• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So here's the last bit of information I need...

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
  • For my next fic, I've got all the information I need. I have a plan, a story, characters, arcs, everything. Except one thing. The D/P/P Rivals English Name. In Japanese it is Jun. However, I've never seen a confirmed name in English (like Lucas and Dawn). Now, I've narrowed it down to a few choices that I've researched. The three most likely confirmed names are...

Damion

Rey

Chase (interesting coincidence because this is the name of my main character in my current fic)

Of these three, most of the evidence points towards Damion. However, if anyone has any other information or insight. Please voice yourself!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Anime characters' names tend to be available as optional names for their game counterparts. So, for example, Ash was a default possibility for the main character in RBY, whereas Gary was a default possibility for his rival. May is available for the female character in RSE (and is in fact her name if you choose to use the male avatar), and the same story goes for Dawn.

That said, out of those choices, as far as I know, only Damion's an actual option for Pearl. I've never heard of either of the other two be proposed as names, but then again, I haven't really been paying too much attention to the speculation threads.

Alternatively, I've heard Barry be used often as an alternate name for that character whenever someone attempts to write DP fic. If you used that, it'd be understood you meant Jun.

Or you could simply go the easy route, look up everyone's Japanese names, and write a fic using just those instead of the dub ones.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • Well since there is no dub name yet, you really couldn't go wrong if you named him whatever you wanted as long as you made the reader aware that it is the D/P/PT rival and not some carbon clone. Though I do suggesting using one of the three you researched (Damion especially) since they're the more recognizable with the fandom.

Feathing

Water Gym Master
    Years
  • Well, as Behind The Name says, Jun is a chinese name that means 'Ruler' 'Talented' 'Supreme'. You could search an English name with the same meaning. I would offer Eric/Erik which means 'Ever Ruler'.
    But this would mean you put more liberty in the choosing of names. If you want to be loyal to Nintendo and give your character the REAL name, well good luck I can't help XD

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • His English name is Damion, I know that for a fact.
    If you want people to understand who you're talking about in your story, use Damion.

If you don't trust me, just wait until the English version of the episode airs, it's not long now. Something like five episodes to go, before they air it...

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • His English name is Damion, I know that for a fact.
    If you want people to understand who you're talking about in your story, use Damion.

If you don't trust me, just wait until the English version of the episode airs, it's not long now. Something like five episodes to go, before they air it...

I've heard this to. What was you're source? (You see I'm kind of OCD about this, I really need to have the right names or it drives me crazy.)

Raibutai

Pixels and Pikachus. Bliss.
    Years
  • You know, you should probably try using the Japanese names, instead of worrying about the dubbed names, as said before.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • You know, you should probably try using the Japanese names, instead of worrying about the dubbed names, as said before.

I would, but honestly, I like the dubbed names more and it'll be easier to keep track of them. Besides, everyone uses the japanese names and I know NOTHING of japanese culture. The only thing I know about the japanese is a few basic words I've learned from watching subbed Bleach and Shippuden. It's my personal opinion that you shouldn't use japanese names unless you have thorouly (please correct me if I mispelled that word) researched the japanese culture or you know about the japanese culture.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I agree with your opinion on using Japanese names, excluding the people of Kanto. I consider them to be the closest to 'real' Japan as it gets in the Pokemon world, so whenever I have a crazy need to create a Japanese character (usually a minor one) I vouch on making them Kantonian.

Ehem... *coughs* As for your original question, there's really no way to know what Jun's going to be called in the English dub (excluding Swift's 'facts'), so it's probably a good idea to either use Jun and make him move from some other region like I do, take a handy-dandy look at his optional names in-game and pick one, or go to some name-meanings site (Behind the Name is nice) and pick one that actually suits him.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I agree with your opinion on using Japanese names, excluding the people of Kanto. I consider them to be the closest to 'real' Japan as it gets in the Pokemon world, so whenever I have a crazy need to create a Japanese character (usually a minor one) I vouch on making them Kantonian.
    Pardon me for asking, but why would you consider Kanto the "closest to 'real' Japan"? I'm just wondering what qualifications a region has to follow to be considered as "real" Japanese, since all the regions are based on Japan. I'm wondering why Jun has to be from another region than Sinnoh (which is based on the Japanese island of Hokkaido) to have a Japanese name when all the regions are technically "Japanese", with the possible exception of Orre.

But I'm also another one who agrees that one should have a more firmer grasp on the culture of a place before using names from that culture. But on the other hand, the Pokemon world has more of their own culture.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • Pardon me for asking, but why would you consider Kanto the "closest to 'real' Japan"? I'm just wondering what qualifications a region has to follow to be considered as "real" Japanese, since all the regions are based on Japan. I'm wondering why Jun has to be from another region than Sinnoh (which is based on the Japanese island of Hokkaido) to have a Japanese name when all the regions are technically "Japanese", with the possible exception of Orre.

But I'm also another one who agrees that one should have a more firmer grasp on the culture of a place before using names from that culture. But on the other hand, the Pokemon world has more of their own culture.

actually, your statement about Kanto being the closest stumped me as well. Honestly, if any inparticular region is closest, its Hoenn because, in the games, most of the buldings and houses still look like they are from Japan. But, the fact is, they all represent a different Japanese Island, so they all represent Japan equally. And no, Jun is from Twinleaf... that's why they call it Twin Leaf shipping and its why, in the anime, he supposed to say that he's from Twinleaf. No reason to make him from another region.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Pardon me for asking, but why would you consider Kanto the "closest to 'real' Japan"? I'm just wondering what qualifications a region has to follow to be considered as "real" Japanese, since all the regions are based on Japan.

No problem. It's just that to me, the earlier Pokemon regions seemed a bit more similar to the actual real-world Japan before they began modifying the in-game regions (rotating a region, etc). :/ It's some odd reasoning I have that nobody else understands. x3

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • No problem. It's just that to me, the earlier Pokemon regions seemed a bit more similar to the actual real-world Japan before they began modifying the in-game regions (rotating a region, etc). :/ It's some odd reasoning I have that nobody else understands. x3

While I can understand this sort of reasoning for Hoenn and Sinnoh (because they're not overly what one would think of as Japanese in terms of culture... and Hoenn has a literal rain forest complete with banana-touting pokémon for no apparent reason), I'm just wondering how Kanto wins out the "most Japanese" title over Johto and its Kansai-happy, we-have-pagodas-and-Osaka-and-geishas... ness. Pure curiosity, really.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Because I never actually played Gold, Silver, or Crystal, so Johto never registered in my mind as a possibility. xD [failure for not playing GSC]

Back