• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Care for a Sky Battle with a Sky Trainer?

Years
  • Inspired by the threads looking at the diving experience, riding Pokemon and the possibility of exploring space, I started thinking about the Soaring experience and Sky Battles.

These were both introduced in Gen 6 and I think that's it great that they're finessing the way they utilise the unique abilities of particular types.

I loved being able to soar over Hoenn in ORAS and that it was the only way to get to particular places. Seeing and hearing flocks of flying Pokemon around you was cool, though they were only silhouettes was a little disappointing.

I didn't find the sky battles that remarkable but it is cool to distinguish a flying type trainer in the same way you would a water type trainer who is fishing.

What are your thoughts on what exists already and what would you like to see added or removed in future games?

Years
  • I did somehow enjoy the sky battles in X/Y, they were something fun and interesting in that it restricted your Pokemon choices and made you have to think harder. As for the soaring on Latios and Latias in OR/AS, that was so much cooler because I loved seeing the amazingly rendered Hoenn region from a higher view plus using it to travel to new areas was a very nice incentive to make you want to use the Eon Flute.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • NO I WOULD NOT CARE FOR A SKY BATTLE WITH A SKY TRAINER BECAUSE THEY ARE PRETENTIOUS.

soaring is cool.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    NO I WOULD NOT CARE FOR A SKY BATTLE WITH A SKY TRAINER BECAUSE THEY ARE PRETENTIOUS.

soaring is cool.

the words were stolen from me.

I hate the sky trainers and their opening line made me want to kill myself after awhile!!!

any other features that have to do with flying around though feel free to implement tehe xo

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Never played OR/AS but flying like that...wow. Ill get it soon and I can't wait!

I didnt care about Sky battles but they weren't all that bad imo. They were limited but pretty cool. It would be better if they had a little more of animations, but thats just me.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Ugh, sky battles. Too gimmicky. And the Pokémon available for use/not available are sometimes nonsensical. Like Pidgey, Spearow, Murkrow, etc. Why can we not use them, but we can use Gastly and Tynamo? Who the hell was calling the shots on that one?

Years
  • I wasn't one that really cared about Sky Battles, mostly for the fact that there were so few Pokémon that one could use in them, and overall it didn't appeal to me much, so there weren't many Sky Battles in-game that I really took part in. If they do add them back in a later installation, i'm sure they might be able to find some way to make it more interesting to me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I never took well to sky battles, since half my flying things are generally bugs.
    The exploration allowed by soaring was cool, but it does make Hōen feel small. Flying out to sea and exploring procedurally-generated islands would be a nice direction to take it, I think; it could offer some sort of persistent singleplayer endgame.

Years
  • I find Sky Battles to be boring. I'm not really sure why, but I do.

Soaring however is amazing. I love how you can land almost anywhere, not just in the cities. It is incredibly convenient and visually stunning. I am curious to see if they implement this in future games or if its only allowed with Mega Latios / Latias.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Despite Flying-type's part of my favorite types, sadly I dislike this format of battle a lot. I found it pointless and it's more like a novelty gimmick more than a real serious kinda battle format.

Years
  • I'm a bird guy, in real life - have 4 cockatiels - and in Pokémon games I gravitate towards flying types, especially those that resemble real birds (and not just some pile of splooge that's classed as flying because it hovers 6 feet off the ground!). When I first came across the sky battles, I was all for it, loved the concept. After doing a couple... well, I found them really dull. Because there's only so many flying/something else combinations, you don't get the tactical element of type matching in them, as most of the flying combos don't have a type that's effective against flying. If you know what I mean? So it ends up being literally "whose pokémon can get the first strike?".

The concept, I love - the execution, not so much. It's like the opposite of the surf battles. Surf battles are too open to any type of pokémon, the only difference is you're practically guaranteed to face a water type. Sky battles are too restricted.

I'd probably like them more if they had more animation. Like if you could see the pokémon swooping around each other and flying about as you enter commands... Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast was able to get good between-turn animations for ship battles 15 blooming years ago...

Back