• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Iron Giant - GoLurk Team Go!

RodeoJones

True Blue.
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    I figured since my experience in online battling is pretty minuscule (played competitively for about a month during Soul Silver's early release), I needed to come to the experts to help with my Fifth Generation team. Beat the story mode and am now ready to breed, EV and level (it takes SO long, it sucks). I don't really like using online simulators, but I know they're the ultimate for testing teams out.

I've taken a liking to Golurk, even though I know he's got a lot of weaknesses. That's why, with your help, I want to make a team that will support Golurk enough that he's not just a pile of nuts and bolts. Here's what I'm working with...

Spr_5b_248.png

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 220 SpD
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Aqua Tail

Went with jkriall's suggestion to lead with the TTar. Solid lead of course, but was kind of hoping to go a different route. Seems like everrryoonne leads with the guy. Anyway, STAB with Edge and Crunch...everyone knows the power of TTar. Chose Aqua Tail over Earthquake for opposing Gliscor and other TTar.

623.png

Golurk @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 208 HP / 48 Spe / 252 Atk
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Hammer Arm
    - Shadow Punch

Here he is, the machine of the hour! I'm already sad trying to find ways to utilize him without coming to the realization that he can be easily crushed by mostly everything. I went with the Choice set, giving him EdgeQuake (which does work with his high ATK). So, anything that is weak to either can be dealt with by the robo-golem. Changed Toxic to SHADOW PUNCH for extra STAB and a better move for a CB set (thanks, PlatinumDude!) Golurk is in desperate need of a lot of support. Entry hazards, spin support, and something to paralyze and slow down opponents.

642.png

Thundurus @ Leftovers
    Trait: Mischievous Heart
    EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt / Volt Change
    - Thunder Wave
    - Taunt
    - Hidden Power Ice

If I'm making a Golurk team, the thunder genie has to be on it, no question. His Mischievous Heart set is the ultimate support for Golurk - priority taunt and thunder wave to stop entry hazards and the latter gives Golurk some much needed advantage. Vital Stealth Rock setup for Thundurus is available in the form of Metagross. HP Ice takes care of those resistant to Tbolt, the big STAB attack. I'm really into this guy, I think he's the crux of the team.

Spr_5b_598.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed/Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball
    - Power Whip

Let's set up some spikes! Figured Golurk needs all the entry hazard help he can get, so why not use the awesome Ferrothorn? Thinking I need to make it more of the defensive core of my team, not sure about the EV spread if this should be the case. Maybe SR instead of Leech to lay down more hazards? Or I could run a set with thunder wave...would that be too much like Thundurus, or would that be helping Golurk? I'm starting to feel like I'm running in circles.

Spr_5b_593_m.png

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Boiling Water
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt

Decided to go with Jellicent over Starmie, still thinking about Vaporeon. Had to have a Bulky Water guy and he is the one. Takes care of fire-types and also prevents entry setup with taunt. Recover is what makes me lean toward him over Vaporeon. Having taunt and will-o-wisp makes him a better supporter than Starmie to Golurk.

Now that I've gotten rid of Metagross, I need one more poke. Here is what I'm debating over:

front.png

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast

or
    Spr_5b_448.png

Lucario @Lifeorb
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Sword Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - Close Combat
    - Extremespeed

I'm really leaning toward CM Reuniclus. I think it's a cool poke and it seems to be pretty darn good. If anyone has any other suggestions for my last slot, let me know! Thanks for all the help so far!

Keep it coming!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    Heh i think ur better than you give urself credit for. This is a good team.
    I personally use Vaporeon as my bulky water, and love it. The two you put down are fine, this is what works for me:

Vap @ leftovers
    252hp 200def 56spD
    Bold
    Water absorb
    ~ Wish
    ~ Protect
    ~ Boiling water
    ~ Toxic / Ice beam

Id also get rid of metagross and use mixed Ttar as a lead.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Heh i think ur better than you give urself credit for. This is a good team.
    I personally use Vaporeon as my bulky water, and love it. The two you put down are fine, this is what works for me:

Vap @ leftovers
    252hp 200def 56spD
    Bold
    Water absorb
    ~ Wish
    ~ Protect
    ~ Boiling water
    ~ Toxic / Ice beam

Id also get rid of metagross and use mixed Ttar as a lead.
    I think Jellicent is better than Vaporeon as a bulky Water because of its ability to Recover off damage without resorting to Wish. But Vaporeon is still good for healing your teammates with Wish.

Why does Golurk have Toxic with a Choice Band? All it can do if it has it is get in, poison something, get out. I think Shadow Punch can replace it to give you a second STAB as well as another attack that benefits from Iron Fist.

RodeoJones

True Blue.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks, guys. Took everything into consideration. Now I know either Jellicent or Vap (leaning toward Jelli), TTar for my lead - and I got rid of metagross.

Now, who can I bring in? I was thinking Reuniclus or Lucario.

Changes have been made in OP.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Back