• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Opposite Debate: Animal Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

They call me Brandon Lee

don't u look at my girlfriend
Years
  • Plenty of rapists and death throw / life in prison w/o parole people in prison. Save a bunny. Test on a serial killer instead ♥
    problem with that is that there's no way to actually conclusively test whether or not those individuals are actually innocent. Quite a few people are executed and later found out to be innocent this is a major reason why I appose the death penalty in general

my major problem outside of ethical concerns regarding animal testing is that animals are not humans - and expecially in cases of psychological testing it doesn't make practical sense to push the results of a rat onto a human.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2015
    Ok, this is going to be a long one.
    I respect all of you who believe that yes, animals should be tested on. I also respect the people who don't believe so. As for me, I can totally see both sides of the argument. First of all, the PRO side. Scientists test on rodents and rabbits. It's not like they are testing on dogs and cats, our pets or something. If they were, I'd definitely go with the CON side. But the people who con this--think about it. Hundreds of thousands of rabbits in the world, and the scientists pull out ONE. I'm sorry to bring this into the conversation, but a person dies every second, literally. Most of those people you don't even know. So, like the people, it's smarter to fight for specific bunnies, like your pet, than bunnies in general. Now, to the PRO side. A happy family of rabbits, hopping around outside their den, and all of a sudden--BOOM!--a tranquilizer dart hits the dad. The others, scared, run away. Not intelligent enough to know any of the truth except that he's gone. How does that sound? You may say I'm being too dramatic, but it's true! Animals may not be as smart as us but they DO have brains and they DO have feelings. I we are going to use rabbits and rats, they shouldn't just be pulled out of the wild. They should be RAISED in a lab, in that environment. Not only would this help the animals by preserving them, it would also help the scientists. Think--a scared animal just pulled out of the wild, not acting normal at all. Or a animal used to the lab, with its usual behaviors. Scientists prefer to have the real thing when testing, so they know what's normal. Now, if they record an animal jumping around in a circle, crying out loud as normal, when it sits still they'll think something's up.
    I hope you understand my sides. Now if I ABSOULUTELY had to choose just one side, it would be CON. But I clearly see both sides and understand what you are saying. Thanks!

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • problem with that is that there's no way to actually conclusively test whether or not those individuals are actually innocent. Quite a few people are executed and later found out to be innocent this is a major reason why I appose the death penalty in general

Yeah, this is a major problem, too. I elaborated a little bit further in other posts, but it doesn't cover this aspect of detainees.

That said, people are are inappropriately or falsely imprisoned usually acquire a settlement for lost time. This would just be further extended should that individual face scientific testing of sorts. I don't think it'll deter crime - the death penalty doesn't even do that, let's be real - but it's of better use of them than just sittin' there eating up tax dollars in a prison.

It doesn't also apply to detainees of petty crimes such as theft. It'd only be applicable to those who have caused substantial harm to other humans, animals, etc. purposefully and who several psychiatrists assert would be repeat offenders. These are the people who would be tested on, if any, and there'd be several stages to make sure that that detainee warrants that treatment and if the crime fits the level of harshness required to have them involuntarily submitted to receiving certain treatments :pink_nod: This would also force new laws to be written about prisoner rights, but that's something else entirely.

But that's in partnership with other scientific investigations, like finding an alternative to animals through DNA analysis and production. Not production as in creating a new being, but creating a mass of cells that would in some way function or react plausibly similar to how animals or humans would. Detainees would simply act as last-stage specimen to address various lurking variables in treatments. By that point the tests shouldn't put them in danger (unless the lurking variable causes a reaction).

But that's such fantastical thinking. No one wants to fund the DNA alternative because animal cruelty still isn't a big enough issue to warrant it. There's not enough pressure. It's a bit sad, but I guess there can only be wishful thinking for now until that voice has enough political and celebrity backing, and of course that if the technology isn't available we'd have to wait for that advancement, too.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    Can it not be argued that rabbits are a somewhat fragile species to begin with?
    No, it can not. For any kind of testing you must choose a subject which is EQUAL to (in this case) humans in the perspective that counts.

Save a bunny. Test on a serial killer instead
    Sorry, but this is not part of their punishment. And as testing can result in permanent injury the question of forcefully applying it on people will end up as the question of capital punishment (what is internationally banned for very good reasons).
    You might offer them in return of reduced punishment of course.

And don't forget that some undisposable tests are lethal even at success.

ome humans are-- in fact --willing to be tested on for a dollar amount.
    The problem is, you just legalised murder.
    And created a lot of cripple who needs lifetime social support because they are, out of foolishness or a bowl of soup for the day instead of hunger, got seriously and irreversibly injured.

absolutely not. Animals were not put on this earth to be tested on.
    Animals were not "put" on Earth at all. They evolved, just like humans did.

It's not like they are testing on dogs and cats, our pets or something.
    Actually they DO. Regular test-animals are rats, rabbits, dogs, pigs and monkeys for general purposes. All kind of plants and animals and more are used in specific testings.

But that's in partnership with other scientific investigations, like finding an alternative to animals through DNA analysis and production.
    And that1s what the law and practice says too.
    Unnecessary testings are avoided for ethical and monetary purposes. Each animal you test on costs money. And noone has infinite founds.

All who oppose should learn some basic knowledge of the current world. Today not even food can be released without serious testing - anyone heared about gene manipulation? And sorry, but without GMO millions if not billions would die in a couple of MONTHS all the sudden.

You like your cosmetics? - animal testing or your face will melt away, or just die from unforseen allergic reaction.

Medical drugs? - sry, but new chemicals can not be told what will do for certain until tested.

Tests are needed. If you want to exclude animals give a reliable basis of expandable material.
    But if your source will be criminals, you are just supporting crimes and imprisoning innocents (because what if people start to behave?).

PS: There is a reason why we capture pokemon, beat them into submission and make them fight instead of humans making war. And thatis: animal testing! Pokemmon as show supports animal testing!

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    What? NO! I can't believe this site would even make a board about this. That's plain crude. How would you feel if something like this was done on human beings huh? Wouldn't like it done on you huh. Then think how the poor animal feels. They have just as much rights as we do.

Years
  • First off, we need to define a normative goal in how human society ought to operate.

The normative goal is to promote increase the degree of collective pleasure and decrease the degree of collective pain. (I know, very Rousseuian.

With regards to animals and environment, we either adhere to the principle above, or we must then admit, collective human happiness/security/fulfillment is not the underpinning of morality. Often what is moral in the normative context I list above is also concerned with the preservation of the environment and ecosystem, which are needed to maintain health and resources which hold a great deal of stock in happiness.

Testing on animals, so long as it maximizes human happiness, is morally ethical. However, when animals are used in a way that is wasteful in the exchange of happiness/displeasure, then that is an unethical form of testing. Though, animal testing in and of itself is not unethical under the normative underpinning listed above.

So my question for those who are against animal testing, what is the normative underpinning you are basing ethics? Keep it concise, one or two sentences, and then explain the application to the topic thereafter.

I am anticipating that those against testing on animals have an unexpressed normative underpinning of how morality and ethics ought to be constructed. Mainly, that animals have rights and endure suffering, and essentially, humans should limit the cumulative happiness, which might include forgoing lower food supplies, increase costs of living, less money to invest in other activities/education/family/healthcare, decreased health status with less efficient medical testing, among other deficiencies to happiness. Happiness will necessarily decrease among humans if testing on animals is outlawed...unless as effective alternatives (in regard to results and costs) are discovered. That condition has not been met, therefore, currently outlawing testing will reduce collective happiness among humans.

Normatively, how do you justify that?

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • First off, we need to define a normative goal in how human society ought to operate.

The normative goal is to promote increase the degree of collective pleasure and decrease the degree of collective pain. (I know, very Rousseuian.

With regards to animals and environment, we either adhere to the principle above, or we must then admit, collective human happiness/security/fulfillment is not the underpinning of morality. Often what is moral in the normative context I list above is also concerned with the preservation of the environment and ecosystem, which are needed to maintain health and resources which hold a great deal of stock in happiness.

Testing on animals, so long as it maximizes human happiness, is morally ethical. However, when animals are used in a way that is wasteful in the exchange of happiness/displeasure, then that is an unethical form of testing. Though, animal testing in and of itself is not unethical under the normative underpinning listed above.

So my question for those who are against animal testing, what is the normative underpinning you are basing ethics? Keep it concise, one or two sentences, and then explain the application to the topic thereafter.

I am anticipating that those against testing on animals have an unexpressed normative underpinning of how morality and ethics ought to be constructed. Mainly, that animals have rights and endure suffering, and essentially, humans should limit the cumulative happiness, which might include forgoing lower food supplies, increase costs of living, less money to invest in other activities/education/family/healthcare, decreased health status with less efficient medical testing, among other deficiencies to happiness. Happiness will necessarily decrease among humans if testing on animals is outlawed...unless as effective alternatives (in regard to results and costs) are discovered. That condition has not been met, therefore, currently outlawing testing will reduce collective happiness among humans.

Normatively, how do you justify that?

I remember cosplaying as Jean-Jacques Rousseau for my history project a few years ago lol Everyone had to dress up and debate a topic from that person's standpoint.

That aside,

I think the language that you use is rather self-serving (for humanity) and excessively powerful for the context it's used in. Specifically, a summary of your statement would be "How could someone justify that animal rights are anywhere near as important as those as the right of [wo]man?" It's more the word "justify" than anything: animals have feelings, are sentient, in some ways are conscious (but not typically free-will from what we've seen) creatures. It is sad that we should have to justify that any creature that feels pain, sadness, loss - all feelings that have been demonstrated and proven in the animal kingdom (the dog that dies on his owner's grave from sorrow, the elephant that weeps the loss of its child, the bunny that dies from depression after its mate dies, the cat that races to its owner's side if the individual yells or cries) - is deserving of rights. The fact that it has to be justified when it is scientifically obvious that animals are sentient creatures is self-serving for humanity in that purposeful ignorance in that regard is only for the benefit of man at the expense of much less "important" animal life.

I do not think it's humanity's decision to decide what is and isn't valuable life. Humanity makes a lot of really stupid judgmental errors all the time; it's almost foolish not to say that in this case, where the economical profit is so high, that the error is explicitly purposeful. To encourage any other mindset would be to ultimately accept financial losses as companies would be forced to find alternatives to furballs in order to achieve the same results.

Sure, I'm happy when they discover a new vaccine or positively test a new treatment that can save human life. I think it's great that science has advanced to the point where we can now heal broken wrists, restructure bones, prevent diseases before they even occur, etc. The methodology is flawed and is selfish, however, and until the outcry against such practices intensifies the research will continue since it is the option that is consistent and the less expensive to use.

The collective good is no good if it's founded on the graves of millions of animals who were kept in small cages, experimented on, in discomfort or pain before being tossed aside like an aborted foetus. A lot of people who have posted here are against testing unknown substances on humans and have expressed interest in testing these same potentially dangerous concoctions on unexpecting lab rats and rabbits. Obviously there is a shift in value here that I cannot agree with. Humans are going to protect their own before anything, but they are also meant to protect those around them as we are at the top of the food pyramid. We are devastatingly powerful creatures that have caused the extinction of numerous species and leave our own to starve to death on African plains. Rather than using our stature for the collective good of all, we insist on taking easier routes for the sake of acquiring more or spending less money.

I'd like to ask everyone, not just you, an objective question: Why do you believe that animals should have less rights than humans? Is it because they are simply not human, and thus they are disposable? Is anything "not human" disposable, even if we rely on those things to live the way we do (trees, grass, animals, atmosphere, etc.)? Are you in denial of the fact that animals have been proven to harbour feelings? Is it because they lack a conscience, something that only humans have identified as of some degree of importance (and not the natural order of things that insists on its acquisition)? Are you in denial that animals flagrantly feel pain and other emotions? Or is it because you believe that they are simple-minded (instinct-driven) and can't understand their own emotions?

Or are we really the simple-minded ones? We've outgrown our instincts and replaced it with money; money that means absolutely nothing to any other species, planet, etc. Money that even on our planet can be seen as useless or pointless when substinance is readily available in the environment. Money, money, money. It's not even about ethics anymore. It's a question of money. The idea that animals are somehow less than humans is rooted in the fact that by having the public accept this as ethical, labs can continue to use animals as a cost-effective solution to bettering human life rather than investing in other solutions that cause less grief for similar results. I'm not talking about prisoner use here but rather of developing cells that when clustered would produce some kind of result. It's not impossible to invest in an alternative; rather, it's just too expensive and "we're fine like this" is the commonplace attitude nowadays. The desire for money is equally drowned in the power we have acquired by having the option to choose an alternative but choosing not to. We can choose; the animals have no choice. They are raised to be subjected to sometimes mediocre studies - make-up and fashion products being the first that come to mind - at the expense of their comfort or lives.

If humanity really cared about the collective good, it would shift away from money and return to a pseudo-bartering system where the good was really in mind. Everyone would live comfortably and researchers wouldn't resort to animal experimentation due to less cost because cost would not exist: as long as there is greed, there will be animal experimentation, there will be poverty, there will be suffering not just from animals but from humans. The system of ethics we currently have - completely based around money - is horribly flawed and benefit a select few.

As long as a system of greed based on money is in place, the collective good is not the mindset; never has been and never will be. It's whatever makes the most money and results in less spending that is at the forefront of their minds. It's a facade to assume that they're looking out for even your best interests when they're simultaneously bathing in green. They might have been able to convince the majority that what they're doing is "for society's good" but trust me, if it somehow became non-profit there'd be a lot less interest. That's not even to speak of the short-term mindset those with the most power have - resorting to oil sands for energy, dumping toxic waste into underwater crevasses, etc. - resort to because, guess what, it's cost effective. It was never about us; it's been about gaining enough support to make things acceptable that shouldn't be in an effort to make the most money.

Last edited:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Okay folks! This week's Opposite Debate was great. Lots of good back and forth (and I'll even ignore that nobody followed the PRO/CON structure as designed since there was a strong debate going on) and some good arguments.

Since the debating was so strong, I'm declaring the winners: Belldandy and Oloolooloo! You both did a fantastic job arguing for your views! Honorable mentions go to The Dark Avenger and Larry for their efforts as well.

Side note: a few of you need to take a look at the rules and guidelines.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back