• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What did you learn from the fifth generation?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
There's a lot you could've learnt. Whether it's the generation you got into competitive battling, that PETA actually had a valid cause, or something as simple as some Japanese! What did the generation teach you, that you've taken with you into the next generation? Do share :)

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Whether it's the generation you got into competitive battling
Funnily enough, Gen 5 was the generation I got into competitive battling (starting with Black/White), mainly because I wanted to clear the Battle Subway Super lines.

Never did beat those, btw.

So most of what I learned from Gen 5 was about competitive battling. I also started to breed then, though not nearly as much as I do now, but I more or less learned the basics of breeding then. Though most of my breeding projects weren't that good.....

I feel like there was something else too, but I don't remember.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Gen V was actually when I lost interest in competitive battling orz

I learned about RNG and how it works and stuff in Gen V but I never tried it or anything.

Years
BW2 taught me to AVOID BREEDERS AT ALL COSTS. It was annoying that they would battle you every time you entered the route and were in range x_x Thank goodness that isn't the case in XY.

It was around Fifth Gen. that I started becoming more interested in competitive battling, and I think that's also when I began learning more about it.

Aside from competitive battling, I did learn that it was possible for GF to break the trend of having the same general storyline over and over again, though I still don't know why they didn't do it for BW2 or XY :V Also learned that fully animated sprites actually looked better than they initially sounded; too bad they won't be around anymore. Oh, and I guess I learned that I really liked being challenged in Pokemon games (even in normal playthroughs), likely due to my playing them for so many years. Hopefully Challenge Mode will return at some point in future games.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
The biggest thing I learned to do in Gen V was RNG abuse. After learning how to abuse for eggs, I expanded into wild catches, stationary Pokemon, gift Pokemon, and even ID abuse. I still occasionally enjoy digging out White to breed some flawless shinys in a matter of fact xD

I also learned to not judge Pokemon at face value. There were a lot of Gen V Poke's that I thought would be underwhelming to use that actually turned out to be fantastic partners.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
For me it was also the generation I got into competitive battling. In-game I tried to EV (and failed!), I learnt about natures and why Adamant Herdier and Sawk was a good thing, and why Modest Audino didn't really achieve much... I also learnt most importantly how creative GF could truly be. Out of all the generations, this is the one where I literally got so involved with the world, even though things like rotationals and triples weren't amazing, it was just the little things, like... the music, the areas, it just made me really appreciate what GF were capable of, something that I haven't done with any other game.

I also learnt in way, that... if I were a Pokemon trainer, I would respect the Pokemon and actually like, ask 'em if they'd rather be free. I hate releasing but... sometimes its better like, if I legitimately was a trainer I would be a lot like N, who I think personally taught a lot of fans of the games to appreciate the Pokemon a lot more than they did before. Pokemon are individuals, and in a way, represent animals in the world, as well as people. We should all treat them the same, and just not use them for certain things... just be aware of them really. I know it's corny but N was useful I swear!!!

Back