• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oh, a bite!

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
  • Oh, a bite!
    Fishing is a way to encounter wild Pokémon, by throwing out your rod in a body of water. It's available in any game, although they don't all have the same mechanics. What do you think of fishing in general? Which generation has the best mechanics? What do you think of chain fishing?

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • I honestly...don't know. The fishing mechanics always seemed the same, at least for me.

The only time I really found it useful was when I wanted to have a Milotic, so I caught a Feebas but god it was rare.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I honestly...don't know. The fishing mechanics always seemed the same, at least for me.

There's a slight difference. In RBY/FRLG/GSC you either had a bite or not, while in DPPt you had to press A quickly after after an exclamation mark appeared above the player's head. In RSE you even had to do this consecutive times in order to reel in a Pokémon.

Reactions: Sun

GengyGengar

Sp00py
    Years
  • I preferred RSE's mechanics. I liked them because the more times you pressed 'A' at an exclamation, the more powerful the Pokemon you get. It added a sense of anticipation and excitement to the potential catch.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I agree with above; although fishing mechanics did remain more or less the same in most main-series titles, method we had in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald was a little more detailed, so to speak, and also exciting. Do I enjoy fishing, personally? Sure, why not? It's definitely a fun and unique way to be encountering Pokémon. As for chain-fishing, I feel things could be a little frustrating when it comes to it. Unless there's some shiny water-type out there that no-one is willing to trade, I tend to avoid chain-fishing

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I love chain fishing, and for the most part it doesn't really make a big difference to me which fishing method there is. I seem to remember disliking R/S/E's, and liking X/Y's, but it's hard to be sure.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Despite RSE resembles real life fishing (which I wouldn't mind doing in real life), I didn't really like it. I enjoyed the fishing mechanic from Gen IV, Gen I and II. It would be great if they keep one of those methods.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Fishing was sort of a pain in the early generations. It was essentially random back then, and it could get tedious and dull after a while. The newer games improved things by quite a bit, since there's timing involved. It's still a little random though, since there are times when you might not catch anything, but that's how fishing is irl, so I can't complain too much xD

Years
  • I remember my days of playing R/S/E and the fishing was just so hard. I could literally not time it right most of the time, so I was happy 4th Gen and later simplified things and now I find myself fishing more than I used to. The addition of chain fishing in 6th Gen also gave you a nice chance of getting shinies as well.

Years
  • I haven't really given fishing a proper go yet, I'm all about completing the story then when I have the time I don't really think about it unless I need to to complete the Dex. Not sure if it's because I'm not that bothered about Water-types or because it seems slow and you don't always get a bite. I might see if I can find a Pokemon I like and try chain fishing for a shiny, sounds like a good mechanic and may inspire me!

Back