• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PSA Rating: Is it worth it?

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2014
    Hi,

I am a new member here and just recently started collecting cards again. Like a lot of you guys I collected as a kid, but have since gotten back into it. I am mostly interested in the pre-2000 stuff, like Base, Fossil, Jungle, and Base 2. I have a complete Base set, a complete Fossil set, and need the Rare's to finish off my Jungle set. I also have about half of the black star promo cards, a couple error cards, some Prereleases, and about half the base set in Japanese. I have also purchased several booster packs which include 1st Ed Fossil (all 3 artworks), Unlimited Edition Jungle (all 3 artworks), Unlimited Base (missing Charizard), and all artworks for Unlimited Base 2. My question is about getting these PSA rated.

I see on eBay that a PSA 9 or 10 1st Ed Base Booster is up for $700-$1000, but is it worth getting mine rated? They are not 1st Ed except the Fossils, but they appear to me to be in great shape. They are 100% sealed, no cracks or fading ink, etc. As they sit, they are worth about $20-$40 per pack, what is a reasonable, realistic value if they achieve a PSA rating of say a 7 or 8? I am trying to figure out if it is worth the investment of getting them rated, or if it doesn't really affect it too much. Also, several websites I have read say to always get your Base Charizard PSA rated, even if it is Unlimited and not in Mint condition, any thoughts on this? The Charizard I have has minor edge wear and some scratches on the foil, but no stains, bends, or creases. I would think it will be about a PSA 7.

Thanks

Years
  • Well, it's worth it if the grade causes the packs to gain more in value than the shipping and grading costs for the packs.

However, I think your non first edition boosters do not currently stand to gain enough value to make it worthwhile. That's just a guess, though, without checking on eBay to see what the current rates would be for graded non first edition booster packs.

I'm not sure your non-1st edition Charizard would currently gain enough in value to make the grading of that worthwhile, though Charizard is a popular enough Pokemon that there's effectively a "Charizard premium" on any Charizard cards, so that may still be worth a shot anyway.

Back