• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Genders

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
Years
  • How much do you care about a Pokemon's gender? Do you go out of your way to make sure it has the gender you want on absolutely everything you use? Do you just slap whatever name onto it regardless of gender, as if that little symbol never even existed? Somewhere in the middle?

For me... unless I'm going for something really specific, I'll only put effort into getting a specific gender if the Pokemon just doesn't seem right as the opposite... like a female Machamp. I'll also actively seek out specific genders on a Pokemon that has a different appearance based on being male or female, though there are some with such subtle differences that I don't tend to care.

Years
  • How much do you care about a Pokemon's gender?

Only certain Pokemon, such as ones that are mainly more common as a specific gender I tend to go for the more common gender although there have been occasions I ended up with the opposite. There's also others I tend to go for a certain gender, such as Yanma, Emolga, Buneary and Aipom which I mainly did to mimic certain Pokemon owned by main characters in the anime, and also Electrike for some reason (likely because I always use a female one as a shoutout to my original Manectric from Ruby). Then there are others I use of either gender regardless.

Last edited:

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I generally don't care about Pokemon Gender, but sometimes(very rare) i focus on Pokemon gender like some Pokemons have high defense and special defense(as compared to male counterpart) when it gender is female.Everything have its own weakness and strength so from now i don't care about genders, i think this policy "just move forward in games and never look back whatever gender of that Pokemon is" :D

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • It normally doesn't matter much to me, but I do have a tiny bit of bias towards the rarer gender when it's a Pokemon with a non 50-50 gender ratio :) And of course, as mentioned by Frozen Lotus, I try to pick genders that are appropriate for the Pokemon in question. I'm also selective about gender when I need the gender to fit into my nicknaming convention. When I use my FMA Homunculus theme, for example, I'll try to make sure my Gengar (Pride) is male and my Milotic (Lust) is female.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • On a normal playthrough I don't care about the gender, unless I really want to give a Pokémon a specific nickname that only fits to one of the two genders, otherwise I just catch the first one I meet. My nicknames always match the gender or are gender neutral, often describing the species. I do of course care about it when it makes a difference, like for breeding purposes.

Years
  • Normally I don't care about the gender outside of the starter. I try to go for female starters if I can because of potentially breeding them later on. I mean, I usually don't end up breeding them but I'd like to have the choice to be able to do so without having to go find a ditto as well. I guess the same is true for other one-off pokemon, but for whatever reason I don't care as much outside of the starters.

Otherwise I normally don't care. Except for the taillow I caught last week that I made sure was a male (I actually did refuse to catch a female) because the name I wanted to use on it was a reference to a male character, so using it on a female would have seemed...odd. But that's the exception, usually I tailor the name based on the gender I caught, not the other way around.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I used to, but not as much. Like you, I wouldn't feel right with a bulky female, but I got rid of that feeling a while back. Nothing wrong with a strong female or "feminine" male. But sometimes; it's feels wrong for the Pokemon. The only exception is my personal favorite Pokemon, Ivysaur. It's always a male... though now I'm thinking of getting a female one and seeing if it feels different.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I used to care, I thought Pokémon like Gardevoir should stay remain female, while Machamp should be male. But I realized those thoughts and definitions were wrong. No one or Pokémon should be judged by the way they look like. :)

Nowadays, gender matter to me in a strategic way was GSC/HGSS, I SR for female starters so it's gonna be easier for me to win Whitney! {XD} Secondly, breeding for obvious reasons! ^_^

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't care what gender a particular Pokemon is (I wouldn't be bothered with a Male Gardevoir or a Female Machamp) but I do have this thing were I have to one of the following team constructs:

3 Male. 3 Female
    3 Male, 2 Female, 1 Genderless
    3 Female, 2 Male, 1 Genderless

It bothers me otherwise. I like having it balanced like that. I guess I shouldn't care about it so much...

Years
  • Only Jellicent. I prefer the male version over the female. And when I also notice that my team is filled with males/females, I try to get at least one more of the other gender. Otherwise, I don't mind.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't really care what gender my Pokemon are. Unless there's a specific name I have in mind for whatever Pokemon I catch of that species. Like I really wanted to give a Dedenne a male name, but all I kept finding were females. It's cases like that where I'm bothered by that little symbol. Or if I'm trying to get the two different varieties of the species where they differ by gender, like Jellicent or Meowstic.

Usually though, I don't care.

Years
  • For the most part I'm not that bothered, unless I have a particular name in mind or associate it with something. If there's major visual differences then I make sure to catch one of each for my collection.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In the past, due to some trivial reasons, I used to lean towards Pokémon of the same gender as my character. Nowadays, however, aside from breeding purposes--I'm not much of a breeder, personally, but I still do try my hands on it every now and again out of curiosity--I don't put much thought on what gendered Pokémon I wind up getting.

Azelfino

Willpower
    Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2016
    Depends if it has a different look, I prefer male Sneasel over female and female Pikachu over male for example.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • Even if it takes some time/resets to get the right gender, I don't mind at all getting the one I'd prefer for that Pokemon :)
    I've always seen some Pokes with particular genders, or just want to give it a boy/girl name or such :P Never not cared about that, though. Most I perfer male, though.

Years
  • Yes, mainly because of nicknames I give them. There are Pokemon that, in my eyes, look like they should only be one gender and it doesn't feel right when I give a "female-looking" Pokemon a male nickname. I mean, there are some that have a couple minor different features that make them look their gender which is a nice touch.

Years
  • All my Pokemon are male unless:

1. They are feminine.
    2. I passed the game and am too lazy to catch gender specific Pokemon.

I dont know why though, I like to match gender with the appearance, and most pokemon look tough to me, hence the gender.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Well, most of the time I don't bother myself with "Oh that pokémon most be a girl/boy" and "I have a female nickname on my mind, so the pokémon must me a girl"! For the last one, I just catch the pokémon, I see the gender, and I think of a name that matches!
    Nothing against the other persons, they all have their reasons to choose the gender of the pokémon!
    I just care about that if the Pokémon has differences based on gender! For example, on my Pokémon X playthrough I caught a female Espurr because I wanted the female Meowstic 'cause I prefer the female design than the male design!

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Female. All female. Even the starter no matter how many soft resets I have to do. I think I started doing it for one game and now I have to do it for all Pokemon games I play. It's weird, I know.

Back