• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Aftermath (Very early Alpha available)

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    UPDATE: I've fixed the texture issues mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Thank you for the feedback!

Hello everybody!

I'm here today to present to you my in-alpha (Early alpha) ROM hack for Pokémon FireRed! This mod focuses on community features, so read below if you're interested.

STORY:
    The game takes place on an alternate timeline right before the start of Gen I, where a fierce and destructive war has almost completely re-structured and obliterated Kanto. As the currently-child parents of the original games protagonists, it's your job to set out into this unknown world and explore. Over time different stories will be added to all come together in a complete whole.

CURRENT FEATURES:
    • It's own custom launcher, allowing automatic patching, and news updates! No more pesky searching for updates!
    • A new form of Kanto, destroyed by a fierce war (in-progress)
    • Almost all scripts and events re-built from the ground up

PLANNED FEATURES:
    • Further expansion of the world
    • New Pokémon to obtain and battle
    • Multiple interesting Story Arcs
    • Many, many bugfixes

SCREENSHOTS:
    Spoiler:

As stated before, this hack actually has it's own special launcher, because I really want to enforce a sense of community. I've created my own forums and social features on my site, and I want to get as much feedback as possible as well as a nice little group of people who play! As it's a separate package, I'll leave a link for the installer. Thank you everyone, and have a good day!

LINKS:
    REDACTED

Thanks everybody, and have a good day!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    This sounds super frickin awesome! I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one.

Thanks man! If you want to check the little progress I've done so far (really early alpha, be warned) you can check it out and give me some thoughts! I still have a ton of work to do but the infrastructure and some basic things are there, and I would love to get a community going!

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Thanks man! If you want to check the little progress I've done so far (really early alpha, be warned) you can check it out and give me some thoughts! I still have a ton of work to do but the infrastructure and some basic things are there, and I would love to get a community going!

Oh I'll definitely check it out!

I noticed that the download was an .exe file. Will the .exe run an application that will patch the FR ROM, or will it just play the game. I'm only asking because my computers being really slow right now, so I can't find out myself.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Well, the idea of playing through a reworked Kanto is nice, but so far I'm not exactly thrilled by what I see. I can see tile errors in every screenshot, not to mention your mapping looks rather bland. The worst example is in this screen:
    Pokémon Aftermath (Very early Alpha available)

Pathways should always have borders that allow them to transition to the connected tiles.

On top of that, the way you're distributing the hack leaves a lot to be desired. I know I probably speak for a number of members when I say that I don't wanna download some program as sort of middleman to play a hack. It would be much better if you just distributed a patch file.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    Oh I'll definitely check it out!

I noticed that the download was an .exe file. Will the .exe run an application that will patch the FR ROM, or will it just play the game. I'm only asking because my computers being really slow right now, so I can't find out myself.

It will distribute a patch and run the game as long as you have a ROM.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    Well, the idea of playing through a reworked Kanto is nice, but so far I'm not exactly thrilled by what I see. I can see tile errors in every screenshot, not to mention your mapping looks rather bland. The worst example is in this screen:
    Pokémon Aftermath (Very early Alpha available)

Pathways should always have borders that allow them to transition to the connected tiles.

On top of that, the way you're distributing the hack leaves a lot to be desired. I know I probably speak for a number of members when I say that I don't wanna download some program as sort of middleman to play a hack. It would be much better if you just distributed a patch file.

Tile mapping is something I'm going to re-work later, as stated it's very early alpha. Also, manual patching completely ruins the purpose of this mod in the long run, it's difficult to see now but later it will be more clear.

CaptainK

Goomy Tamer
    Years
  • Great idea! I've been looking for a ROM based in the aftermath of gen 1, I hope to see you stick with this and finish the ROM!:)

I'll definitely be checking the alpha out and giving my feedback.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    Great idea! I've been looking for a ROM based in the aftermath of gen 1, I hope to see you stick with this and finish the ROM!:)

I'll definitely be checking the alpha out and giving my feedback.

Thank you! Be prepared for some rough edges, however I would very much like feedback so I can properly improve it and see it become something great!

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2016
    I think the idea of this hack has a lot of potential! I kinda liked the difference with te normal games!

Btw if you exit the PC or the Pokemart in Genesis Outpost, you will spawn in the middle of the town!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    As stated before, this hack actually has it's own special launcher, because I really want to enforce a sense of community. I've created my own forums and social features on my site, and I want to get as much feedback as possible as well as a nice little group of people who play! As it's a separate package, I'll leave a link for the installer. Thank you everyone, and have a good day!

I'd understand this if your game was well in to production and working to a high standard, but I can't help but feel you're focusing more on the meta side of things here. The thing that needs your attention is not an alpha or a launcher - its the actual hack itself. As Lost Heart pointed out, the mapping leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd also like to know a bit more about your story - you've got the setting described, you don't have to go spoiling anything but just hint at what we can expect :).

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    I'd understand this if your game was well in to production and working to a high standard, but I can't help but feel you're focusing more on the meta side of things here. The thing that needs your attention is not an alpha or a launcher - its the actual hack itself. As Lost Heart pointed out, the mapping leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd also like to know a bit more about your story - you've got the setting described, you don't have to go spoiling anything but just hint at what we can expect :).
    I realize that, and as I said before, I plan on going back to it. I wanted the infrastructure down so I didn't have to worry about it anymore. My next step is fixing all the tilemap issues and bugs before moving forward any more.

In regards to the story, as I said before, slowly more and more arcs are going to be added in. Right now a vague seed for a plot has been placed via an important item, and that's definitely going to be expanded upon in the future. Giovanni is going to be making an appearance as the center villain in most of these arcs, however his story and reasoning are... A little different :p Anyway, thank you for your feedback and I'll keep working to create a better experience!

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    I think the idea of this hack has a lot of potential! I kinda liked the difference with te normal games!

Btw if you exit the PC or the Pokemart in Genesis Outpost, you will spawn in the middle of the town!
    Whoa, that's one hell of a bug. Thank you for informing me, I'll look into that right away. If you want, you can register and dump a more detailed bit of feedback on the forums, it's always appreciated! Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    Hey everyone, for the people talking about the texture problems, I've updated them in a patch and it looks much better, and I've changed the screenshots to reflect that. Thank you!

CaptainK

Goomy Tamer
    Years
  • So I downloaded the ROM and played what you've made thus far, and it seems like it has potential.

I was also wondering, why did you decide to make the starters start out such high level? I'm not sure if I'm a fan of it...

I've also found a few issues I'd like to adress:
    Spoiler:

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
  • Idea is great but you have mapping problems. I hope you wil solve all of them as soon as you can. Good luck man. Seriously.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    So I downloaded the ROM and played what you've made thus far, and it seems like it has potential.

I was also wondering, why did you decide to make the starters start out such high level? I'm not sure if I'm a fan of it...

I've also found a few issues I'd like to adress:
    Spoiler:
    I've fixed all those issues other than the CUT one, which is a good idea, I will. As for the starters, it's hard to explain but the game world is going to be broken up into two parts; a safe, military run side (which is what's there right now) and a wild, much more difficult side, with a way higher challenge level. Thank you for your feedback!

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    Idea is great but you have mapping problems. I hope you wil solve all of them as soon as you can. Good luck man. Seriously.

Which mapping problems? If you could point them out that would super helpful. If you're referring to the older problems in the original build, those have been fixed. If you spotted something, do tell me!

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
  • Which mapping problems? If you could point them out that would super helpful. If you're referring to the older problems in the original build, those have been fixed. If you spotted something, do tell me!

Lol, calm down. I meant older problems.

Back