• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forms/Formes

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Yes, Forms are different from Formes. Forms are for normal Pokémon, while Formes are for the Legendaries.

Starting with the humblie Unown in GSC and getting exponentially more complicated with each generation, Pokémon with form changes have become a pretty big part of the Pokémon gaming and battle system. While the initial form changes used to mean mere cosmetic alterations, these days forms can have a serious impact on Pokémon's development, including changing it's stats, type, and learned moves.

What is your opinion of various form changes? Do they bring something nice to the games? Do they create unnecessary complications? Are they completely ridiculous? (Hello, Cosplay Pikachu) Do you want more forms?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I think it's pretty interesting! Though I'll admit I've never paid much attention to the different forms/formes that Pokémon have in the games. I think the first time I actually have is when Pikachu got all those cosplay forms because it can get some pretty neat moves like Meteor Mash with it. Pretty cool. 8)

I guess you've never been by competitive battle much, then. Wash-Rotom is a complete menace there. I think it's a perfect example of how much a simple form change can make a Pokémon go from "annoying" to "how is this so strong!?" {XD}

Also, how did you even get the Pikachu? Do you just have to walk into the contest hall or something? I never tried to find it.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Oh trust me, I've been competitive battling for years but I've just never used many on my teams. I've never found the need to, haha. Actually though I completely forgot about Rotom-W because that is on almost all of my teams...oops. Sorry Rotom!

I'm pretty sure a guy or lady in the contest hall just straight up gives it to you. I can't remember honestly. :x

Haha, Wash-Rotom is the one that I always forget about. Until I battle someone with it. Then I'm like, "damn it! I forgot a counter for it again!"
    The forme that I'm always using is Landorus-T. I think everyone loves that form change.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    It's kinda interesting how you obtain some of these too. I believe you could get the Therian trio via the Dream Radar?

Yeah, you need to find them via Dream Radar. Once you get Lando-T, I think you can get a special item to change their form too though.

Now Kyruem has some really cool form changes. You know, because you're combining two legendaries together?

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Indeed. One of the cooler cutscenes they've had, imo. But what I've always wondered was what the fusion of all there would look like.

Years
  • I feel like the various form and forme changes bring new and exciting stuff into the games, and while some are quite overpowered the awesome thing is that many use a different playstyle from each other plus there have been some unique types spawned by the different forms as well. As for if I want to see more of them? Yes, because it's always nice to see a Pokemon with various differences in appearance and type plus it encourages various playstyles out of the Pokemon as well.

Years
  • Even the cosmetic ones I like if they make sense to me...which means all the pikachus there, I don't care much for them haha.
    But then stuff like the Sawsbuck forms, oh man. Stuff like that definitely brings a little more dynamic into the games, I think. Instead of pokemon that never ever change depending on circumstances, suddenly here's one that's affected by its environment, even if it's just based on seasons.

Same deal with the other cosmetics. It's just a nice little dynamic touch to the pokemon game world.

And then for any of the changes that also change how the pokemon battles...yeah, still same thing, just on a bigger scale.

Plus I find the concept to just plain be awesome. I know, for example, my interest in the forces of nature trio (which was admittedly low to begin up) went up exponentially once I found out about the therian formes. Similar deal with Shaymin and Sky Shaymin, although not quite the same because I actually liked Shaymin beforehand.

Indeed. One of the cooler cutscenes they've had, imo. But what I've always wondered was what the fusion of all there would look like.
    I've wondered this as well.

And then I figured out that yes, I would actually love to see that. Mostly for lore reasons I guess.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Even the cosmetic ones I like if they make sense to me...which means all the pikachus there, I don't care much for them haha.
    But then stuff like the Sawsbuck forms, oh man. Stuff like that definitely brings a little more dynamic into the games, I think. Instead of pokemon that never ever change depending on circumstances, suddenly here's one that's affected by its environment, even if it's just based on seasons.

Same deal with the other cosmetics. It's just a nice little dynamic touch to the pokemon game world.

And then for any of the changes that also change how the pokemon battles...yeah, still same thing, just on a bigger scale.

Plus I find the concept to just plain be awesome. I know, for example, my interest in the forces of nature trio (which was admittedly low to begin up) went up exponentially once I found out about the therian formes. Similar deal with Shaymin and Sky Shaymin, although not quite the same because I actually liked Shaymin beforehand.

I've wondered this as well.

And then I figured out that yes, I would actually love to see that. Mostly for lore reasons I guess.

You're right, forms do add a nice dynamic touch to the world. Makes it feel more alive in cases.

As for the fusion, not only would it be good for the lore, but just imagine how powerful it could be!

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I agree with Sylphiel I like the forms that are dependent on the environment, so my favorite is Castform, although it may not be the most useful form change to use. You have to take a turn at the start of each battle to activate the form change and it only lasts for five turns.

Rotom is pretty cool too, as it can take control over simple household apparatuses and it can even get new moves upon transforming too.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • My favorite is Rotom's Forms. I love Rotom Wash he's so useful in OU <3 Landorus therian is another one of my favs

Anyway I don't care about Forms/Formes that much to be honest. Sure some forms are better than the original pokemon but i dont consider deoxys defense and deoxys as different pokemons. I still like to use them, tho.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Forms are cute, and while I love them, idk if I could actually think of adding any. Just because I just don't see it as something every Pokemon needs. I would like to see more interactive, environmental form changes. Not so much like Castform, but more so like Burmy, Rotom, and Keldeo. More or so things you have to go out and do, rather than something that just happens.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I think they're unnecessary and a bit annoying. The best example I can think of is Darmanitan. I hate its standard form, it's hideous. It's zen form though was really interesting and I was hoping it would be something I could just change to easily.

Legendaries having formes makes more sense to me and I almost give them a pass when it comes to it because i don't really care about them at all. Overall though I'd like to see less forms for regular pokemon. I like the idea of once a pokemon changes its look it stays that way... yet i dont mind mega evolution

Years
  • I love Form(e)s, they make some Pokemon stand out and they're cool to collect. I'm into them more for the cosmetics than stats and stuff. The different ways they're activated are cool too. I think my favourite cosmetic changes are Furfrou and Vivilon.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I like them. It's a neat little twist that makes some Pokemon more interesting than they normally would be. That said, I hate when you have to do something special during battle to get them into a certain forme, like with Cherrim requiring sunlight. I adore Cherrim's bloomed forme, but I really don't care for its normal forme and having to use a Grass-type in sunlight really isn't how I like to play the games, especially when Cherrim is... pretty terrible competitively.

My favorite kind of Formes are things that you only need to choose which forme you want, such as Deoxys. Kyurem's White forme is also one of my all time favorite Pokemon, and the genies each having a unique forme that looks ABSOLUTELY nothing like the others helped save them as Pokemon in my opinion. They were basically three Legendary slots taken up by 90% identical designs, which felt kind of like a waste and lazy... but with the Therian formes? They each have their own identity and stand out more. Therian Thundurus, in particular, is one of my absolute favorites.

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
  • I like Forms/Formes when they make sense and have reasoning behind them rather than just to make a Pokemon more powerful or to make them "cooler." i mean, if the form or forme was added to make them cool but then explained, that's fine too. I prefer the ones that can happen naturally for a good reason, like Cherrim blooming in the bright sun, or Deerling's seasonal changes. I also like how Giratina is different in the regular world and the Distortion World (I almost said Reverse World. Curse you, Pokemon anime), and how Deoxys can change based on what's going on in a battle (being a space virus explains that good enough for me).

But things like Mega Evolution... I admit it's interesting, but why is it a thing? They don't really explain mega evolution (or primal reversion) very good in the games. Why does it happen? How come you need a certain rock to be held by a Pokemon, and then your own special rock to activate it? How do you activate it? Where did it come from? Who discovered it? Why do they transform in the ways they do? I don't think it's something younger kids would ever think about, but lore is really important to me, especially in Pokemon.​

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like the Rotom forms, because of them having different types and appearances. I'd say Rotom-H is my favourite out of the bunch.

On the other hand, there's Keldeo's resolute forme, which...makes it look a little bit different and...nothing else.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Both Giratina and Shaymin have given me the biggest surprise. After that I was like uh.. okay with forms I'm seeing. Then when Mega Evolution came in, I was like is there something new/unique that Pokémon can offer other than form changes? Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them, but I wanna see something new other than form changes, it's not good if the franchise is going to completely focused on the forms.

There are a few ridiculous additions like the Cosplay Pikcahu as the OP says. I don't like Meloetta Pirouette Form either.

Back