• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

All about genres!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • Here we will be discussing everything about genres. Which genre is your favorite to read? If you write, is it the same genre you enjoy writing about? Are there any genres you refuse to read/write about, or do you love all genres?

Discuss

Years
  • I tend to end up reading Adventure/Fantasy/Sci-Fi stuff more often than anything else because I have a preference for long stories I can spend ages reading, which tend to be these genres quite often. I'm also pretty fond of Mystery and Horror stories but not as much; if it's long and manages to draw me in and engage me I'll read most things.

I tend to dislike pure Romance stories with nothing but the romance to them, though I have nothing against romantic subplots in stories I would otherwise read.

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
    Years
  • I'm a fan of Borges and the other magical realists, and I have a huge thing for the New Weird (I would do unspeakable things in order to meet China Miéville), but I'm not picky about it; I'll read anything as long as it's well-written. I'm interested in intersections of this reality with the impossible or highly implausible (hence, I suppose, my liking for magical realism et cetera), and I guess I tend to favour fantasy and horror in general simply because they often struggle to be seen as serious vehicles for literary merit.

More specifically, I'm pretty keenly interested in literature that challenges the reader to think about the nature of constructs like language and other things that are usually taken for granted, but that's not particularly related to genre, I guess.

As for what I write in... I've always followed three contradictory rules in choosing subject matter for writing, which are to write what I know (because I know it well), to write what I don't know (because I can make up something more interesting), and to ignore all rules about choosing subject matter for writing (because ultimately they're meaningless). This has meant that my stories, however normal I expect them to be when I start writing, frequently veer off into the realms of speculative fantasy - but then again, I tend to draw in elements of science fiction and supernatural horror too. Which, I guess, leaves me somewhere near to the New Weird. It's difficult to say, because it's so hazily defined, but I think that's what I identify with. I'm not sure what exactly a critic might categorise my stuff as.

This is all mostly separate from my fanfiction, which tends to be restricted in what it can be about by the nature of the media it's derived from, and so is usually a simpler kind of science-fiction-y adventure sort of thing.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I tend to end up reading Adventure/Fantasy/Sci-Fi stuff more often than anything else because I have a preference for long stories I can spend ages reading, which tend to be these genres quite often. I'm also pretty fond of Mystery and Horror stories but not as much; if it's long and manages to draw me in and engage me I'll read most things.

I tend to dislike pure Romance stories with nothing but the romance to them, though I have nothing against romantic subplots in stories I would otherwise read.
    Very similar with the genre preferences here. The terrible part about those long stories is that they have to end. When I get done reading a really good book I get really depressed because it's over. I just wanted it to continue forever! Is that too much to ask? I just can't get into romance novels either. They just always seem so sappy, if that makes sense.

As far as my writing goes, I write pretty much what I like reading. A lot of ideas for sci-fi and fantasy novels have been popping in my head, so that's what I mostly write. However, I've always wanted to try my hand at horror. It's a genre I enjoy reading, but I want to avoid all the cliches that come along with it. Plus, it's a very tricky genre to write about. Creating that feeling of suspense from reading isn't an easy thing to do.

Back