• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate/Improve My Team!

Magmorter

Suffering from Pokerus...
Years
  • Hey this is my Heart Gold team that I am currently putting together in Emerald and then trading up to Heart Gold (Emerald is easier for breeding). Please give any suggestions for different pokemon/moves I could add, any help would be appreciated. I was thinking of maybe switching Jolteon with a fire/type such as Ninetales, Arcanine, Magmar, or Typhlosion.

Gardevoir @ TwistedSpoon
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 56 HP / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    282.png

- Psychic
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunderbolt
    - Destiny Bond

Milotic @ Leftovers
    Trait: Marvel Scale
    EVs: 84 HP / 252 Def / 112 SAtk / 48 SDef / 12 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    350.png

- Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Recover

Miltank@ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 212 HP / 12 Atk / 252 Def / 32 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    241.png

- Body Slam
    - Milk Drink
    - Heal Bell
    - Earthquake

Flygon @ Choice Band
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 32 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    330.png

- Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Rock Slide
    - Faint Attack

Jolteon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    135.png

- Baton Pass
    - Substitute
    - Hidden Power [Ice]/Agility
    - Thunderbolt

Breloom @ Leftovers
    Trait: Effect Spore
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    286.png

- Focus Punch
    - Spore
    - Sky Uppercut
    - Bulk Up

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Hey there. I'm not exactly the best person to be rating a Gen 4 team but there are some movesets and stuff I can help you fix up. I'll just mention slight changes and I'll be on my way, partially because I have little experience with Gen 4 - at least, little quality experience, haha. :x

Gardevoir is... moreso outclassed than anything else. IIRC Alakazam is faster and hits harder off the bat, where Porygon2 does a better job of abusing Trace by absolutely stopping things like Gyarados. However, if you're bent on using it, you should run this set:

Gardevoir @ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Trait: Trace
    Nature: Timid/Modest (are you stuck with using Mild?)
    EVs: 252 SAtk/252 Spe/4 HP
    - Psychic
    - Calm Mind
    - Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast

Milotic wants 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA, and would prefer Hidden Power Electric >> Toxic to stop Gyarados but otherwise it looks fine.

Miltank wants to abuse its solid speed with 240 HP / 84 Def / 184 Spe @ Jolly. You can also run Rock Slide or Stealth Rock > Earthquake.

CB Flygon wants 252 Atk / 252 Spe @ Adamant with EQ/Outrage/Fire Punch/U-turn.

Hoping that Jolteon is Timid and not Impish, looks standard there.

You're trying to do too much with Breloom. Either you need to run the standard Subpunch set (which you can get by running Substitute > Bulk Up and Seed Bomb/Stone Edge > Sky Uppercut) or you need to run Swords Dance which is infinitely more useful on something frail like Breloom. Swords Dance set has you running Mach Punch > Focus Punch and Seed Bomb/Stone Edge >> Sky Uppercut and obviously SD >> Bulk Up.

Good luck with your team! I hope I helped you fix up your movesets a bit, heh. :x

PkmnLvr6

Advanced Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2011
    If you're going to be using this team in battle tower or even in competitive play you can't really get away with all of your Pokemon holding Leftovers seeing as each Pokemon has to be holding a different item. As for using Gardevoir I think it's fine except the fact that you should use Modest instead of Mild seeing as it has no attack moves and Mild would just be lowering its defense for no reason and it would be less likely to survive a physical attack. If you were wanting to use Destiny Bond you should probably attach a Salac Berry to it since it has pretty low speed so it can take down a faster opponent more easily when it is weak. Although you do have to watch out for speed priority moves such as Bullet Punch. You could even choose Alakazam or Gengar over it because they are both faster and Alakazam hits harder, whereas Gengar has a quicker Destiny Bond. So if you were to replace it with an Alakazam or Gengar I would suggest this-

Alakazam @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Inner Focus(to avoid Fake Out)/Synchronize(if you're scared of paralysis)
    Nature: Timid
    EV's: 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Trick

or

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Sludge Bomb(strongest STAB move although not much coverage)
    Thunderbolt
    Energy Ball
    Shadow Ball/Destiny Bond(either for use against Psychic and Ghost types who do supereffective damage against Gengar)

Milotic is okay but you may want to reconsider putting the 12 EV's you would put in speed into another stat because 12 EV's in speed isn't really necessary since you can't really out speed any additional Pokemon with it.

I would probably replace Miltank with Kangaskhan if you have access to one with this moveset-

Kangaskhan @ Leftovers
    Ability: Early Bird
    Nature: Jolly/defensive nature
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Spd, 4 Att
    Double Edge
    Earthquake
    Crunch
    Rest(one turn to wake up rather than 2 while having Early Bird)

I would suggest this for the rest of your team-

Flygon @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Hasty/Lonely
    EV's: 252 Att, 252 Spd, 4 SpA
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast
    Rock Slide
    Dragon Claw

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Nature: Modest
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Hidden Power Ice
    Hyper Beam

and I would suggest Heracross instead of Breloom since they basically have the same weaknesses but Heracross has a bigger move pool

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Guts
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EV's: 252 Att, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Megahorn
    Close Combat
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake

Hope that helps and hopefully you have access to all the additional Pokemon and items. Good luck!

Magmorter

Suffering from Pokerus...
    Years
  • Thanks for the help guys, just got a few questions about it:

You're trying to do too much with Breloom. Either you need to run the standard Subpunch set (which you can get by running Substitute > Bulk Up and Seed Bomb/Stone Edge > Sky Uppercut) or you need to run Swords Dance which is infinitely more useful on something frail like Breloom. Swords Dance set has you running Mach Punch > Focus Punch and Seed Bomb/Stone Edge >> Sky Uppercut and obviously SD >> Bulk Up.

I was running the Spore/Sub Puncher for Breloom as I've had success with it in the past, Bulk Up and Sky Uppercut were simply fillers, any suggestions for other moves?

I usually try to stay away from the generall 252/252/4 format of ev's, so with Milotic the extra speed evs allows it to outspeed a few slower walls for when i switch in and toxic. I was thinking of replacing Toxic with Light Screen to make it more of a special wall.

Likewise with Miltank I like to switch up the ev's, and it's more of a wall/team support than attacker, plus i've got 31hp and 30df IV's so I think I'll leave it. Shadow ball definitley needs changing, Earthquake is a good option but Flygon already has it? any other options so I can increase my type advantages?

CB Flygon needs HP so it can take a few hits, it's speed is fairly irrelevant because even maxed it is likely to be outsped. Outrage is good but I'm not sure where to find the TM? haha

And yes, Jolteon is Modest, Timid is'nt nessicary as it outspeeds everything anyways :D

Gardevoir is unfortunatley Mild, its extra HP lets it get in a Calm Mind before it can sweep, Jolteon can also Baton Pass a substitute so It can get a couple CM's in. I may consider switching for a Gengar or Porygon as I am unable to get a Salac Berry :(

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I suggested other moves to run. Subpunch wants Substitute > Bulk Up and Seed Bomb/Stone Edge > Sky Uppercut so you're not walled by anything and everything that is Ghost-type or Flying-type or Psychic-type etc.

...any particular reason why you avoid those spreads? They're effective. Any particular wall you want to outspeed with those EVs? If you don't mention any specific ones, you're just throwing random EVs on there and it's kind of a waste of EVs tbh. :/ Also running Light Screen won't really make it "more of a special wall" - it'll just cut down on the ways it can harm stuff by removing Toxic while Pokemon can just start Calm Minding up on you while you do likely pitiful damage back.

Like I said, you need a purpose to switch up EVs. And, um... You had Earthquake in the original Miltank set. ?__?

Flygon doesn't need to take hits. It's actually fast (Base 100 - ties with things like Salamence, Jirachi, Celebi...) and it isn't bulky even with HP EVs. Its speed is incredibly relevant and when maxed gives it a lot more opportunities than adding onto its already iffy bulk. There is no Outrage TM and I cba to remember how Flygon gets it.

Timid is necessary if you want to outspeed things like Starmie.

Also I hate to say stuff like this but tbh a large chunk of what PkmnLvr6 said is unviable. Choice Specs 'Zam is Pursuit-bait, and anything Sash'd midgame loses to Stealth Rock (and you have no way of spinning it away, either). If anything, run Substitute Alakazam or Gengar. At least that way you don't lose to Tyranitar.

If you want to win, do not run Choice Specs Jolteon w/Hyper Beam tyvm. Also suggesting Scarf Heracross > Breloom is a poor suggestion - they both fill incredibly different roles and while yes Scarf Hera can be effective, so can Breloom and Hera is by no means better than Breloom. Just my two cents.

Back