• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon types they got horribly wrong

Years
  • Hmm... we've actually already got a thread discussing Pokemon typings, specifically the ones that we think should be changed. Since this discussion seems right in line with that, I'm going to merge this thread over there.

Which reminds me- why exactly is Lugia part Psychic type anyway? Yeah, I know that making it Water type gives it a heavy advantage over Ho-Oh, but it's the guardian of the seas for crying out loud...

MERGED.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Where is the Flying part in Scyther? It can't even fly, as far as I know. Also, what makes Cloyster an Ice type? I never really got it...

Adam Levine

Years
  • Doesn't it fly in its ORAS and X/Y animation?

Well, too bad I can't play the game.

Also, Shuckle. I took my time to realize Shuckle doesn't deserve its Bug typing, much less look like a bug for all I care. To be honest, it seems more like a Poison type. To all mushroom Pokèmon, I think this should be applied.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Well, too bad I can't play the game.

Also, Shuckle. I took my time to realize Shuckle doesn't deserve its Bug typing, much less look like a bug for all I care. To be honest, it seems more like a Poison type. To all mushroom Pokèmon, I think this should be applied.
    There's a problem with that line of reasoning though; not all mushrooms are poisonous. It's mentioned the mushrooms on Paras and Parasect are edible, and that might be the case with Foongus and Amoongus. They hold items called Tiny Mushrooms and Big Mushrooms and even occasionally Gold Mushrooms, and all of these are gourmet ingredients for food. Obviously fungus aren't in the same catagory as plants, but there is no Fungus type so they're sorta stuck as grass. As for Shuckle, I think it's based on a barnacle.

As for Pokemon with just plain bad typing... why is Cresselia still Psychic type? She's an avatar of the quarter moon with the power to dispel nightmares; you'd figure that qualifies more for the Fairy type than a pitbull.

Years
  • As for Pokemon with just plain bad typing... why is Cresselia still Psychic type? She's an avatar of the quarter moon with the power to dispel nightmares; you'd figure that qualifies more for the Fairy type than a pitbull.

The thing about Snubbull and Granbull is that they are based on a creature in Celtic mythology whose name translates to "dog fairy", which explains the Pokedex calling them the "Fairy Pokemon" and now being actual Fairy-types.

Cresselia does learn Moonblast and Moonlight (the latter now being a Fairy move), but I don't think it gets much else aside from that. It's based on the crescent moon which explains why it gets those moves, and its signature move is Psychic-type so I guess that's why they left it at that.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • The thing about Snubbull and Granbull is that they are based on a creature in Celtic mythology whose name translates to "dog fairy", which explains the Pokedex calling them the "Fairy Pokemon" and now being actual Fairy-types.

Cresselia does learn Moonblast and Moonlight (the latter now being a Fairy move), but I don't think it gets much else aside from that. It's based on the crescent moon which explains why it gets those moves, and its signature move is Psychic-type so I guess that's why they left it at that.
    Well... ok that makes some sense. But I still don't get Cresselia. If they can change Charm to a Fairy type move why not change Lunar Dance? The moon is associated with fairy activity if I'm not mistaken.

Adam Levine

Years
  • What's with Lapras's typing? Why is it an Ice type? Just because it has a freaking shell? What about Jynx and Smoochum? What makes them Ice types? Their origin doesn't really seem that reasonable.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't think every pokemon has to look exactly like his type from it's exterior. Yeah, when somethings on fire it should be a fire type, but not every ice type needs to be white and/or covered in ice crystals. Jynx fits being an ice type for me. And dark type doesn't mean literal darkness, but it's using foul fighting techniques. Pangoro seems to fit his dark typing. The only pokemon that have typings I don't agree with are Gyarados and Luxray.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    Too many Dark type mentions. It's important to keep in mind that Dark type translates as 'Evil' type in Japanese. Pokémon with this typing usually have some sort of connection to unfortunate events, maliciousness, cruelty and foul play.

Nuzleaf is based off tengu, tricky Japanese goblins who are known for their long noses, cruel tricks, ability to read minds. Makes perfect sense.

Luxray's design is the only real Dark type looking feature. It's not really that 'Evil' in its original, and would probably suit the Psychic type more in reality.

Adam Levine

Years
  • One word: Doduo. The Doduo line has a typing that everyone disagrees to: Normal/Flying. Even if it can learn Fly (which seems odd), it doesn't even have wings. Just because it's a bird, it doesn't mean it's a Flying-type.

Back