• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Concerns Regarding Clothing

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
  • You know what I think every school should have? Uniforms.

I had uniforms my entire school career, K-12, and you know what? I think I'm better for it.

Everyone wore the same thing. No one could tease you for not having the cool clothes or anything like that. And the things you did make your own stood out more, showed more about your personality. People would roll their sleeves a certain way, or wear colorful ear rings. Or a cool belt. Something to set themselves apart, and it was just... cooler in a way. It was like those little bits they changed showed who they were.

You could dress any way outside of school of course. But I'm talking for younger students. Showing them a bit of respect and restrain might be a good thing, for any youth.

And not all uniforms are terrible. My school uniform gave us a lot of options within it's policy. There were black or khakis, and black or white uniform shirt. You could mix and match however you wished. There were sweatshirts too, black, grey, and white. There were nicer blouses and button down white shirts, and black skirts for those who wanted those. You could mix and match them in any way. And everyone had their own way of making the uniform their own, but still staying in the policy like a champ.

Dr. Wiggles

Free Thinker
    Years
  • You make a lot of claims, but offer little in the way of details. If you don't want to be followed on the internet, there are easily found ways of hiding your presence. It doesn't take much skill to do. Most people just don't care about the ads that appear on a website. It's just like most things in your life that you see but don't pay much attention to, because it's a regular occurrence.

For instance, you wouldn't pay much attention to your neighbour watering their lawn wearing nothing but their underwear if its something they do on a regular basis. One time it's a curiosity, twice an oddity. But the more times you see it, the less it affects you until you one day you'll have a conversation with your neighbour and not even notice that they may only be wearing a g-string. At that point you've grown so accustomed to it that you don't even notice it any more.

And saying that people are simply puppets of the media... well that's a claim that can't be substantiated with anything but conspiracy theories. There's no real fact to what you are suggesting, only fearful ways of interpreting what you do see. Again, I challenge you to present the evidence of whatever hidden agenda you believe these media outlets are out to force on people.

Yes, I agree, the internet has become a very important part of people's lives, but I suggest that this is mainly because it has become such an effective tool to provide what human beings instinctively need: contact with other human beings. The telephone, the light bulb, the television, the radio... these are all tools used to help people connect with other people. And the internet is no different. It's just that its capabilities are far more varied.

I don't think you understood the point I made.

You know what I think every school should have? Uniforms.

I had uniforms my entire school career, K-12, and you know what? I think I'm better for it.

Everyone wore the same thing. No one could tease you for not having the cool clothes or anything like that. And the things you did make your own stood out more, showed more about your personality. People would roll their sleeves a certain way, or wear colorful ear rings. Or a cool belt. Something to set themselves apart, and it was just... cooler in a way. It was like those little bits they changed showed who they were.

You could dress any way outside of school of course. But I'm talking for younger students. Showing them a bit of respect and restrain might be a good thing, for any youth.

And not all uniforms are terrible. My school uniform gave us a lot of options within it's policy. There were black or khakis, and black or white uniform shirt. You could mix and match however you wished. There were sweatshirts too, black, grey, and white. There were nicer blouses and button down white shirts, and black skirts for those who wanted those. You could mix and match them in any way. And everyone had their own way of making the uniform their own, but still staying in the policy like a champ.

Everything you said is subjective. "Let's get rid of creativity, because it worked for me."

I've been to catholic and public school, and going to a public school made me a much better person.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • Everything you said is subjective. "Let's get rid of creativity, because it worked for me."

I've been to catholic and public school, and going to a public school made me a much better person.

That's the point, that it was subjective. Hence why I said 'I think', numerous times. It was my opinion.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I just want to point out about the OP, most radfems preach for the opposite. They think girls should be able to dress however they want without repercussions. I agree on this, though, to an extent.

I also haven't been keeping up with the debate in the thread so I'm going to sort of do my own thing:

I agree entirely with Phantom that uniforms should be more commonplace. They prepare people for most workforces by disciplining the importance of dress code in business and other formal settings. There are a lot of girls (side-eyeing Tumblr, here) who just bawl and complain because they can't wear their hot pants or miniskirts to school. While I do disagree about some of the strictness of dress codes and how they're enforced (anyone else had the 'tank top straps must be three fingers wide' and 'skirts/shorts must not be past your fingertips' rules?), I think it's something they need to just suck up, because in no business setting would they be able to get away with that besides in some forms of entertainment, lol.

As far as hours outside of that 9-5, I do think that girls should have the liberty to dress as they please, to an extent. Some girls just need some common sense in how they dress in public, tbh. The same could be said for boys in some situations, though.

I realize how ironic it is that this is my first post after changing my theme to Bayonetta.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I just want to point out about the OP, most radfems preach for the opposite. They think girls should be able to dress however they want without repercussions. I agree on this, though, to an extent.

Not according to my sources. I've seen radical feminists complaining about Zero Suit Samus' heels in the new Smash Bros., dunno if footwear counts as clothing, because it's too sexualized. They want female characters to dress more formally and not obvious eye candy by giving them midriffs, skirts, or bare backs.

I realize how ironic it is that this is my first post after changing my theme to Bayonetta.

Bayonetta was also criticized by feminists, more specifically Anita Sarkissian, for her choice of clothing.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Not according to my sources. I've seen radical feminists complaining about Zero Suit Samus' heels in the new Smash Bros., dunno if footwear counts as clothing, because it's too sexualized. They want female characters to dress more formally and not obvious eye candy by giving them midriffs, skirts, or bare backs.

Bayonetta was also criticized by feminists, more specifically Anita Sarkissian, for her choice of clothing.

I don't think you understand the nuances of the position. Those are characters, not people. A lot of feminists, not just radfems, believe that creating characters that are sexualized as a main component of their character reduces women to their sexuality. They also believe that, because women should be seen as more than their sexuality, they shouldn't be judged for wearing skimpy clothing because they're still a human being with value underneath the clothing.

I would recommend spending more time actually talking to feminists before deciding that you know what their views are. You've been told multiple times that you are not correct now.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018

Most modern feminists I know personally hold a very strong belief that women should be able to dress however they want, whenever they want without social consequence. I don't know where you're getting your sources but they sound old-school fem.

Oryx hit the nail on the head too, that many believe that women are more than their sexuality or lack of, and that judgment should come from their character and not their choice in dress... or lack of lol.

Really, I just think that if guys can run around with their boxers in full view then people should stop freaking out if a girl chooses to show a little cleavage or if a bra strap is showing. A half-inch piece of fabric being visible on girls' shoulders will not end the world as we know it. There's so much judgment on females' choice of dress that it's getting ridiculous. Yoga pants have been banned from public schools just because of how they fit around the bum, never mind that they cover your entire lower body.

Plus, there's this famous comic. It just goes to show that there is a lot of pressure from men in how women dress, and that's something that should end.
    Spoiler:

Also, I know of the FemFreq video where she discusses Bayonetta, and within 30 seconds it becomes evident that she hasn't been exposed to more than the promo trailers for the game. She's very much ignorant in her discussions on feminism so I find her points to be irrelevant. Many people who have played the game and know the character agree that she is one of the better female protags in video games. But alas, this is a thread on clothing and not video game characters so I digress lol.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • When preparing for battle, one should always dress to kill.
    4d6e86efab359be08ba9c653473f52ac.jpg

Disregard others, and dress for ultimate success. Double Standards exist everywhere.

Thought for the day: The universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed. . .

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Not sure if comedic videos on debate subjects are appropriate for this section, but it looks like College Humor has already tackled this issue almost two years, not to mention spawning follow-ups to it:

Spoiler:

Back