• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing the Backsprites in FIRE RED (for beginners)

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Introduction

In this tutorial, I will show you how to change the image and palette of the male/female trainers backsprite. The reason why I am making this tutorial is because I have been looking for a tutorial like this for quiet some time and haven't found anything, so I decided to figure it out on my own (with a little but of help from people in the community). I also wanted to give back to the community since they have helped me out so much!

This tutorial is fairly easy and here are the tool you will need.

Tools

*NSE Classic
*Paint
*Advanced Palette Editor
*Irfanview

NOTE: Step 1-Step3 are for people who don't already have thier backsprites made. If you already have the backsprites you want to insert, go straight to step 4.

Step 1 - Locating the backsprites
Spoiler:

Step 2 - Exporting the backsprites
Spoiler:

Step 3 - Editing the backsprites
Spoiler:

Step 4 - Indexing your backsprite

Spoiler:

Step 5 - Fixing the Colour Mix-up

Spoiler:

Step 6 - Inserting the Images
Spoiler:

Step 7 - Changing the Palette
Spoiler:

Results
Spoiler:

Credit/Questions
Special thanks to these people for teaching me what I know:
Dylan
Karatekid
Kurapika

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If you would like me to add more or expand on anything please let me know. This was my first tutorial, if you would like more please let me know! :)

Thank you for reading my tutorial, I hope it helps you along the way!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
OH MY ARCEUS! you my friend are the best in the world! i've looked through countless tutorials on this website and youtube of how to do it and yours actually worked for me! keep up the tutorials they're awesome!

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Thanks for the support guys! If I get more positive feedback, I will probably post a tutorial on how to change the badges in FIRE RED.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Wait, won't this change the Male's hero OW palette sprite too?
Because I notice when I changed the hero's ow and palette
the hero's palette changed too along with the backsprite. So would it overwrite?

EDIT: Ooops, nevermind ^^

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 105
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
Wait, won't this change the Male's hero OW palette sprite too?
Because I notice when I changed the hero's ow and palette
the hero's palette changed too along with the backsprite. So would it overwrite?

EDIT: Ooops, nevermind ^^

In NSE, the bookmarks for the hero backsprites appear with the OW palette. This is sort of a mistake, because they actually have their own palettes in-game. At least, that's what happened for me, maybe I'm using a wrong version.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
In NSE, the bookmarks for the hero backsprites appear with the OW palette. This is sort of a mistake, because they actually have their own palettes in-game. At least, that's what happened for me, maybe I'm using a wrong version.

No I am pretty sure that is right. Or possibly the hero OW palette and thr backsprite palette are at different offsets from each other, but have the same colours. So that makes people think they are the same.

Years
  • Age 105
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
No I am pretty sure that is right. Or possibly the hero OW palette and thr backsprite palette are at different offsets from each other, but have the same colours. So that makes people think they are the same.

Actually the backsprite colours (skin tones, especially) are paler (is that a word?) than the OW sprite's colours.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Actually the backsprite colours (skin tones, especially) are paler (is that a word?) than the OW sprite's colours.

Rofl oh I didn't notice that :P Well that is just proof that the OW offset and the backsprite offset are two different things! :p

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 9, 2015
I went through and followed this tutorial to the letter. For the most part I was able to do everything that it said. I had to convert the pallet to .act because APE didn't like the .pal.
The problem I am encountering is that when I paste the normal looking image onto the odd looking one (with the correct pallet) in paint (step 5) and save it (I'm saving as a 16 color bitmap), it looks even worse. If I put it into the game, It's completely wrong.
I opened this image in irfanview and looked at the pallet, it was not even remotely close to anything relating to the original image.
I am wondering if the version of paint I have is a factor. In the screenshots it looks like an older version of paint, whereas mine is the one that came with windows 7.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 9, 2015
Thank you, that was indeed the problem.
I request that with a couple of minor modifications, this become the primary inserting sprites tutorial. It's simple, but goes into sufficient detail about everything.
Firstly I would add that windows 7 paint will not work for this, it must be an older version. Luckily older versions are free and easy to find.
Also, I find that APE can be really irritating to work with. When I open the rom, I cannot interact with anything on the main screen. I have to click bookmark, put the offset in there, name it (it won't let you proceed without naming it) and then I can start using the programs main features.

Edit: I'm working on the backsprites. I'm confident that all my images are correctly formatted, however some of them don't work properly. For both the male and female backsprites, two out of the five have the colors all messed up when I try to put them in through NSE. The pallet is not the problem as they all use the same one, and three of them work perfectly.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I forgot I made this tutorial I was looking for a tutorial for backspriting and found my own! :P

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2015
Wow, this was a very great tutorial, I'm still "new" to hacking so this should help me out with my upcoming hack. Thanks for making the tut!

Back