• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trick Room, or Troll Room?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • My second Gen V RMT. Because my last team failed I decided to get Opposite Day someone to help me with it. I had already decided on the Trick Room scenario, and built a team around that.
    Be warned that this is one hell of a gimmick team.

Team Building Process:
    579.png

I knew I wanted Trick Room on my team, and that Rankurusu was pretty reliable at setting it up, so I chose that.

579.png
    626.png

Next I needed something that was bulky and can sweep at the same time. Oppowdon recommended Baffuron, since it doesn't have much speed, and has a lot of bulk, with some fighting power.

579.png
    626.png
    376.png

Next I was thinking of something that could do some more setting up with the most needed move, Stealth Rock. Metagross could do this quite well, so I chose him to do it.

579.png
    626.png
    376.png
    534.png

I needed something that wouldn't be taken down easily, as well as function under Trick Room conditions quite well. Roobushin seemed to be able to do this, so he was the man for the job.

579.png
    626.png
    376.png
    534.png
    233.png

With the lack of Trick Roomers in my team I needed something else that was bulky and could set it up. Porygon2 appealed to us ever since the pre-evolution stone came out, which would really bulk up it's defenses.

579.png
    626.png
    376.png
    534.png
    233.png
    385.png

I needed something that could work outside of Trick Room conditions, as a late-game sweeper/annoyer/troll. To keep with the theme, Jirachi was chosen with the ability of Serene Grace and Flinch/Parahax etc.

579.png
    626.png
    376.png
    534.png
    199.png
    385.png

At this point in time, we had realised that I didn't have any means of a Fire Resistance, one of the most common types in this metagame. Slowking was chosen for the ability of Regeneration and having a bulkier Sp. Def than it's counterpart.

579.png
    626.png
    437.png
    534.png
    199.png
    385.png

At this point, two Trick Roomers didn't seem like enough, and felt like I needed another one. After the heartbreak of knowing that Metagross can't learn Trick Room, I thought of replacing it with Bronzong, since it can set it up, and also still supply Trick Room.

This is my final team that I intend to play with.

At a Glance:
    579.png
    626.png
    437.png
    534.png
    199.png
    385.png

In-Depth:

579.png
    Bag_Life_Orb_Sprite.png

Rankurusu @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Nature: Quiet (-Spe +SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Def
    PsychicIC_Big.png
    Trick Room
    PsychicIC_Big.png
    Psycho Shock
    GhostIC_Big.png
    Shadow Ball
    FightingIC_Big.png
    Focus Blast

Rankurusu is my lead and a good one at that. Not many people suspect Rank to be used as a lead nowadays, and most people don't even have a check for it either. With Rank's bulk and above average Special attack stat I went for the sweeping Trick Room set. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast get full coverage still I believe and Psycho Shock is there for nailing other's defense and as a STAB move.

626.png
    Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png

Baffuron @ Leftovers
    Trait: Herbivore
    Nature: Brave (-Spe +Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
    NormalIC_Big.png
    Swords Dance
    NormalIC_Big.png
    Afro Break
    GroundIC_Big.png
    Earthquake
    DarkIC_Big.png
    Pursuit

Baffuron is my main physical sweeper under the Trick Room, and a good one at that. It has pretty immense bulk thanks to it's 95/95/95 defenses, and access to Swords Dance, which is always a good help. Herbivore means I can come in on any grass moves and gain a good attack boost from them. Afro Break is for STAB, and is pretty strong, since it uses an afro. Earthquake is for Rock/Steel types and Pursuit is so Ghosts can't escape so easily. Pursuit does seem a bit out of place here though, so Wild Bolt may be used instead for Skarmory.

437.png
    Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png

Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    Nature: Relaxed (-Spe +Def)
    EVs: 252 HP, 152 Atk, 96 SpD, 8 Def
    PsychicIC_Big.png
    Trick Room
    PsychicIC_Big.png
    Hypnosis

RockIC_Big.png
    Stealth Rock
    SteelIC_Big.png
    Gyro Ball
    My second Trick Room support and only form of entry hazards. Bronzong is usually the second thing to go out after Rankurusu to immediately set up Stealth Rocks. I had no idea what to use for this set since there's a lot Bronzong can do, but not a lot that it can perform at once. I wanted to use the standard set for Trick Room, and use entry hazards on as well, which is why boom isn't visible on this set.

534.png
    Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png

Roobushin @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    Nature: Brave (-Spe +Atk)
    EVs: 252 Atk, 136 SpD, 120 HP
    FightingIC_Big.png
    Bulk Up
    FightingIC_Big.png
    Drain Punch
    FightingIC_Big.png
    Mach Punch
    RockIC_Big.png
    Stone Edge

Roobushin seemed to fit well in my team, since almost nothing can really do anything about it except Desukan. I'm running him in my team since it is quite slow and can actually put a dent in everything. We were thinking of using Hammer Arm in there over Mach Punch since the speed decrease would help under Trick Room conditions, but we opted for Mach Punch instead for when Trick Room ends. I'm running Stone Edge over Payback since it's a Trick Room team, and not much will be outspeeding Roob under said conditions.

199.png
    Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png

Slowking @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regeneration
    Nature: Quiet (-Spe +SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
    PsychicIC_Big.png
    Trick Room
    PsychicIC_Big.png
    Psycho Shock
    WaterIC_Big.png
    Boiling Water
    NormalIC_Big.png
    Slack Off

Originally, Porygon2 was going to be here because of it's bulk and ability to set up Trick Room, but I decided on using Slowking instead. I could have used Slowbro, but we opted for this guy since it has the ability to use Nasty Plot (which I didn't end up using) and has a better Sp. Def stat. Slowking also acts as my primary fire resist, since I was lacking one, and my third and last Trick Room support. I had no idea what moveset or EVs or nature to use, but this seems to be my best bet at doing anything with it.

385.png
    Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    Nature: Jolly (-SpA +Spe)
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    ElectricIC_Big.png
    Thunder Wave
    SteelIC_Big.png
    Iron Head
    NormalIC_Big.png
    Substitute
    NormalIC_Big.png
    Wish

Jirachi is usually the last Pokemon I send out, or when the Trick Room effects are over and I can't do anything to set it back up. Jirachi could also be called the "troll" of the team, with it's ability of Serene Grace and the power to annoy others using the paraflinch combo of Thunder Wave and Iron Head. Body Slam may be more viable to Thunder Wave with it's 60% chance of paralysis and being able to hurt others as well. Substitute and Wish is there to really annoy at the end, as well as healing and blocking status.

Conclusion:
    I know this team has it's flaws, which is why I'm making this RMT to start with. I'm also feeling a bit iffy on having four psychic types and two of my Pokemon being sceptible to fire attacks.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Hm, why not include something strong/fast with Fling and an Iron Ball~? Gliscor would be good, especially with Acrobat! Use it on the last turn of Trick Room so hopefully you have the first attack on the next turn as well~
    Just trying to make a suggestion, here! :'D

Parivir

rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    Years
  • I should recommend a spot for Shubarugo. It can Megahorn its way out of every tight spot, and 20 Base Speed under trick room is especially useful. He also massively decreases the number of checks this team has, such as Calm Mind Suicune who could set up on anyone bar Rankuruusu and sweep everything that's not Slowking (who can be dead considering all Suicune's suggested Team Memers can all learn Thunderbolt). Shubarugo also effectively deal with threats such as Gochiruzeru, Umbreon, and any dark types that can mess up your plans, and allow Rankurusu to sweep unhindered with its check knocked out. The question is, which pokemon should be taken out for Shubarugo to fill in? Also, Jirachi should be taught Trick Room instead of Substitute if all it's gonna do is spam Iron Head.

Back