• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cyan [Beta 3 Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
This looks great I'm glad to see a hack with fakemon there haven't been to many lately

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
i like the ideia of the split story, if it will be two differents ways to take, make sure that will have differents events and two original stories.In my opinion you should implement it to your hack.
Thanks for your opinion. :)
This would be a great feature to add into your hack and would bolster replayability as well as the overall quality of the game itself. I'm really looking forward to this game, Chrunch, and not just because I'm the composer :p
Thanks. I probably will add a split story as it would boost the replayability, and everyone else seems to think it's a good idea.
Do split storylines. It's the reason LoG is my favorite ROM hack atm and why I will replay it many times over. Y'know, going on the "bad" side can be fun sometimes :]
Yeah, going on the bad side sometimes can be fun. :)
Nice hack graphics look great i hope to see more from you and hope to see you stick to this hack :P
Thanks. :D
This looks great I'm glad to see a hack with fakemon there haven't been to many lately
Thanks, and there always will be Fakemon in my hacks. They're a great feature to add originality instead of the same Pokemon over and over.

Updates!

This isn't the big update yet, but I just thought I'd share with everyone a little preview of some music for a route in the game, composed by the amazing Icεy. :) To hear the rest of the new music, you'll have to play the game yourself when it comes out!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
to say this apparently promising hack like me you've stuck to one style to choose tiles xD, I hope soon more updates luck and success

Years
Roblodo looks great and the tiles look great, if a little bright.
There's not much to go on right now script and story-wise, but both look decent and I trust you're good enough to make something worthwhile.

I have to say though, I'm not a fan of two options -- well, not a fan of the two options you give the player. You've given the option become a Pokémon Master or help Team Rocket as if one cant be done without the other. And if you help them, who are the antagonists? Just something for you to think about. This has potential, good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
to say this apparently promising hack like me you've stuck to one style to choose tiles xD, I hope soon more updates luck and success
Thanks! Many of the tiles I've used are zein's, and some from other people, so a lot of them are the same style.
Roblodo looks like a baws and the tiles look great, if a little bright.
There's not much to go on right now script and story-wise, but both look decent and I trust you're good enough to make something epic :D

I have to say though, I'm not a fan of two options -- well, not a fan of the two options you give the player. You've given the option become a Pokémon Master or help Team Rocket as if one cant be done without the other. And if you help them, who are the antagonists? Just something for you to think about. This has potential, good luck!
Thanks. You're given the choice to either help team rocket or the regis, each storyline will have the same ending, and after both you'll be a Pokémon Master. If you join team rocket, the antagonists are the police, your friends, and a few other people that I don't want to spoil. ;)

Updates!

I've edited the first post to include an awards sections, as I've won 3rd place in PHO's POTS (Pick of the Season). :D And I've edited the story into something a bit better, which you can read in the first post. Tell me what you think! I've also got one screenie today:

CyanPreview11.png

This is a preview of the newly re-mapped Azure Path, which is this hack's route one. :) Comment and tell me what you think! :D

Alec Empire

Are you ready to testify?
Years
The screenshots look pretty solid, and I really dig the Sudowoodo evolution. But the storyline needs a major overhaul. It's pretty bland. If you're going to stick with it, put in some twists, and loads of events.
But keep working on this, man. It definitely has potential. I would love beta testing it in the near future, even. :D

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
Wow Chrunch, this hack looks really good, I can see how it won 3rd in POTS!

The story looks interesting. Although I wish you wouldn't use team Rocket, but oh well.
CyanPreview1.png

This screenshot looks very nice. I really like that house. I hope you change the hero OW though. xD

CyanPreview3.png

That text box is gorgeous, and it's good to see that you're making good use of text colors

CyanPreview5.png

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, this one looks great too. But the corners in the pond don't look like the rest of the pond, as in the little white marks.

CyanPreview7.png
CyanPreview8.png

I really like the Sudowoodo evolution. And Starly is my favorite bird Pokemon, so I'm glad you included it.

I wish you luck on this, and I hope you release a beta/alpha soon!

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Really nice screenie, good to see progress is going goodd.
Congratulations on pick of the season :) u deserve it!
Thanks. :D
The screenshots look pretty solid, and I really dig the Sudowoodo evolution. But the storyline needs a major overhaul. It's pretty bland. If you're going to stick with it, put in some twists, and loads of events.
But keep working on this, man. It definitely has potential. I would love beta testing it in the near future, even. :D
Thanks. Don't worry, there are quite a few things in the story I haven't spoiled in this thread. ;)
Wow Chrunch, this hack looks really good, I can see how it won 3rd in POTS! Thanks! :D

The story looks interesting. Although I wish you wouldn't use team Rocket, but oh well. I was considering using another team, but I don't have any ideas and I'd need OW's and trainer sprites for them too.
CyanPreview1.png

This screenshot looks very nice. I really like that house. I hope you change the hero OW though. xD I will, when I find someone to make one for me.

CyanPreview3.png

That text box is gorgeous, and it's good to see that you're making good use of text colors Thanks, I'll be changing the colors often, it looks nicer than black all the time.

CyanPreview5.png

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, this one looks great too. But the corners in the pond don't look like the rest of the pond, as in the little white marks. That's been fixed.

CyanPreview7.png
CyanPreview8.png

I really like the Sudowoodo evolution. And Starly is my favorite bird Pokemon, so I'm glad you included it. There are a few more sinnoh Pokemon inserted I still haven't shown, but glad you like it. :)

I wish you luck on this, and I hope you release a beta/alpha soon! Thanks again. There should hopefully be an alpha soon.

Responses in bold.

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
The story you have is pretty solid. I did enjoy it, and I've often thought of the sequel to the Johto story. However, I do have a few nit-picky things to point out.
  • Team Rocket is a proper noun, as it is an organization. Therefore, it should be capitalized.
  • "Giovanni has come back and risen Team Rocket..." I think in this sentence, the verb "resurrected" would be a stronger one to use. It also leaves a more macabre picture of Team Rocket being pulled from a literal grave(-insert adorable zombie picture-)
  • Exactly what are the legendary golems doing in Celia to begin with? In Hoenn, they're sealed away(if I remember correctly) and you could only encounter them in Platinum if you had a certain kind of Regigigas with you. So, if you could provide reasoning as to what the golems are doing there, that'd be nice.
I suppose you could leave the story as is with the vague touch that it has, but the vocabulary and the delivery of the story could be better to enhance the reading experience and lure your players in to beg for more. Everyone loves a good book.
The features seem pretty standard(no complaint), and that seems to hinder its ability to stand out from other hacks. The two features I like the most are the side quests and the mini-games. However, you failed to elaborate on them. Have you ideas for the mini-games or side quests?
Another thing is the tiles--they are wonderful. I've seen them before, but they are very nice. The pond tiles you have seem bright and the houses along with the other bright colors give it a very happy feel. However, considering this is a tropical region, I'd imagine that palm trees, etc. would be included too, right? I'd love to see the tiles you have planned for that(ships, bridges, and all the other accessories).
The only suggestion I could give is up the vocabulary/storytelling a bit to really capture your audience. Not only that, but on some points, elaborate a little more(such as the features) so your fans at least have a general clue in the direction you're headed. Unless you like the vagueness of it all, then exclude the last comment. Have a lovely day. n_n

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
From what I can see, this hack seems very promising. Now to a full and thorough review:

This might not be related, but this logo is epic!

Team Rocket was once a powerful force in Kanto, until one day, a boy named Red defeated them in their base - Silph Co. and went on to defeat their leader again in his GYM.
Gym shouldn't be capitalized :p

The leader disappeared, and Team Rocket disappeared into the shadows...
Er, there's an unnecessary repetition in this statement. How about: "The leader disappeared, and Team Rocket vanished into the shadows..."?

Team Rocket was once a powerful force in Kanto, until one day, a boy named Red defeated them in their base - Silph Co. and went on to defeat their leader again in his GYM. The leader disappeared, and Team Rocket disappeared into the shadows... 3 years later, they attacked the region of Johto and took their radio tower, but again, a boy named Gold defeated them. The last of Team Rocket finally dissolved and the regions were peaceful once again... until now... Giovanni has come back and resurrected Team Rocket from the grave, and launched an attack on the region of Celia. Pokémon have been mysteriously disappearing from Celia, what's happening to them? What are team rocket doing with them?

It's your 12th birthday, meaning you're finally allowed to go on a Pokémon Journey, just like you've always wanted to! You get a Pokémon and head out to earn badges, become a Pokémon Master, and collect all the Pokémon in the Pokédex! Whilst travelling through the Celia archipelago, you stumble upon team rocket attempting to catch Regirock, one of the the legendary regis! You soon discover their plans, and it's up to you, whether to join team rocket and help them achieve their goals, or help the regis and save Celia from their plan! What will YOU choose?...

Your story is freaking epic! Team Rocket has always been my favorite Pokemon villain organization. Choosing them as the main villains of your hack was a great decision, especially since I always found a weak story-line out of such a great organization being defeated (: Just proves they aren't willing to give up.

Explore the tropical and exotic Celia archipelago!
The return of Dive and Whirlpool HMs!
Many new Fakémon!
4th and 5th Gen Pokémon!
Headbutt trees!
Sidequests
Minigames
New Music
New Story!
A tropical region! YES! Tropical based hacks/games are my all time favorite, cause I love light colored tiles, lol :p

I'm really eager to see Dive and Whirlpool implemented in your Rom! If successful, this feature will make your hack a special one! Great idea!

Many new Fakémon!
4th and 5th Gen Pokémon!
I'd really like to see some of those Fakemon. However, I don't feel it's a great idea to have a mixed Pokedex between Fakemon and Pokemon. It could get quite messy. However, if the Pokemon are simply pre and post evolutions of existing Pokemon, than it could work (:

You're chosen tiles are just amazing! I love the light colors and the tropical feeling of it all. Also, the water tiles are very well done, kudos!

I agree with DrFuji, that ledge would be better if you straightened it out.

I must say, this Sudowoodo evolution is epic! Very well done, is it your doing?

I must say, you've done a pretty damn good job with this hack! It still has a long way to go, but kudos to you sir. Wish you luck! (:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
This hack looks better than most around here so well done on that. I'm quite excited about being able to explore an archipelago and kudos for you on getting tile selection right for an archipelago. I did notice something different though:

CyanPreview2.png

You should do something different with this building as it is completely out of style with the rest of the tiles and sticks out like a sore thumb. I applaud you for changing the majority of tiles in the hack but it certainly takes a lot of effort to find tiles that all fit the same style (a la Light Platinum) but you're well on your way.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Pokémon have been mysteriously disappearing from Celia, what's happening to them? What are team rocket doing with them?

Well that sounds familar... -_-

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
I'm really liking this hack overall. The tiles flow well together and the maps are very good. I especially have to comment on those water tiles - they are glamourous! In addition, those Fakemon look wondrous, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more in-game.

However, I'm not really liking the bending ledge. It just adds an obstacle to smooth sailing in a route, but I may be the only one who thinks that.

Otherwise, this hack is of excellent quality. Great job so far!

Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2014
ill get started on to OW sprite for you :) if you need any other spritework done then i can do that too. Also this game looks epic but to make it better you should ask SphericalIce if you can use his idea of a bank.

seswoi.png
here you are, the ow sprites for the trainer

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
i like how it connects to the original storyline
Thanks, I wanted a plot that followed on with the original story, with Team Rocket in it.
The story you have is pretty solid. I did enjoy it, and I've often thought of the sequel to the Johto story. However, I do have a few nit-picky things to point out.
  • Team Rocket is a proper noun, as it is an organization. Therefore, it should be capitalized.
  • "Giovanni has come back and risen Team Rocket..." I think in this sentence, the verb "resurrected" would be a stronger one to use. It also leaves a more macabre picture of Team Rocket being pulled from a literal grave(-insert adorable zombie picture-)
  • Exactly what are the legendary golems doing in Celia to begin with? In Hoenn, they're sealed away(if I remember correctly) and you could only encounter them in Platinum if you had a certain kind of Regigigas with you. So, if you could provide reasoning as to what the golems are doing there, that'd be nice.
I suppose you could leave the story as is with the vague touch that it has, but the vocabulary and the delivery of the story could be better to enhance the reading experience and lure your players in to beg for more. Everyone loves a good book.
The features seem pretty standard(no complaint), and that seems to hinder its ability to stand out from other hacks. The two features I like the most are the side quests and the mini-games. However, you failed to elaborate on them. Have you ideas for the mini-games or side quests?
Another thing is the tiles--they are wonderful. I've seen them before, but they are very nice. The pond tiles you have seem bright and the houses along with the other bright colors give it a very happy feel. However, considering this is a tropical region, I'd imagine that palm trees, etc. would be included too, right? I'd love to see the tiles you have planned for that(ships, bridges, and all the other accessories).
The only suggestion I could give is up the vocabulary/storytelling a bit to really capture your audience. Not only that, but on some points, elaborate a little more(such as the features) so your fans at least have a general clue in the direction you're headed. Unless you like the vagueness of it all, then exclude the last comment. Have a lovely day. n_n
Thanks for all your comments! :3 I'll fix my grammar/spelling with the story (sorry about that). There will be quite a few side-quests, often throughout the game someone might ask you to do something for them, and once you do you'll get a reward. ;D As for the mini-games, there will be a few in the game, for example the mining mini-game (edited though) that's in quite a few hacks and more as I think of them. Thanks! There will definitely be more tiles added like palm trees in the future when I need them.
From what I can see, this hack seems very promising. Now to a full and thorough review:

This might not be related, but this logo is epic!
Thanks! I love it too. :3

Gym shouldn't be capitalized :p

Er, there's an unnecessary repetition in this statement. How about: "The leader disappeared, and Team Rocket vanished into the shadows..."?
Fixed those. :D

Your story is freaking epic! Team Rocket has always been my favorite Pokemon villain organization. Choosing them as the main villains of your hack was a great decision, especially since I always found a weak story-line out of such a great organization being defeated (: Just proves they aren't willing to give up.
Thanks!

A tropical region! YES! Tropical based hacks/games are my all time favorite, cause I love light colored tiles, lol :p
:3
I'm really eager to see Dive and Whirlpool implemented in your Rom! If successful, this feature will make your hack a special one! Great idea!
Yes, hopefully it will.

I'd really like to see some of those Fakemon. However, I don't feel it's a great idea to have a mixed Pokedex between Fakemon and Pokemon. It could get quite messy. However, if the Pokemon are simply pre and post evolutions of existing Pokemon, than it could work (:
No, most of them are completely different, I personally see no problem with it, Pokemon Sienna did that and it won HotY.

You're chosen tiles are just amazing! I love the light colors and the tropical feeling of it all. Also, the water tiles are very well done, kudos!
Thanks again, lol

I agree with DrFuji, that ledge would be better if you straightened it out.
I've already done that. :P

I must say, this Sudowoodo evolution is epic! Very well done, is it your doing?
Thanks

I must say, you've done a pretty damn good job with this hack! It still has a long way to go, but kudos to you sir. Wish you luck! (:
comments bold. ;)
This hack looks better than most around here so well done on that. I'm quite excited about being able to explore an archipelago and kudos for you on getting tile selection right for an archipelago. I did notice something different though:

CyanPreview2.png

You should do something different with this building as it is completely out of style with the rest of the tiles and sticks out like a sore thumb. I applaud you for changing the majority of tiles in the hack but it certainly takes a lot of effort to find tiles that all fit the same style (a la Light Platinum) but you're well on your way.

Thanks for your comments, glad you like my hack! I am aware of that, I just haven't managed to find any suitable replacements for it. :(

DAAAAAMN! This is one awesome game! Keep this up!
Thanks for your support! :D I definitely will.
I'm really liking this hack overall. The tiles flow well together and the maps are very good. I especially have to comment on those water tiles - they are glamourous! In addition, those Fakemon look wondrous, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more in-game.

However, I'm not really liking the bending ledge. It just adds an obstacle to smooth sailing in a route, but I may be the only one who thinks that.

Otherwise, this hack is of excellent quality. Great job so far!
Already done that, but thanks anyways!
ill get started on to OW sprite for you :) if you need any other spritework done then i can do that too. Also this game looks epic but to make it better you should ask SphericalIce if you can use his idea of a bank.

seswoi.png
here you are, the ow sprites for the trainer
I appreciate you trying to help me, but OW sprites are not a priority at the moment, and those are just recolored FR OWs anyways. D: Spherical Ice didn't come up with that idea, and I don't really want to bug him, or use that idea anyways. Thanks!

Updates!

Sorry for not posting recently, but I've made some good progress recently. First of all, the thread has recently been updated with a new logo and some better CSS, If you haven't seen it already check it out. I've also remapped a few places and I'll be updating the first post with those new screenshots soon. I've also made quite a bit of progress with scripting, and I have a few new fakemon. :D

drWPH.png

51sMh.png

Preview of the remapped first town. *Ignore the girl to the left on those trees.

IUxRu.png

53HO2.png

Some new fakemon for Cyan (fire/bug line) Keep in mind that the first one is still a WIP.

GoWqS.png

Platinum intro colors yay! :D

SdcgD.png

1O07b.png

ywBc1.png

IiXYs.png

6ckLH.png

hhIk3.png

5D5JH.png

Just a few previews of some of the scripting I've done (yes, those are the starters).

URQG1.png

uDHzK.png

f89jk.png

Introducing turquiose town, the second town in the Celia region! :3

And that's all for now. I've made quite a bit of progress in the past few weeks, so there could maybe even be a release in a few weeks! ;D

Years
Great update, chrunch :) I love that you used the HGSS sprites for the starters, as they really are the best sprites for those Pokemon in particular. I love the Johto starters, so nice choice :P
As I've already said, I really like the Fakemon, too. There's pretty much nothing wrong with them that I can see, anyway, so that has to be a good sign. Looking forward to seeing more on that front :D

One small thing regarding the last few screens- I really like your tileset choices for this game, but one small thing that irks me a bit is the darkness of the outline of the Pokemart and PokeCenter. It seems to be a little bit too... dark, lol. I reckon it'd blend a bit more nicely with everything else if it were more a very dark shade of gray than pure black; up to you, of course.

Again, awesome update, everything looks totally sweet. Can't wait to see more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back