• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Got my 2DS - few questions regarding SS

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2016
    Finally got my 2DS from amazon...
    started my SS yesterday just to see how the console work and to make sure the game is working fine

sadly i choosed Cindaquill which i know is the best from the starters but i just LOVE Chikorita so im gonna start over

anyway i have few questions about my planned dream team!
    So please let me know how late in the game i need to be in order to catch those pokemons and if there are any others worth instead

1.Magnium - my main and my true LOVE :D

2.i want to catch Geodode early in the game but im sad i cant make it Golem because i have no 1 near me with a console! - is there any other way to get Golem without real life trade? if not i would like to hear which one u think should replace Golem in my list :)

3.Lapras - my favorite water/ice pokemon ! cute and strong! :D

4.That sheep lighting pokemon - i forgot the name ... the yellow one which i heard good things about!

5.a Flying pokemon! - maybe Lugiaa?or something else ? - do i even need Flying pokemon?

6.im thinking about Gengar/or maybe one of the new Eevvee Evolve but im not sure which one is better

sry for my english in advance...
    i played Pokemon Gold when i was 12 maybe? now im 25! so i forgot many things !!! :D :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2016
    1. Meganium? You get this Pokemon after you evolve Chikorita at level 36, I think.

2. Unfortunately, you do have to trade to attain Golem, as there's really no other way. What other Rock-type Pokemon other than Golem are you fond of?

3. Union Cave/Safari Zone.

4. Mareep? You can catch this one at Route 32, Route 42, and Route 43.

5. You most likely do if you want to use the HM Fly and have an easier time traveling across the region. It's for this region that I caught something kind of meaningless like a Pidgey to serve as my HM Slave for Fly, though I'm not sure if you're willing to go a different route. I wouldn't wait until the end to catch Lugia though; iirc you catch it pretty late in the game, betweeh the 7th and 8th gym or so? Somewhere arounnd ther.

6. You need to trade for Gengar. Unless you have another DS around or someone to trade with, you're out of luck here. Your best bet is to get an eeveelution, most likely.

Good luck with your adventure! :> HGSS was one of my favorite games after Emerald.

HEY!
    thanks for the tips

i made some research and it seems Meganium is one of the worst starters ever : {{
    so im thinking about Fire/Water ones now...

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • HEY!
    thanks for the tips

i made some research and it seems Meganium is one of the worst starters ever : {{
    so im thinking about Fire/Water ones now...

All Pokemon have something they suck at - including the starters. Your job as trainer is to work around their weak points to make them more useful as you build your team.
    - Cyndaquil: its attack stats are good as well as its speed, but it's essentially a glass cannon and won't last very long against weaknesses (Whitney's Miltank says hi with Rollout). Due to having the most advantages against gyms, it's for an easy play through.
    - Totodile: balanced stats all around where it's not particularly special at anything, but has a good movepool where you can mold it in either direction as a special or physical sweeper. This Pokemon is for intermediate players.
    - Chikorita: what it lacks in a wide movepool and attack attributes, it excels at status infliction, status boosts, and being a tank. If you want something to set your opponent up before letting a speedy sweeper go in for an easier KO, then something bulky like the Chikorita line will be up your alley. This Pokemon is for more advanced players.

The way starters are set up is that they have something they excel in and a team with all three strikes a perfect balance (more or less). Ofc the game can't make it easy for you to have this, so with others outside of the starter you choose, you'll have to get a little inventive to compensate.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Meganium - It evolves from Bayleef at around Level 32. So unless you solo the whole game with Chikorita, you should theoretically get it between gyms six and seven (so on your way to Mahogany Town and doing the Rocket Hideout.)

Golem - Sadly unobtainable without trading. A good replacement is Rhydon, or perhaps Sudowoodo

Lapras - Deep in the Union Cave on Fridays. Requires surf to reach, so you can get it after you get the forth badge (Morty.)

Ampharos - The earliest you can catch its earliest evolution (Mareep) is before the first gym badge. It's on Route 32 which is south of Violet City.

Lugia - You don't get to catch Lugia until you beat the eighth gym (Clair)

Eeveelutions - It's impossible to get either Leafeon or Glaceon (the two introduced in generation four) in HGSS. Getting the evolution stones for the original three are kind of annoying to get though. Thus, whenever I play GSC or HGSS I just end up getting either Espeon or Umbreon.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Meganium actually isn't bad, SS was the first game I played, and I almost beat it with meganium. Sure, it's tough, but it's not much tougher. Some tips:
    Defeat chuck and Jasmine before Pryce to gain some extra levels.

If you have good coverage, it doesn't matter what starter you choose.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Power matters very little unless you're desperate to just steamroll the game. And if you want that, you might as well just use 3 Pokemon rather than all 6 (your team will end up massively overleveled). Just use whatever you like best.

Back