• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ability

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
Years
  • In every Pokemon there is a Ability or even Hidden Ability, Some Pokemon have Multiple abilities like Kyogre.Do you think it is fair that only a few Pokemon have Multiple abilities? Can you choose your Pokemon in games on the basis of their Ability? Discuss

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Abilities are very useful, and just like a lot of other things they add a bit of uniqueness to each species/Pokémon. One thing that I think would have been really cool, though, was if there was a chance for a Pokémon to have no abilities. It would make the whole thing a bit more unique and add variety.

Years
  • It is what it is, I don't find it any more fair or unfair if a pokemon happens to have more than one ability. If they do, then it gives me a little more choice in what I want to use.

...As long as they're decent abilities. :T Though to be fair, in-game I usually don't pay attention to what a pokemon's ability is. I don't battle competitively in-game, so it doesn't even matter.

Years
  • Abilities were a nice addition to the games. Some are really pointless, but a lot of them are beneficial to the Pokemon and in battles. I'm not fussy when it comes to catching a Pokemon with a specific ability, I can usually make it work with whatever they have.

Years
  • I think the addition of abilities was great, and while there are ones that are useful there are some pretty terrible ones out there as well. But that is what makes so many of them different, and I know I have been picky in regards to catching Pokemon with certain abilities because I feel it's the best way to use it.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I've never had any real issues with the abilities system to be honest. While there are some that are excessively overpowered and others that are basically useless, the very existence of the overpowered ones mean that in the future, eventually, some weaker or neglected Mons could eventually become much more powerful... like when Ninetales gained Drought... until they nerfed it. That still bothers me so much. They finally made it good... like... REALLY good... then they take it away!

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Abilities is by far the best thing out of Gen 3. They make battles so much more interesting and actually make the hunt for specific Pokémon a little bit harder which is cool too. My favorite abilites by far are Protean and Poison Heal. Both serve great purposes in battle so I enjoy them a lot. 8)
    Oh the wonders of Poison Heal. Lmao I completely let that one slip by the radar for two generations before discovering its monstrous overpoweredness. It turned Gliscor from a Pokemon I always wanted to use but just never got around to using... into something that makes most of my teams. Feels a little cheap sometimes... but it's just too much fun to pass on.

I have admittedly never used Protean, though. I've heard it's amazing, but it just feels like it might be a little too complicated for me to enjoy it. It's one of those technical abilities that at least -sounds- like it'd take the simplistic joy out of Pokemon battling. That... and I've heard it's outright OP, and I tend to avoid things that are. This is all speculation and based on what I've heard and assumed, though. I might end up loving it.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I wouldn't say having more or less Ability makes a Pokémon vulnerable or precious. Look at Delibird, who has three Abilities, namely Vital Spirit, Hustle and Insomnia as its Hidden Ability. All three of its Ability are undesirable.

While the Gastly line has only one Ability to date, Levitate (and Shadow Tag for all Mega Gengar). It doesn't make Gengar a bad Pokémon and he's even better as a Mega Gengar!

In my opinion, it really depends on the assigned Ability, rather than the amount of Abilities. :)

Edit: Then there are those Pokémon with great Ability but couldn't really make use its own Ability! For example Rough Skin was the Sharpedo line's Signature Ability, But the sea bully's relatively low Defense stat doesn't really help Sharpedo use its Ability to the fullest, while Garchomp, who later gained the same Ability as its Hidden one, excels with Rough Skin.

Back