• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VS Animation for Ver 16.2

Years
This is frustrating me to know end because I'm obviously not getting this.
Last time I had this problem I was able to fix it by replacing RIVAL1 with the character I wanted, but now there's going to be thirteen characters (currently seven) that I want to use the VS animation for and I can't just make them all "RIVAL1."

This is the script that Essentials gave you that has the VS animation in it.

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL1,"Blue",_I("Not too shabby."),false,0)

And this is the script after I replaced what I need for the battle I want:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers:: PSYCHO,"Rikuto",_I("..."),false,0)
(Without the space between the : and the PSYCHO. I had to put in a space to make it not :P at you.)

But I can't get the VS animation to play out.

In case you're wondering, this is what the Transitions folder looks like (ignore the colored background. I'll make them transparent if I can figure this problem out first):
Spoiler:

I tried doing what the wiki tells me to do and edit the scripts, but I had to stop after it tells me to look for the script for "PokemonTrainers," which is a script I do not seem to have. Is there even a way to do what I want to do for 16.2 yet?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen today
This is frustrating me to know end because I'm obviously not getting this.
Last time I had this problem I was able to fix it by replacing RIVAL1 with the character I wanted, but now there's going to be thirteen characters (currently seven) that I want to use the VS animation for and I can't just make them all "RIVAL1."

This is the script that Essentials gave you that has the VS animation in it.

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RIVAL1,"Blue",_I("Not too shabby."),false,0)

And this is the script after I replaced what I need for the battle I want:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers:: PSYCHO,"Rikuto",_I("..."),false,0)
(Without the space between the : and the PSYCHO. I had to put in a space to make it not :P at you.)

But I can't get the VS animation to play out.

In case you're wondering, this is what the Transitions folder looks like (ignore the colored background. I'll make them transparent if I can figure this problem out first):
Spoiler:

I tried doing what the wiki tells me to do and edit the scripts, but I had to stop after it tells me to look for the script for "PokemonTrainers," which is a script I do not seem to have. Is there even a way to do what I want to do for 16.2 yet?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, so the wiki says to name your trainer Mugshots like so:

Code:
Graphics/Transitions/vsTrainerXXX.png
The "XXX" is either the internal name or the ID number (not padded) of a trainer type, which means a VS. animation will play for every trainer with the same trainer type (as long as the required graphics exist for that trainer type).
So if you want to name it by trainer type internal number, you need to check the PBS file trainertypes.txt for your Psycho class.
In example, the trainer battle that uses vsTrainer2.png needs to have trainertype 2 as the first number in the list.
Code:
[B]4[/B],RIVAL1,Rival,16,,,,Male,,
(That's the number your Mugshot needs, depending on the trainertype)

Ryz

Years
To expand on what Vendily said, you can do that one of two ways. You can also use the internal name.

For example, in my game, the internal name of one of my gymleaders is LEADER_Squitus.
So you'd have to name the vs files as vsTrainerLEADER_Squitus.
Keep in mind the caps. It has to be in the same case as the internal name.

As Vendily said you'd have to make a new trainer type.
You don't need any code at all. With new essentials its all done for you.

So you have to make a trainer type, then either use the traiertype id or the internal name. Keep in mind both the face and bar have to be renamed or it won't play.

It took me a while to get it too.

There was a time when you needed to add the script in the event.

One other thing, I haven't tried, but with RPG-Maker XP you don't have to make it transparent. I find it easier to have a background. Just don't copy it directly into the folder. in RPG-Maker XP at the top, next to the script editor there's an icon called materials. Click that, select the folder, then import, then right and left click the background it it makes it transparent automatically. Juat make sure none of the colors in the image are the same as the background.

Also, trainer0 and trainer1 are the player characters. So if you're male it'd be trainer0 and female trainer1. I don't know if you're having your game with those sprites for player characters. Just thought I'd point it out.

Last edited:
Years
Oh sweet! I finally got it by replacing the files with VSTrainer#! And also VSbar#. I actually didn't know that you had to change the VS bar specifically.

Thank you you two!

Back