• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you want in CBC?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Being popular shouldn't really be of an issue (and in actuality it's being used opposite, those who are regulars haven't really received great rates lately), and a user could have a bad quality RMT which is messy and stuff, but the team itself is actually good. Other sections have had ratings removed, which rely upon user content, rather than discussion threads. Saying they'll be used more appropriately isn't really a thing because while it's all good to say, it doesn't mean people will necessarily use them, and with the amount of troll-y/spammy threads around here lately... thread ratings really isn't beneficial.

Well instead of getting rid of ratings entirely why not find a way to improve how they're used? Perhaps only allow moderators to assign ratings which could be decided solely by them, or in accompaniment with say a monthly poll? It's only a really rough idea, though, and I'm not entirely sure how threads would be judged - probably on their quality and content.

Anti

return of the king
Years
Thread ratings are a tool, much like Luvdisc on Smogon, to express that you find a thread exemplary. While I normally feel like Smogon elements (think badges etc.) don't apply well to PC/CBC at all, I feel like a simple "thumbs up only" system like the Luvdisc one would be superior. Unless I don't understand how Luvdisc work, lol.

In any event, I think this is mostly a non-issue. I don't see it mattering much--if at all--in the grand scheme of things.

Lila.

Banned
Years
I'm not really sure if this has been brought up, but I'd really like to say it. I'm not really sure if I like the structure of this forum. I think that this forum should be split up into different sub sections. Meaning that rate my team threads can go into one place while discussion threads about different aspects of the game can have its own section as well. Wifi / PO tournaments should probably have their own section as well as clans. I just think that changing the forum structure to make it more organized will have a positive impact on it.

Rather then having everything jumbled up into one large section, why not split them up? I think that this would be good to do as it would be easier for a moderator do their job as well. I could be wrong on this, but wouldn't it be easier for a moderator to focus on one type of thread as opposed to a very unorganized and large forum? From my viewpoint it just seems easier and would make the forum run much more efficiently. Like what has been mentioned in this thread, I would love to see more discussion threads about new metagames and different types of sets, playstyles, etc. I think offering more discussion and way to get involved in the forum could really have a positive impact.^-^

Years
Lilas suggestion isnt too bad actually, the one question is if it makes sense in that it will make the forum look more inactive than it already is, although I do think its a really good idea to help organize the forum. Maybe not clans though since we killed those and probably wont have them again for some time.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
I honestly disagree with the notion that this forum needs to be split into subsections, it's a good idea but our current level of activity doesn't warrant the need for it. If you look at the first page of threads, there's 3 discussion threads and the rest are RMT's, it's not messy in the least.

If activity increases I can see the merit in this but at the moment there's no point tbh =/

Lila.

Banned
Years
It's still pretty messy as it is though. I can see your point, I do think we need to get the activity up. What about doing something to actually attract some of the members back into the forum? Maybe a community team builder or some tournaments with incentives could help? I guess once we get the activity up then organizing the forum could be a better move that way. I just think that there needs to be a way to get members involved. Some incentives (I'm not sure exactly what) could be a good place to start, I suppose. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Then again, I think that the problem roots itself in the amount of people that actually take interest in competitive pokemon as a whole. I don't think that what anyone doing in the forum is wrong; however the large disdain for playing the game competitively causes the inactivity. I'm not exactly sure on what anyone could do to interest more casual players into a different aspect of the game when such a small portion of the community plays the game competitively...

Last edited:

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
It's still pretty messy as it is though. I can see your point, I do think we need to get the activity up. What about doing something to actually attract some of the members back into the forum? Maybe a community team builder or some tournaments with incentives could help? I guess once we get the activity up then organizing the forum could be a better move that way. I just think that there needs to be a way to get members involved. Some incentives (I'm not sure exactly what) could be a good place to start, I suppose. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Then again, I think that the problem roots itself in the amount of people that actually take interest in competitive pokemon as a whole. I don't think that what anyone doing in the forum is wrong; however the large disdain for playing the game competitively causes the inactivity. I'm not exactly sure on what anyone could do to interest more casual players into a different aspect of the game when such a small portion of the community plays the game competitively...
For the time being I think it's fine as it is, it's not exactly neat but it not really messy either.

CBC has tried some of that, community nights, tournaments, building a PC metagame, emblems and whatnot and it hasn't helped. With the recent PC metagame that the forum wanted to create, everyone said they pitch in yet only two people ended up doing it so I doubt community team builders would work tbh. Even when the forum was more active tournaments were always a problem. Time-zones and laziness basically.

The community here has waning since Platinum dropped iirc, that's when I joined and activity was still reasonable. The pessimistic side of me has to say this is the lowest activity rate I've seen in my time here. Honestly it's no one's fault, B/W OU just sucks compared to DPPt.

Lila.

Banned
Years
Hmm, well you'll have to excuse me for my ignorance of events that I have happened in the past as I am quite new to this forum. I agree with you that the forum structure should probably stay the same for the time being, although I would like to see it reorganized to an extent if activity ever increases again. I don't really think that the amount of people that visit the forum correlates with the decreasing quality of the game... If the forum were told hold a dpp tournament, I don't think that the results would be much different from a bw one.

Personally, I think that we have to find a way to get people back into the forum and then hold active tournaments, community team builders etc. Unfortunately, it isn't exactly the easiest thing to try and get older members to try and come back... Does there happen to be more activity in the wifi section of the forum? If so, then maybe it would be easier to get the two communities running together instead of having the PO sections and wifi sections running separately. If we can get more people into the forum, then you can run stuff like dpp tournaments, leagues etc etc, but until then, setting up a random tourney and hoping for the best won't help.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I was just thinking about this today actually! x) I agree that the forum is quite messy at the moment and could use some organization. I think we worry too much about having an active main forum (main forum being CBC, excluding the sub-forums), and that's why we group multiple types of threads in CBC. However, I don't think an active main forum is necessary, or is more important than organization. Take Trade Corner for an example, it looks a great deal cleaner compared to CBC, despite the fact that their main forum isn't very active. The Trade Shops sub-forum still manages to garner activity even though it isn't part of the main forum. For the past few months, Anti and I have been discussing what should be focused on; what should be in the main forum (given the limelight). (We believed it was either discussion & RMTs (current format) or discussion & events.) Instead of putting the attention on one (or two) things, we should be concentrating on CBC as a whole (which is obvious of course). With that said, I don't think we should worry about the main forum being small or inactive. CBC's current state of inactivity shouldn't be used an excuse not to do this either. We won't get anything done if we just wait until activity picks up. We should be working on organizing CBC and figuring out what CBC should be ("What do we want in CBC?") before trying to make it active. It's like trying a make incomplete forum active without finishing the forum itself.

I think that this forum should be split up into different sub sections. Meaning that rate my team threads can go into one place while discussion threads about different aspects of the game can have its own section as well. Wifi / PO tournaments should probably have their own section as well as clans. I just think that changing the forum structure to make it more organized will have a positive impact on it.
I think what we need to do is simply make a Competitive Team Help sub-forum and direct all the competitive RMTs into that forum. By doing that, the forum would be much more cleaner, and would only include discussion, battle logs, and battling guides. The last two are rarely seen, so it would be mainly discussion.

T&E is also quite messy, with tournaments, leagues, clans, and whatnot being grouped together. I don't think sub-forums are required for it though; instead, requiring moderator approval before posting could return as a rule. We have a lot of unnecessary leagues that are practically the same, and mod approval would filter out some of those and direct the poster's efforts to already existing leagues.

Here's a rough draft of what the forum would look like:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lila.

Banned
Years
That looks really awesome. That format is definitely much better than the current one. Since clans are rarely seen around here, I suppose that setting it to moderator approval only wouldn't be a big deal (otherwise you would be creating a very inactive forum so I agree with pairing the two up together). In the 'Competitive Team Help' forum, does 'Competitive Team Questions' mean like the rate my team threads? If that is the case, I think the forum should be renamed to "Competitive Rate My Team." As for that forum, the rmt archive and the rules (I'm sure) would be stickies correct?

As for the 'Battle Log Archive' I think that this thread should be a sticky; however it can be a place where members can post their aeosoft logs as well as comment on other player's logs etc. I don't think that we really need a 'Battle Log Archive' per say, but a place where users can share their matches with the rest of the forum (for any tier, type of play) would be an interesting idea I think.

Overall, I really like the new ideas for the setup! I think that it's a big step for the forum ^_^

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
"Competitive Team Questions" will be the equivalent of the Simple Q&A Thread we have right now. Basically, the competitive version of this thread. The thread would include moveset requests and incomplete teams mostly. The actual forum would contain RMTs. And yeah, all of the threads listed will be stickied.

I forgot about battle videos/replays! I agree that we should have a thread for posting battle replays (we had one before but it never really set off), and could have an archive/list of links to notable battle logs and replays in the first post. Actual battle logs would still be posted in the forum though, because it would get a bit cluttered otherwise.

Lila.

Banned
Years
Oh ok. I suppose I misunderstood you. I honestly think that's a really good idea though. Although it will probably not be the thing to "step up" the activity in the forum, it's not really meant for that. I think that better organization is really a good thing to have, for both moderators and members ^_^

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I really like this layout, especially keeping quick battle thread in the main section so it's easier to find, etc. gj on it, wolf!

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
RMT Archive is definitely a good idea, it lets new users see what a good RMT looks like and I suppose people who have difficulty building a team can see how a good team is built and base their team on an already made team until they can confidently build a original team they are happy with.

You could start off by picking a few RMT's where the teams had good records (eg. Won a tournament, laddering team that peaked high) then gradually allow people to nominate more RMT's to add. Perhaps first pick a team from each tier (NU, RU, UU and OU) then work from there?

Just my thoughts.

droomph

weeb
Years
Sorry for coming from the beginning all the way again, but...

The main problem here is that it's not interesting.

I mean, Pokémon General, I know it's interesting, so I'll go check. Why? Because a couple threads captured my eyes in the "New Posts" feed, and the "Newest Post" sidebar. Personally, the main reason I haven't been messing around in the CBC is because 90% the thread titles are like "plz help me w/ my team!" Which isn't a bad thing in itself, but it just is naturally a boring thing to see.

So my best suggestion would be to have more "discussion" type threads to counter-balance the "rate my team" threads.

This coming from a guy who scanned the whole forum just a couple seconds ago...to tell you the truth, I have no idea what's going on, unlike some of the other forums that I've scanned just the same (e.g. Trading). When I scanned this forum, there were threads to "rate my team plz!" in the main forum, while a sub-forum specifically said "In-Game team help". While as an example, I could tell immediately that the trade shops (which I didn't know what they were called) were in a sub-forum, and the discussions were in the main forum.

I know that this may be harder for you because you have two sub-forums to deal with, but that's just how I see it. Boring threads, and organization (or the lack of it). You know that usually people's first step into CBC's servers and chat and whatnot is through the CBC forums. So hook them in - that's what I think you need, a hook.

Years
Yes RMT archive would be cool, I know anti is vehemently opposed to this but I mean its cool to look at the good teams of the past since it gives us a piece of the forum and metagame's hitory.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I kinda dig the all-subforums format except discussions in main...hopefully I am understanding it correctly. One of my big issues with the "switcheroo" was its grouping of discussion and T&E stuff which for me made no sense at all and I think this solves that problem pretty well. I think it solves the "oh i forgot the subforum [t&e] existed, oopsies" thing that at least for me has been an issue, hehe.

I think thread approval in T&E only would be a good idea just because of the nature of the forum and how "bad threads" there tend to last awhile while bad RMTs, discussions, etc. will just die fairly quickly.

For whatever it's worth, I've never liked the RMT Archive for PC though "vehemently opposed" is definitely an overstatement at this point. I think the only thing that really really govern policy (aka what we do) is whether or not people want to do it, are excited about it, etc. And if RMT Archive is a popular idea, I don't see why not. (I would drop the idea that we'd be chronicling the meta here though. Has a rain stall team even been posted here, for example? I think a pure showcase would be preferable if we do it.)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
To summarize the changes:

Spoiler:

If no one is against this, I will go ahead and ask higher staff to make the sub-forum in a while.

The main problem here is that it's not interesting.

<snip>
The new format would fix that actually. At the moment, the main forum has discussion and RMTs as the main types of threads (as well as battle logs and guides, but those aren't common). A sub-forum will be made for RMTs, making way for discussion. Discussion has always been the most important part of CBC (and really any forum), but this will put more attention towards it. We have quite a bit of discussion threads currently, but all the RMTs make them hard to find.

I kinda dig the all-subforums format except discussions in main...hopefully I am understanding it correctly. One of my big issues with the "switcheroo" was its grouping of discussion and T&E stuff which for me made no sense at all and I think this solves that problem pretty well. I think it solves the "oh i forgot the subforum [t&e] existed, oopsies" thing that at least for me has been an issue, hehe.

I think thread approval in T&E only would be a good idea just because of the nature of the forum and how "bad threads" there tend to last awhile while bad RMTs, discussions, etc. will just die fairly quickly.

For whatever it's worth, I've never liked the RMT Archive for PC though "vehemently opposed" is definitely an overstatement at this point. I think the only thing that really really govern policy (aka what we do) is whether or not people want to do it, are excited about it, etc. And if RMT Archive is a popular idea, I don't see why not. (I would drop the idea that we'd be chronicling the meta here though. Has a rain stall team even been posted here, for example? I think a pure showcase would be preferable if we do it.)
It also fixes the issue with post count and the switcheroo. Allowing both discussion and events in the main forum would mean cutting off post count in discussion as well.

I think thread approval would improve activity in T&E actually. By stopping users from making unnecessary leagues, I can tell them to devote their activity to already existing leagues. If they were allowed to make their own run-of-the-mill league, their league would eventually die because of activity and the owner would probably give up and leave with it.

I just included RMT Archive in my post because battle logs were getting one; I didn't really think about it much. I'm not really sure whether it would be a good idea to have one. One thing though: instead of a RMT Archive, we could have more like a "Team Archive" and people post teams they have for specific tiers (I remember Vrai mentioning that to me?). Then, new battlers can use those teams for starting out in competitive battling, or just tiers they haven't played in.

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
<stuff>

If no one is against this, I will go ahead and ask higher staff to make the sub-forum in a while.
I've been meaning to get into CBC *someday* myself, so this will be great for newbies like me.
The new format would fix that actually. At the moment, the main forum has discussion and RMTs as the main types of threads (as well as battle logs and guides, but those aren't common). A sub-forum will be made for RMTs, making way for discussion. Discussion has always been the most important part of CBC (and really any forum), but this will put more attention towards it. We have quite a bit of discussion threads currently, but all the RMTs make them hard to find.
Also, I was thinking, you could probably add a [Discussion] thread prefix if it's too much work for you :)

Back