• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Major XY OU threats

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    Belly Drum + Aqua Jet on Azumarill might be threatening in OU as someone has stated.

Am I the only one who this Aegislash and a couple of the Mega Evolutions will become ubers? Even without a held item, many Megas are just too powerful.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    Belly Drum + Aqua Jet on Azumarill might be threatening in OU as someone has stated.

Am I the only one who this Aegislash and a couple of the Mega Evolutions will become ubers? Even without a held item, many Megas are just too powerful.
    yeah... might, lol

and i dont think aegislash will make it ubers, nor most of em mega evolutions. aegislash can be easily played with (e.g. earthquake, dark pulse, etc...) and some mevos are actually pretty bad. mega gyara is **** and mega ampharos/abomasnow is just too slow to compete in ubers.

also mega gengar wont probably break ubers imo because this...
    Dark_Azelf said:
    I highly doubt mega Gengar is going to be uber. Same with other Mega evo's. They are often weaker than their LO pre evo. Mega Gengar falls short on alot of KO's bar on frail weak sweepers, simply because it lacks power. :\

That and Shadow Tag is a silly reason to ban something in 2013. If we ban mega Gengar, why shouldnt Gothitelle, Wobb be banned too? They can trap a selection of pokemon too, just like Gengar can. Its not even as if he can Trap everything because like i said it falls short on alot of KO's. That and it is able to be walled, why is this relevant with Shadow Tag you ask? You can switch out the turn it mega evolves to a counter. Mega Pokemon are overhyped. Sure they are very good and add alot to the metagame, but the majority are hard walled by common Pokemon and are frankly overhyped, high OU yes, but no where near uber status bar maybe Blaziken and thats only because of speed boost and lack of counters. Drought just tips him over the edge.
    da made perfect sense, just saying...

but greninja and aegislash will make it to ou though, no doubt.

NRG

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2015
    Mega kangaskhan sweeps my entire team, usually.

Although, only my charizard is bred. The rest of my team is in-game, and we're talking 3 mon battles.

Aegislash is 50/50. If I have something else out (they usually switch it in on my azumarill) i will be forced out, they will use swords dnce that turn.

next turn a +2 shadow sneak will ohko my charizard Y leaving me with no counter and usually 3-0 loss. If they mess up and go for another swords dance I will usually ohko them with flamethrower.

pknight96

Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism
    Years
  • MegaKhan is good, but honestly, until Pokemon Bank, I'm not touching it. Solely because the Element Punches and Drain Punch are gonna get REAL annoying with her.

Another good 'mon that doesn't get much attention... MegaDactyl. That Base 150 Speed... Tough Claws boosts on 135 Base Attack... That's real nice.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • Assault Vest Goodra is pretty annoying to deal with because it is just so bulky.

I feel that Mega Mawile will be OU. Huge Power + it has only 2 weaknesses + intimidate ( before going mega) is insanity.

Talonflame will be OU due to Gale Wings ability

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • For those who have mentioned the mega Mawile, mega Garchomp can take it out in one hit with earthquake. Also a Talonflame is a threat to the Mawile, especially with gale wings.

For Talonflame, Greninja will take care of them, make sure it has smack down just in case.

Greninja is a threat though, especially with protean and the move sets available. If you suspect, or know, you are going to face one I recommend laying two layers of toxic spikes, even if it means sacrificing the spiking pokemon, then place a tank or something that has few weaknesses. Avoid anything weak to ice or rock, those moves will surprise you for how effective they are with protean.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • For those who have mentioned the mega Mawile, mega Garchomp can take it out in one hit with earthquake. Also a Talonflame is a threat to the Mawile, especially with gale wings.

For Talonflame, Greninja will take care of them, make sure it has smack down just in case.

Greninja is a threat though, especially with protean and the move sets available. If you suspect, or know, you are going to face one I recommend laying two layers of toxic spikes, even if it means sacrificing the spiking pokemon, then place a tank or something that has few weaknesses. Avoid anything weak to ice or rock, those moves will surprise you for how effective they are with protean.

Greninja still loses to Talonflame. Despite the type disadvantage, Talonflame can prey on Greninja's weak defenses with a priority Brave Bird. Sure, Greninja has its own priority in Shadow Sneak and Water Shuriken, but they're horribly weak and run off of its weaker offensive stat. Also, Smack Down is a terrible move and still uses Greninja's weaker offensive stat.

Also, Mega Mawile resists Talonflame's Brave Bird, but it won't like taking a Flare Blitz. Sucker Punch is still a problem for Talonflame because Flare Blitz doesn't get priority from Gale Wings.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • Greninja still loses to Talonflame. Despite the type disadvantage, Talonflame can prey on Greninja's weak defenses with a priority Brave Bird. Sure, Greninja has its own priority in Shadow Sneak and Water Shuriken, but they're horribly weak and run off of its weaker offensive stat. Also, Smack Down is a terrible move and still uses Greninja's weaker offensive stat.

Also, Mega Mawile resists Talonflame's Brave Bird, but it won't like taking a Flare Blitz. Sucker Punch is still a problem for Talonflame because Flare Blitz doesn't get priority from Gale Wings.

For the Mawile, roost still gets the priority boost, and that's what makes it a threat to Mawile, assuming it's not a mega Mawile, which can do enough damage if it has a move to take advantage of Talonflame's weaknesses. If the Mawile is not mega the Talonflame can take the damage, with a decent HP/DEF/SDEF EV spread, then roost the next turn to prepare for the next pokemon. I said it can take down a Mawile, not that it is the best choice.

As for Greninja, a smack down, then switch to something with good ground moves and defenses against fire can also be a strategy to take down Talonflame. Some of the best strategies I have seen deal with proper switching and timing of such moves, if executed correctly they can upset a battle.

A lot of timing nuances are often ignored, because they are difficult to pull off and require a bit more planning ahead than raw power strategies. I still recall the first time I encountered trick room recently, I was completely unprepared and lost all my advantage. It's actually why I worked to get a perfect IV Talonflame with gale wings in the first place.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • For the Mawile, roost still gets the priority boost, and that's what makes it a threat to Mawile, assuming it's not a mega Mawile, which can do enough damage if it has a move to take advantage of Talonflame's weaknesses. If the Mawile is not mega the Talonflame can take the damage, with a decent HP/DEF/SDEF EV spread, then roost the next turn to prepare for the next pokemon. I said it can take down a Mawile, not that it is the best choice.

As for Greninja, a smack down, then switch to something with good ground moves and defenses against fire can also be a strategy to take down Talonflame. Some of the best strategies I have seen deal with proper switching and timing of such moves, if executed correctly they can upset a battle.

A lot of timing nuances are often ignored, because they are difficult to pull off and require a bit more planning ahead than raw power strategies. I still recall the first time I encountered trick room recently, I was completely unprepared and lost all my advantage. It's actually why I worked to get a perfect IV Talonflame with gale wings in the first place.

No. Smack Down is still terrible. Greninja can always hit Talonflame on the switch with Surf or Hydro Pump. Switching over to your own Rock Pokemon like Barbaracle, Tyranitar or Omastar is enough to cut a Talonflame sweep short, though the former two won't like being burned by Will-o-Wisp.

Years
  • The three big threats for me would be Mega-Kangaskhan, Mega-Lucario and Talonflame.

Mega Kangaskhan: Being able to hit with the power of a Choice Band, whilst still being able to switch moves, is scary, but combined with the Swords Dance Sucker Punch, teams have to start running a specific Pokemon, just to check Kangaskhan. The only things that really stop it are bulky Ghost Pokemon that do other things than attack, such as Trevenant, and faster Fighting Pokemon. If not faster, then use Mach Punch to land the super effective hit, however due to Kangaskhan's bulk, it may not go down. If you're fighting Pre-Pokebank, it's hard to find a faster Fighting type, the only things in the Kalos Deck and are Fighting and faster than Kangaskhan is Mewtwo, which is banned and Mega-Lucario, which has to already be evolved since Jolly Mega Kangaskhan now outspeeds Jolly normal Lucario. In the case of Ghost pokemon, they don't have to evolve right away, they can go for a Power Up Punch with Scrappy for a +1, then Mega Evolve for Sucker Punch/Crunch.

Mega Lucario: Adaptability is scary on Lucario, due to Close Combat being a 240 BP with no drawback as such. With the buff to Steel Types (offensively speaking), many Lucario have been running Bullet Punch to deal with the new Fairy types, meaning faster Ghosts, such as Mega-Gengar, have a hard time dealing with it. In addition to all this, Lucario can run Crunch to deal with bulkier Ghosts, as well as Swords Dance to get a gg from the opponent.

Talonflame: Priority is fine, but Brave Bird priority is really something else. Being able to spam a 120 BP STAB move and be faster than pretty much everything, bar base 130's, which can't switch in due to being frail. Priority Roost if you're thinking of picking it off with Ice Shard is a big no-no and Flare Blitz just adds the hurt. However, unlike the other two, Talonflame suffers horrendously from recoil damage and Stealth Rock. Slapping a Rock-type Pokemon normally solves the Talonflame situation.

These are the main threats I've come across, maybe the other Mega pokemon are a problem but at the moment I've yet to either find them a problem or come across them.

Notable exclusion is Mega Gengar due to it being a little weaker than LO Gengar and you will switch your check in the turn they evolve.

Also bear in mind I play pre Poke-bank, so all these threats may become easier to deal with once we have access to our favourite Pokemons (for example, the Musketeer quadruplets check Kangaskhan very easily with Justified and Close Combat).

TL;DR: Mega Pokemon should have never been invented without Pokebank being around, Talonflame is annoying.

Last edited:

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Greninja is definitely a threat. Its high Special Attack lets it take advantage of Water attacks mainly being specials... a Greninja wielding Waterfall can be very dangerous indeed. Its high Speed makes it a Pokemon to watch out for. But! Greninja has many weaknesses- Fighting, Bug, Grass, Electric, and Fairy.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    Greninja is definitely a threat. Its high Special Attack lets it take advantage of Water attacks mainly being specials... a Greninja wielding Waterfall can be very dangerous indeed. Its high Speed makes it a Pokemon to watch out for. But! Greninja has many weaknesses- Fighting, Bug, Grass, Electric, and Fairy.
    Greninja can be a threat, but it is easily defeated as well, due to its low defenses. Waterfall is also a physical attack, so its damage output wouldn't be as great as a Surf or Hydro Pump from Greninja.

And also don't forget Protean. It won't like switching in into any of its original weaknesses, but if Protean switches its type, it basically gets other weaknesses and resistances.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Greninja can be a threat, but it is easily defeated as well, due to its low defenses. Waterfall is also a physical attack, so its damage output wouldn't be as great as a Surf or Hydro Pump from Greninja.

And also don't forget Protean. It won't like switching in into any of its original weaknesses, but if Protean switches its type, it basically gets other weaknesses and resistances.
    Yep. I've had trouble dealing with it lately... perhaps it would be better to put more Physical attackers on my team. And like I said, it does have many weaknesses, so type matchup isn't too much to worry about.

Years
  • For me these are some threats:

Talonflame - That Priority Brave Bird is sure something. Combine it with a Life Orb, Adamant nature Max Attack EV's and that's GG if your team is unprepared. The only thing that I think of that can take a hit from this thing is a freakin' Rock-type like Tyranitar or Golem. That set just swept my team without any effort -_-.

Dragonite - Give the thing a Weakness Policy combined with it's Hidden ability and Dragon Dance then you're pretty much golden!! Problem is you can't pull it off if you're opponent has Stealth Rock(provided you don't have a Defogger or Spinner). And a Greninja and Cinccino can still outspeed it even at +1, at +2 Cincinno is pretty much screwed I dunno about Greninja though.

Azumarill - Belly Drum + Aqua Jet, no need to explain lol. Mega Venusaur doesn't approve XD

Mega Blaziken - yeah him,no need to explain as well, give him Swords Dance and that's pretty GG. But Talonflame doesn't approve :D

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Dragonite - Give the thing a Weakness Policy combined with it's Hidden ability and Dragon Dance then you're pretty much golden!! Problem is you can't pull it off if you're opponent has Stealth Rock(provided you don't have a Defogger or Spinner). And a Greninja and Cinccino can still outspeed it even at +1, at +2 Cincinno is pretty much screwed I dunno about Greninja though.

Actually, if you switch in Greninja as Dragonite uses Dragon Dance it can OHKO it through Multiscale with Ice Beam provided the Greninja has Protean and a Life Orb.

After a bit more playing, Mega Absol seems like it will be fairly good. It has great attacking stats and Magic Bounce is one of the best abilities in the game. Pokemon like Trevenant won't do much after you deflect Will-O-Wisp back. The only problem is that it hates priority coming from something faster due to its defenses. This also applies to Pokemon with Justified because Absol's priority is Sucker Punch, which can only raise the attack of stuff like Terrakion.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Dragonite outspeeds Greninja after a Dragon Dance unless the person is not running speed on it :/ (224 EVs are enough to hit 378 at +1, and Timid Greninja maxes out at 377)

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 107.36 - 126.31% -- guaranteed OHKO

Of course, if Gren is Scarfed it will outspeed, but then again it misses the OHKO through Multiscale and either has to deal with DNite DD'ing again in its face if it knows it is Scarf, (before whacking it with a +2 ESpeed) or it dies to an attack from DNite off the bat.

Seconding that MegaKanga is really annoying. There are not many checks that I can think of, and those that would fit the bill are taking quite a beating from regular Khan. Ugh.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Yeah, Mega Kangaskhan's Parental Bond ability can put the damage output to x1.5 on most attacks. Combine that with a good Attack stat and give it Double-Edge through breeding, and you could be in trouble...

Back