• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Hopeless Trainer Editor

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hey all! Just letting you know that I've been slowly working on small fixes these past few months and that I'm getting ready for a new release! Changes so far include:
  • Redone text input: all missing characters from the game have been added, and extended support for different characters by specifying their hex values has been added too.
  • A simple trainer randomizer: it assigns random Pokemon to a trainer (and doesn't give illegal ones like those between Celebi and Treecko).
  • I think I've squashed all the other bugs people posted about previously
  • Trainer import/export now checks whether your game is compatible with the file -- it will know if there are inconsistencies between source and destination game (different numbers of items, Pokemon, etc.)
Expect an update in a week or so!

Years
Hey all! Just letting you know that I've been slowly working on small fixes these past few months and that I'm getting ready for a new release! Changes so far include:
  • Redone text input: all missing characters from the game have been added, and extended support for different characters by specifying their hex values has been added too.
  • A simple trainer randomizer: it assigns random Pokemon to a trainer (and doesn't give illegal ones like those between Celebi and Treecko).
  • Trainer import/export now checks whether your game is compatible with the file -- it will know if there are inconsistencies between source and destination game (different numbers of items, Pokemon, etc.)
Sounds great! Here's the thing, some editors have randomize buttons, and sometimes I accidentally click those buttons. Could you make it so it does not automatically save when you randomize? I know you're supposed to make backups, but it would just be nice.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Sounds great! Here's the thing, some editors have randomize buttons, and sometimes I accidentally click those buttons. Could you make it so it does not automatically save when you randomize? I know you're supposed to make backups, but it would just be nice.

The randomize option is part of the menu (as it randomizes every trainer at once), and it will ask you if you are sure you want to randomize before it does. So no worries!

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Question: does this tool utilize customizable INI files/otherwise support expanded move tables/pokemon?

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Question: does this tool utilize customizable INI files/otherwise support expanded move tables/pokemon?

Yes! All you need to do is change the number of items/Pokemon/whatever in the .ini and it will handle the rest, as the offsets in the .ini for the various data are all offsets of pointers to the data itself.

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Ah, excellent. By the looks of things, this tool is like A-Trainer but better because it runs off an .ini, and I really like the "mass export trainer data" feature, that will make starting over from scratch, if I ever need to, a breeze since editing trainers would be the worst part of playing catch-up (besides maybe encounter data and the movesets of my fakemon). Very nice work!

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
The randomizer feature sounds great, but the "ignore the slots between Celebi and Treecko" should have a toggle because some people use these slots to add pokemon in their hacks, and those would be off-limits to the randomizer feature.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
The randomizer feature sounds great, but the "ignore the slots between Celebi and Treecko" should have a toggle because some people use these slots to add pokemon in their hacks, and those would be off-limits to the randomizer feature.

It wouldn't be difficult to make that an optional feature, but honestly people shouldn't be using those slots in the first place. It's bad practice.

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
It wouldn't be difficult to make that an optional feature, but honestly people shouldn't be using those slots in the first place. It's bad practice.

Yeah I don't use them but some people are using them for mega evolutions and the like.

Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2018
I'm sorry if this is a simple question; this is the first hacking I've attempted. Do I have to save after changing each trainer? If I move on to the next trainer it doesn't save the progress, but once I started saving it started asking about memory.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I'm sorry if this is a simple question; this is the first hacking I've attempted. Do I have to save after changing each trainer? If I move on to the next trainer it doesn't save the progress, but once I started saving it started asking about memory.

Yes, you need to save after editing each trainer. It will bring up a dialog asking you to select a new offset if the trainer's data is larger than it originally was.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Any chance for an update to this? It's good but a lot of improvements could be made.

FSBS

Defunct
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
Excellent tool for novices such as myself, thanks! The ease of use compared to A-Trainer makes this my go-to tool now.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Any chance of the source code for this being released?

Really late reply, but yes! The computer that I programmed this on is out of commission until I can get a replacement charger for it (which should be before the end of this month), but as soon as I do I plan to release the source. Same thing with the latest update.

Excellent tool for novices such as myself, thanks! The ease of use compared to A-Trainer makes this my go-to tool now.

I'm glad you like it! :)

Back