• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen When was the last time you played?

Years
  • R/B/G/Y are the oldest main series games from the franchise, nearing 20 years of age. Whoa! When was the last time you played through these games? Were you playing through just to replay and enjoy the immersive region of Kanto, for a challenge, or maybe for the first time overall?

Years
  • After my Blue game was corrupted around last year, I played through the game via emulation since I was too sentimental to delete the save game off the cartridge, even if it was corrupt. I wanted to play through because it had been a really long time... it was nice to experience it again.

It worked out in the end because I could eventually find a tool to extract my SRAM to my PC and fix the corrupted checksum. My old Venusaur was still there. <3 Though, now I have two Blue saves to juggle around.

I've been playing Pokemon Stadium, but not sure if that counts as playing RBY. I'm using that save at least. :P

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I'm actually replaying my Blue Version right now. I'm trying to beat RBY and complete the PokéDex in all of them, then I'm going to move onto Gen II, then Gen III, etc... lol. I fear what I've gotten myself into.

Anyway, I'm playing it currently. I just arrived in Celadon City in my game file, so yeah!

Years
  • I think the last time I played them was on my Yellow version, in 2009 when I was doing a no Poké Balls run - in other words, only Pokémon you can obtain. That was for another forum.

Years
  • I tried replaying my blue version....hmm, maybe 10 years ago or so? Best guess or so, or at least that's the last time I remember trying to replay it. It was more because of a nostalgia thing, I feel as though I'd been playing another pokemon game at the time so I was like "I will pull out my blue version and play that because that was fun to play!"

(Although that didn't last too long, for various reasons. But I did play it a bit! Up to past the first badge, at least.)

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
    Years
  • I believe it was around five years ago that I last played Blue. With all of these new games out, I just couldn't focus on it enough to finish it. :(

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • With emulation pretty much a thing with going old school, i'm currently replaying Blue, the very first version (and pokemon game) that I played but I'm doing a monotype run on it, which somewhat reduces the nostalgia, but I've done my nostalgia casual playthrough of Gen 1 in Yellow. Also, the reason why I downloaded a Blue Rom over read was pretty simple, Blue had better version exclusives for this generation such as Crithax Persian. Also, RB, as the international releases have all of these intriguing bugs and oddities that still has its cult following today. And yes after more than 10 years, I finally got my own missing no, and lvl160 wild pokemon encounter.

Guest123_x1

The last time I played a Generation I game was early in January, via emulator. Before I turned in my physical copies, the last time I played any of them was probably some time in 2005 (I turned all the Pokémon games I had at that time in in January 2006).
    Over the past few years, whenever I had major issues at home (particularly when my mom and I had car problems), I would occasionally play Generations I and II via emulators, to relive the memories I had playing them on my Game Boy Color in the early 2000s.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2016
    Last time I played was about a month ago. A friend of mine wanted me to show him some glitches in yellow while we were on a bus ride for a band concert.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • I wasn't going to post, then I remembered I got a copy of green a few weeks back in Japan
    So a few weeks ago

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
    Years
  • I haven't in the longest time or I just can't really remember when. I don't think that I will play through Generation 1 again, and especially not in the physical copy, since the battery will die out, which did happen to my Red version, I worked hard on it, so definitely not a possibility. Generation 2 though, MAYBE.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Last year, actually. I bought Pocket Monsters Green early in the year, so I was playing that a lot during spring semester. Then I did a random challenge on Yellow last summer that was a ton of fun.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I played Yellow a little bit last year, just because I felt like it. In that playthrough, I got up to Cerulean City before the glitches of the first generation games just got to me, and ruined my enjoyment of playing.

I played Crystal a few months before Yellow, and loved seeing Johto like that again. I've been thinking of playing through a Generation 2 game again if I ever get the time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I recently picked up an unfinished Yellow file and played a bit of it, I would say a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to play much of it, and my gameboys are at home with my parents, so I don't play the older games that often (plus, GSC are all dead and I haven't gotten around to replacing the batteries). Aside from that, my most recent playthrough was probably a challenge a year or two ago (not on the cartridge, though). As for the last time I really played through them normally, or devoted a significant chunk of time to them, I would guess probably about eight years ago.

I should really play through them again. They're great games. I've played the remakes more recently, but still, there's something about the original charm from the older games.

Years
  • Wow. It's actually been quite some time since I've played R/B/Y in its original form. I normally opt for Fire Red/Leaf Green whenever I return to the first generation (I'll play these through at least several times a year).

But the original versions? I probably haven't played those in 15 years or more. Mostly because I no longer own a functioning Game Boy. I could play through an emulator, but that never held much appeal.

Back