• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PETA offers to help Detroit residents... with a catch.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
  • I personally find it unethical to "offer" water to a family, something necessary for life, and then add the caveat that you have to do something incredibly difficult if not impossible to get that water. I would find it just as unethical if someone said "I'll pay for your water, but only if you can jump these hurdles at the speed of a high school track star!" It's not like it's the Olympics, and the person can eventually train to do that - but I would find it abhorrent to make a game out of someone's basic needs like that, you know?

For the record, last year a radio station (I know I know, bad source but not like this a difficult controlled study) went to 240 grocery stores in 6 neighborhoods in Detroit, where 30% of children in the city live. In 75% of them, you couldn't buy apples. My local Walmart has potatoes and onions in big bags and that's all it has for produce. It's not so easy in some places to go vegan.
    Huh, didn't know that. I live about 15 minutes away from Grand Rapids and there are like five grocery stores within a few minutes of my house that have all sorts of produce, but maybe that's just because I live outside the city. Then again, Grand Rapids is way better off than Detroit.

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • I guess their intentions are honorable, but having to go vegan for a month as mandatory is pretty screwed up. If they want to help people, help them, don't attempt to change their way of life because of circumstances they have no control over.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • Huh, didn't know that. I live about 15 minutes away from Grand Rapids and there are like five grocery stores within a few minutes of my house that have all sorts of produce, but maybe that's just because I live outside the city. Then again, Grand Rapids is way better off than Detroit.

Dude, comparing GR to Detroit is like comparing a Hawaiian vacation to working the rush hour shift in a sewer.

I live 10 minutes outside of Flint, and I can say I have witnessed firsthand the lack of actual grocery stores some of those neighborhoods have. Two of them around my neighborhood alone were shut down yeas ago. And that's FLINT -- imagine Detroit.

Silais

That useless reptile
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    Instead of being generous without expectation, PETA has once again proven how self-centered and hypocritical it is as an organization. I'm not overly surprised by this.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Dude, comparing GR to Detroit is like comparing a Hawaiian vacation to working the rush hour shift in a sewer.

I live 10 minutes outside of Flint, and I can say I have witnessed firsthand the lack of actual grocery stores some of those neighborhoods have. Two of them around my neighborhood alone were shut down yeas ago. And that's FLINT -- imagine Detroit.
    I wasn't comparing it to Detroit, I was outright conceding that it wasn't the same.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • My thoughts on the PeTA matter:

PeTA are scum. Only helping 10 families out of 17,000? Yeah, keep on stomping on Mario, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Cooking Mama, Assassin's Creed and all of those most insidious games, because that is more important than helping out a living, breathing human being. Keep up the good work.

Years
  • My thoughts on the PeTA matter:

PeTA are scum. Only helping 10 families out of 17,000? Yeah, keep on stomping on Mario, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Cooking Mama, Assassin's Creed and all of those most insidious games, because that is more important than helping out a living, breathing human being. Keep up the good work.

PETA is an organization against animal cruelty, they are obviously not gonna even attempt to save a human life.

Though their offer was pretty dumb, they should have helped way more families than just 10 if they want to convince anybody, or at least helped those 10 families with more than just a bag of vegetables, especially since they demand them to go on a vegan diet.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • PETA is an organization against animal cruelty, they are obviously not gonna even attempt to save a human life.

. . .if they actually did anything to protect animals in the first place. . .

The point I was making, was that when PeTA actually decides to 'help' a real thing (and not protest against video games or other nonsense), it is the bare minimum. That is what makes the whole organisation worthy of dying in fire. They preach about equal opportunity for animals while doing absolutely nothing about what they spew. Perhaps if they concentrated less on make believe, and more on reality, they might not be such a joke. Saying fictional characters skin fictional creatures (Mario Bros. 3) sounds more in line with a crazy person than a rational being.

Back