• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Toughest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Most difficult Hoenn Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Brawly

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Wattson

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Flannery

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Norman

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Winona

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Liza & Tate

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Wallace

Votes: 11 13.3%

• Total voters

blue

gucci
Years
  • _vs__sprite__hoenn_leaders_by_polloron-d7t9l1o.png

Which Gym Leader (if any) in Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire gave you the most difficult time and why?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'll be honest, unlike the original RSE, none of the Gym Leaders in ORAS gave me much trouble. If this were RSE, I'd probably have gone with Norman... or possible Liza and Tate. But in ORAS, it has to be Wallace since he's the only Gym Leader that actually managed to KO one of my Pokémon. Got to love that huge decrease in difficulty!

Years
  • In my current run of Alpha Sapphire, the first four weren't really a concern at all, but when I got to Norman things got very long-winded - I had to alternate between my Gloom and Tentacool at first and put him to sleep, and manage to get in two layers of Toxic Spikes for his other two. But once it got rolling, it was fun.

Winona, on the other hand, was awful. Once I came to her Altaria, she got to +6 Defense with Cotton Guard, and my Azumarill ran out of Play Roughs. But I lowered her Attack with one of them, and after both Azumarill and Loudred were finished, I went over to my Tentacruel, who lowered her Special Defense to -4 with Acid Spray, and then scored a critical hit and beat her from 2/3 or so. I thought it was over but I managed to win. :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2015
    None of them were very difficult, I remember Norman and Winona being tough in the old games

Years
  • Gosh, I remember I was playing Emerald and Liza and Tate were laughing at me as they demolished me over and over.
    In OR I didn't have too much trouble with any of them, though I'll throw my vote to Flannery because it took me a loooong time to beat down her torkoal.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • Probably Tate and Liza... Am I really the only one that noticed that they got buffed up by three levels? They destroyed me on my first go.

Years
  • I didn't really struggle with anyone this time around. Brawly was solo'd by a Beautifly I had as a temporary team member and then my at-the-time Marshtomp took down both Wattson and Flannery.

I guess the only one who gave me the closest to a challenge was Norman, but then again he didn't even use the dreaded Retaliate against me. I think my lack of challenge was all to blame on me using the Exp. Share.

Years
  • Norman was the only one that really gave me trouble, being the only Gym Leader to knock out most of my Pokemon (yaaaay Retaliate). Also had a bit of a hard time with Wallace, but that was more because of my own overconfidence than anything else.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I had a bit of a struggle with Flannery since I didn't have any Water, Rock or Ground type moves with me at the moment. Ended up evolving my Skitty (since she has Mud Bomb) earlier than planned just to beat her.

Norman though... I had access to Dig... and Sing... and that was it. First try, beaten.

Flannery is the only one who needs 2 tries in order to win. The others just needed 1. RSE leaders are harder imo.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    I'd say Wallace was the only gym leader that gave me a little bit of trouble. However, I felt like the Elite 4 is a quite stronger than before, especially in the rematches

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Wattson gave me a really hard time, because fighting his Magnemite/Magneton with a team full of Grass, Psychic, Fairy, Electric and Steel types and without moves that hit them at least neutrally, took forever. Also being slightly underleveled didn't help either.

Tate and Liza on the other hand felt like they were downgraded quite a bit.

Years
  • I couldn't OHKO Norman's Pokémon so he managed to hit me with Retaliate two times.
    I'd say Norman's the toughest.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2015
    In RSE Norman, Winona and Tate & Liza were pretty hard, taking into account that I was 5-10 levels below the leaders' pokemon. Slaking, Altaria and Lunatone-Solrock were quite difficult to beat... but not now. Slaking didn't even attack me, Altaria fainted with an Ice Fang, and Surf made me get the Mind Badge in record time.

If I had to choose one, it would be Wattson. I think it's the most difficult one if you didn't choose Mudkip

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Honestly, Tate and Liza were the hardest for me

Although I just spammed Snarl and Surf and made 'em heal their Pokémon simultaneously, then just repeated the process

Norman was a cakewalk

"Oh, you have a Slaking? Enjoy my Intimidate Mightyena and Jolly Hariyama curbstomping you"

Mon Amie and Super Training broke the game; heck, I even walloped the Elite Four in one go on BOTH battles (Pre and Post Delta Episode) and I was barely the same level as Steven mid fifties for the initial battle and low seventies for the rematch)

Guest123123

I didn't really have difficulty with any of them. Norman's Slaking did a lot of damage on the first hit, but afterwards I defeated his entire team with Calm Mind boosted Moonblast.

Nakala Pri

I had to reset the games like 100 billion times thanks to Norman! >:( His frickin' Slakings, man! Luckily my Discharge paralyzed him but yeah, he's so annoying! Everyone else was easy. I remember Brawly being super-duper old and powerful! =D Now he's a hot push-over. <3 (what the hell STOP USING BOTOX!!)

Easiest was Flannery 'cause I had a Camerupt with Earth Power. >:^)

Years
  • None of them gave me issues whatsoever. I found the original R/S/E to be about just as easy as in OR/AS bar Norman in R/S so the difficulty didn't bother me, but I don't play Pokemon for the difficulty either way.

Slaking might've done some damage if I didn't OHKO it lmao. :[

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Only ones that gave me issues (where I had to battle them more than once, was Liza and Tate. Didn't have the advantage of beating Lunatone, but Solrock was pretty easy thanks to my Linoone being a surfer. In the originals, Norman gave me the most trouble. But I was surprised that I was able to beat him in one try compared to 10 times.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The closest one to being difficult was Norman's battle. His slaking and vigoroth are pretty annoying, especially when slaking makes good use of it's turn to use some OHKO move.

Easiest had to be Tate & Liza. Seriously, only 2 pokemon?

Back