• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Eventually I suspect we will see the return of skeumorphic design. I'm not even sure if I spelled it right, but let's just say that it's basically what happens when every virtual representation looks like its physical counterpart.

Years
  • Eventually I suspect we will see the return of skeumorphic design. I'm not even sure if I spelled it right, but let's just say that it's basically what happens when every virtual representation looks like its physical counterpart.
    It's skeuomorphic lol

I don't mind that the mobile operating systems are going flat these days, but I do wish that there was more originality between competition, instead of following trends

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    People like what they know, so if you get too original people get confused and stop liking you.

What drives design often has to do with psychology and where our world is technology-wise. Before, we needed the 3D elements to signify to use what we need to do. Our world is increasingly more virtual though and a virtual button is distinct from a physical one at this point, so it's much less necessary to make it look 3D on the screen.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Xorg's interface looks so clean, pristine, and user-oriented… if only it'd see my built-in display I could run it :P They do have a hell of a lot of amazing command line applications that could suffice until I sort that out with my Arch installation, but the problem with executing that is my Broadcom WNA seriously won't shut up telling me that "TID 1 isn't agg'able" and interrupts me in the middle of typing commands at about 5 times per second. Wrote a service for systemctl or w/e its called telling it to stfu but it won't listen, so… :l

My headset came in the mail today, with the FedEx guy literally showing up not two minutes after I woke up. My old speakers make for a really good amplifier, and the bass is great, if it weren't for my ears itching up. It's better than anything I've had before, so it's good. :D

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I seem to find myself accidentally leaving power saver turned on while using my laptop these days.

Then again, nobody notices. Maybe that's a testament to how efficient today's platforms are.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Was having all sorts of issues with my router this morning. Finally got sick of and decided to do something I meant to do months ago: update to Tomato firmware (Toastman mod in this case). Upgrade went fine (except I couldn't access the internet because it didn't carry over my MAC address spoof, which luckily I recorded before starting the upgrade), but I was locked out for an hour trying to find out why I couldn't get into the router settings. The old router login was a blank username and my custom password, turns out they just added a username and kept my password through the upgrade. So that took me a while to figure out. Once I did, cloned the old MAC address and hit save and bam, internet worked. As a bonus, the router web interface is responsive and has tons of features (QoS, ping and tracert, custom Linux scripts, logging, etc.), and I even got a nice 2 megabit boost to both up and downstream connections. This is freaking cool.

Years
  • Sometimes I wish my router's firmware could get updated by Verizon. I know, I could easily put my own firmware on it, but I'd rather not just void my ISP's terms of service, especially since it's their equipment and not mine.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I guess I must be the only person satisfied with stock firmware on routers. Not that I'd need anything more, though.

Years
  • I guess I must be the only person satisfied with stock firmware on routers. Not that I'd need anything more, though.
    I'm satisfied as well with stock firmware, but sometimes I just wish my ISP updated their firmware on mine, which hasn't been updated since I've owned the router (July 2010).

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm satisfied as well with stock firmware, but sometimes I just wish my ISP updated their firmware on mine, which hasn't been updated since I've owned the router (July 2010).

For most devices, firmware updates are stuff where if it doesn't fix anything relevant to you, don't bother.

Years
  • For most devices, firmware updates are stuff where if it doesn't fix anything relevant to you, don't bother.
    One thing that Verizon could perhaps do with a firmware update to my device is just disable WPS functionality entirely, considering the flaw that was discovered at the end of 2012 with WPS.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I'm wondering now if Lenovo purchases Motorola, would they continue to manufacture the Motorola phones with stock Android instead of heavily customizing the OS like what Samsung does.

If people read the news.. The Motorola brand will stay in major markets, though areas like China the phones will use the Lenovo brand. Motorola will function as normal as both CEO's of Motorola and Lenovo said, stock, updates, all will stay. Lenovo will help them with funding and push their phones worldwide. I do wonder which they are going to go with for India, because they are a huge market for Motorola.

I'm iffy on Android L's design. Some parts I like it, some parts I wish we stay with KitKat design, such as the music player for example. Flat design is the trend, though IOS7/8, Android L, Mordern UI are all different, with some similiarities but still noticiably different.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Unlocking bootloaders on electronic "appliances" make me shudder.

You know, something about Seagate's newer hybrid HDDs don't really make sense.

They're supposed to be OS-agnostic caching solutions that learn from usage patterns. If that's the case, why do they know when OS installation takes place and automatically puts the important OS data right in the cache without even a single read? :)

(This is why good firmware on things like storage devices = super important for anything involving flash memory.)

Years
  • Looks like I'll be needing to make a new T&I DCC soon if this double posting doesn't stop lmao..

Anyways, maybe soon with that money I've been making at my job could I go into the world of SSDs.. eventually...

Years
  • I'd install Clockworkmod and do a backup, then copy it to my computer before I install it. Unfortunately, my model of Nexus 7 is too old to be able to install the preview.
    You must have the 2012 version then, I assume.

My Nexus 7 is also still under warranty (until November), so it's not something I'm willing to risk by unlocking the bootloader at the moment. Even though I could easily lock it again, it's just something I don't have time for at the moment.

countryemo

Years
  • Yeah, I wonder if someone's working on backporting the flashable image though.
    It's a nexus, so probably. Checked XDA lately?

My Moto X will probably not get any rooty flashy love, but I might test it on my N7 '13 but I'm not itching to give it a go, especially since its so incomplete atm.

Years
  • Speaking of incomplete software updates, I've been rather satisfied with the Windows 8.1 Developer Preview on my Lumia 520.

countryemo

Years
  • Well, once Android L goes AOSP, CyanogenMod will probably start building it. And if Google doesn't push an update to the older N7, there will certainly be a CM build that I can flash.

My current CM 11 build doesn't have a working camcorder or Bluetooth yet, although work on supporting it is ongoing.

Android L went and released the source and all that today/yesterday, jeez keep up Jordan, though it was around the time of your post. Nexus 7 '12 was included so it'll probably get the update.

I hate ROMS for that reason, missing or buggy features of staples like camera or radios. ;-;

Years
  • The lack of hardware support on some ROMs is probably another reason why I stick with stock on my Nexus 7 for now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back