• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

{°'_'°} Do you believe there is alien life? {°'_'°}

Melody

Banned
Years
  • Probability. Or to be exact: everybody can say that something like aliens could potentially exist, but that doesn't make it absolute. It's kind of like the whole debate on whether there's a god, or not. There's no evidence, so people just believe whatever they want. So, considering how everybody seems to agree that aliens might exist, I'll just take the opposite position, because I can.

Now, if real proof was to be found of actual intelligent alien live, I'll gladly change my mind. After all, real proof tends to be decisive.

Well, if we take a few facts we know to be true into account:
    1) We as humans, actual intelligent lifeforms, do exist in this universe.
    2) We have actually found bacterial life forms inside comets.
    3) We evolved from bacterial lifeforms.

It stands to reason that if another planet like earth has existed as long as our planet earth has that intelligent life has sprung up on it. If that planet has existed for far longer; there's still only a slight chance that we will be able to contact them. The laws of physics are a harsh mistress and we haven't yet learned enough about our universe to handily defy them to let other (more advanced) intelligent races we even exist.

Years
  • Well, if we take a few facts we know to be true into account:
    1) We as humans, actual intelligent lifeforms, do exist in this universe.
    2) We have actually found bacterial life forms inside comets.
    3) We evolved from bacterial lifeforms.

It stands to reason that if another planet like earth has existed as long as our planet earth has that intelligent life has sprung up on it. If that planet has existed for far longer; there's still only a slight chance that we will be able to contact them. The laws of physics are a harsh mistress and we haven't yet learned enough about our universe to handily defy them to let other (more advanced) intelligent races we even exist.

I don't think we've found bacterial lifeforms on comets unless we put them there. Otherwise this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Rather we know microscopic lifeforms have the capacity to survive space.

Years
  • NASA's Hubble telescope always do wonders xD. Europa one of Jupiter's moon has water inside it's icy surface. I've read about this just past couple of days ago c: I even read things like that ocean is estimated to be 100 km below Jupiter icy surface. As one of scientists state it'll not be a life finding mission. The main thing they may be concentrating will be àcquiring sample of water to find if water is salty or it got in contact with mineral rich seafloor or not. I was thinking of watching space time new episode about this but got no time xD.

Years
  • Europa's been considered one of the most likely places in our solar system, if not the most likely, (besides of Earth of course lol) for a few years now I'm pretty sure.

It makes sense because of all the water below it's ice crust. Personally I don't know if looking so hard at watery worlds is really the way to go. It seems narrow-minded to assume that just because life on Earth needs water life elsewhere relies on it also.

Back