is rendered using the new method, with the metrics of the new style.

Perhaps you were using a version prior to that.

I do have interest in Edge, by the way.

If only Windows 10 doesn't go bonkers on my computers!

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • I've been using Chromium comfortably for several years (not Chrome only because it's not available on my package manager). Lately, I've really taken a liking to Vivaldi. There are still a few kinks here and there, but I love their forward-thinking design philosophy. There's a chance that I'll switch to it permanently sometime in the future.

Buttery smooth, doesn't drop frames, and while pleasant to see, it is still lightning-fast at scrolling, so unlike the smoothing of Firefox, is doesn't feel like scrolling is making you go slower.

If you like smooth scrolling, this is pretty good.

It's a small but amazing script that gives you smooth scrolling from both mouse and keyboard interactions.

And here's the source, if you want to plug it in to your website to share the smooth experience with everyone else.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • this[/URL] is pretty good.

It's a small but amazing script that gives you smooth scrolling from both mouse and keyboard interactions.

That's brilliant! It works perfectly with a mouse on my desktop, making Chromium scrolling feel just like the nice and smooth IE scrolling! It doesn't really work with the touchpad on my Surface Pro 3 though, so I guess I'll just stay on IE there. Matching the experience of Metro IE on the SP3 touchpad would be nearly impossible though, because that is the most smooth and comfortable scrolling experience I have ever experienced. Flicking through pages, smoothly zooming, two-finger-swiping to the right to go back all with this bouncy but not too bouncy smoothness feels great!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I've been a longtime Chrome user for a NUMBER of years. I can't get on firefox or IE anymore. It's not the same as Chrome. Chrome is so smooth.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Nearly a decade ago, I used to be a major user of Safari. I had an iMac then, and since this browser was its default, combined with the simplistic interface Safari had as well as ease of use, I found it to be sort of difficult to turn away.

Few years later, I moved myself to a Windows computer, but was not fond of Internet Explorer at all, causing me to download Safari and keep at it. Safari eventually got an update, causing its Mac-like UI to disappear, and since I couldn't accept the change, I decided to try something new all-together and see how things are. This led me to Firefox.

Right now, I'm on Google Chrome. Although Firefox was great in many aspects, I believe Chrome has more of an advantage in terms of speed, which I do like! Not only that, but I feel it's much more easy to sync all your data and whatnot with Chrome from one computer to another in comparison to other browsers, which is another reason behind my fondness.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
    I currently use Firefox

• Why do you think it's better than others?
    Because it is much faster than safari and unlike chrome it doesnt stop a download just because it's taking too long.

• Have you always used it, or not?
    Nope. I used to use Chrome until I was downloading a large file and then it just stopped the download just because it was taking too long. Sure Chrome is faster but just a bit faster. I don't think mozilla stops downloads for stupid reasons?

Years
  • I have been using Chrome for around 4 years now, and it's always been a reliable performer that I'd never use any other browser over it. It's also considerably easy to use and doesn't take too long to install.

Years
  • Might as well bite.

I'm back to regular old FF. I WAS a Chrome user extensively, and while I do like Chrome (Chromium is great once you can get it going for that matter), FF is where it's at for me. Had waterfox but oh my god the resource hogging....

• Why do you think it's better than others?
    I feel like this is a matter of personal experience. FF doesn't suck up as many resources on my PC, which is always good, but this can really depend on a case by case basis. That said, as far as the for SURES...
    >Open Source
    >Amazing CSS support, perfect for ricers like me
    >plug-ins for days
    >very customizable
    >different forks of it in case that matters to you

Firefox pretty much does everything I need it to do, and it just functions a lot better on my end.

• Have you always used it, or not?
    Yes and no. My first browser outside of I.E (Which got buffed from what I heard, might need to see that patch list) was Firefox, but I switched to chrome since I had noticed everything was Google and having Chrome made my life a little more lazy friendly.

Then Firefox got buffed again and it was pretty much GG.

Years
  • Chrome chrome chrome chrome chrome chrome.. you get the point.

I used to use FireFox up until a few years ago when it started slowing down and crashing for reasons I never did figure out, lol. Swapped to Chrome and noticed considerable differences in speed plus the window space was a little bigger and the overall layout of Chrome more appealing. Since then I've never looked back and can't see myself using any other browser.

Safari is all right and I've tried FireFox a few times since but at this point I've fully adapted to Chrome so I probably won't make any permanent changes for a while. Syncing is also huge for someone like me who relies on bookmarks and enjoys the fact that any changes I make are applied across all synced devices.. truthfully I'm not even sure if other browsers have similar features but I don't want to constantly have to export and import my browser data with how often I tend to make changes.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Firefox Developer Edition

It isn't a better browser really, but it fits my needs better than any other.

I've probably used every major browser for an extended period of time, but I've used this one a good bit since I found it. :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2019
    1. Google Chrome

2. I have had a lot of good experience with Google Chrome in downloading plugins and easily removing plugins that come from viruses. Also, its very fast and made by very reliable creators. I mean, c'mon. It's Google.

3. I used to use Internet Explorer when I was little, I'm sure everyone had that point. Once I grew into middle school days, I converted to Firefox. I started having a lot of issues with Firefox and I switched to Chrome. I've pretty much stayed at that for 5 years.

Back