• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Can I use popular classical music as my game's soundtrack?

Mellan

Pokémon Chion Developer
Years
I was wondering, do I break any law if I use a popular classical piece in my game?
I did a research, and I discovered that it's possible to use it as long as it's a midi or a mp3 file generated by the computer and in public domain. This means that nobody is actually playing it, therefore it should be copyright free because the copyright is applied to the specific recording, not to the music itself.

I'm asking here to be sure.
Thank you.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
As a music major, I can confirm that this is the case. Any music published before 1923 is automatically public domain; otherwise, works become public domain either 50 or 70 years after the composer's death, depending on the country you live in. Copyright applies to recordings like you said, so if you use any simulation of the piece generated by a computer, or a recording released under public domain, you can use it for anything you want without any legal issues.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Copyright-free but not credits-free. I believe the standard credit is name of the song (and part of the piece if relevant), composer, and performing orchestra/band. Don't trust me on that, though - look it up. Movie credits have a section for songs, so you can see what they do for an idea.

Benjamin Kuli

Mahagon
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2022
Copyright-free but not credits-free. I believe the standard credit is name of the song (and part of the piece if relevant), composer, and performing orchestra/band. Don't trust me on that, though - look it up. Movie credits have a section for songs, so you can see what they do for an idea.

It's almost true. The real case is that, while the songs themselves are not copyrighted (neither folk songs), BUT if it isn't your arrangement, then you actually have to contact the arranger/recorder of the specific song you want to use. Some of these arrangements are, however, actually copyrighted. If you "re-make" it (arrange it) on your own, you are able to use as long as you mention the name of the song/music.

Back